The Politics of Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Re: The Politics of Coronavirus

Post by Gaz_Miller » 22 May 2020, 22:54

So Cummings travelled hundreds of miles, with coronavirus symptoms, to be with his family during lockdown.

This is a really test for the Johnson. Sack Cummings or else admit you’re one of the weakest leaders we’ve ever had.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 May 2020, 08:03

They're just talking about this on the news, gleefully by opposition MPs, calling for his regulation.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 23 May 2020, 09:43

One rule for us & another for the liars.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 May 2020, 10:01

Gaz_Miller wrote:
23 May 2020, 09:43
One rule for us & another for the liars.
Can you explain why mr I can’t do anything wrong Starmer, two of his MP's, Stephen Kinnock and Tahir Ali weren't asked to resign when they broke lockdown rules.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 23 May 2020, 15:24

The completely non-political point is that the substantial difference of course is that the two who have resigned have done so because they were found to be acting in contravention of the policy of Lockdown that they had contributed to, either in development or implementation. Thus their actions , contravening the guidelines that they had advocated, had caused their position to be both hypocritical and also utterly untenable. The Tories in Scotland and then the government were very keen to get rid of them both
This is no different with Cummings, who clearly believes he does not need to follow rules or laws. His actions have clearly been in contravention of the spirit and the letter of the rules and policy of which he played a major in both its development and its implementation. STAY HOME was the mantra .

That people such as Gove should say today that "is not illegal to look after your children", completely misses the point, and once again shows how almost everything they are saying and doing is composed on the hoof without thinking through the full consequences. It may not be illegal, but if the “leaders” do not give a proper lead then why should the rest of us follow?.
If once you took a balanced, rather than a partisan view , then you would surely see and agree that Cummings position is untenable, both for the hypocrisy and also because of the terrible message he is putting out: do as I say not as I do.. Further who knows what lives his reckless behaviour has endangered.
The reality however is that Johnson would be left exposed as utterly clueless without his spin doctor daily deciding his tactics. This is why they are seeking to keep such a shallow person in post
However you have never shown that you are capable of taking a balanced view, and as such, will always seek to view those that you support with a favoured eye.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 May 2020, 18:00

trevormans wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:24
The completely non-political point is that the substantial difference of course is that the two who have resigned have done so because they were found to be acting in contravention of the policy of Lockdown that they had contributed to, either in development or implementation. Thus their actions , contravening the guidelines that they had advocated, had caused their position to be both hypocritical and also utterly untenable. The Tories in Scotland and then the government were very keen to get rid of them both
This is no different with Cummings, who clearly believes he does not need to follow rules or laws. His actions have clearly been in contravention of the spirit and the letter of the rules and policy of which he played a major in both its development and its implementation. STAY HOME was the mantra .

That people such as Gove should say today that "is not illegal to look after your children", completely misses the point, and once again shows how almost everything they are saying and doing is composed on the hoof without thinking through the full consequences. It may not be illegal, but if the “leaders” do not give a proper lead then why should the rest of us follow?.
If once you took a balanced, rather than a partisan view , then you would surely see and agree that Cummings position is untenable, both for the hypocrisy and also because of the terrible message he is putting out: do as I say not as I do.. Further who knows what lives his reckless behaviour has endangered.
The reality however is that Johnson would be left exposed as utterly clueless without his spin doctor daily deciding his tactics. This is why they are seeking to keep such a shallow person in post
However you have never shown that you are capable of taking a balanced view, and as such, will always seek to view those that you support with a favoured eye.
Once again you are acting like a journalist, every one of which on tonight's coronavirus briefing had the same question for Grant Schapps, who after saying for the twentieth time that he wasn't aware of the answer, ended up trying to get the topic back to where it should have been discussing an ongoing tragedy.
Some mention the two scientific experts who broke the rules, but none mentioned the two Labour MPs deliberately broke the rules, a small matter you overlooked in your comments. Is it only wrong if a Tory does it in your opinion, or is it wrong across the board.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 23 May 2020, 18:29

No

It's wrong if you implement the policy and then ignore it because you are special

You will note that I asked the questions before they were asked before the briefing

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 May 2020, 18:31

Still no mention of Kinnock and Ali though

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 23 May 2020, 19:44

but why would you mention others?

many others, including politicians of all colours, have ignored the lockdown

these mentioned by me were instrumental in developing and implementing the lockdown. Cummings was a leading light. If not the Top dog

Ms sturgeon made a point of making the scottish health woman apologise for her hypocrisy

it is typical that Johnson has not been out, poor old grant shapps was struggling , but Johnson left him to it

the antithesis of a statesman

do not tell me i am looking in hindsight

i have spoken of him continually for almost a year and more

he is a brown of the first order who tries to tell jokes, and only shallow thinkers think he is up to it

White G

Post by White G » 23 May 2020, 20:44

What normal person would drive 260 miles, breaking lockdown rules to dump your kid (who's very possibly a carrier) at your elderly parents house, who are in the vulnerable category??? Mad enough but they actually were confirmed positive cases. Now we're being told that this ISN'T illegal, I don't know how they think folk can swallow this, but very clearly there's one rule for them and another for us!

But besides the rule-breaking, why on earth would you risk the health of your elderly parents? The instructions are clear, you stay in and self-isolate!

Boris & the Tory party have failed again, showing they think they're above the law, and scarily they're allowed to behave in this manner.
Last edited by White G on 24 May 2020, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 23 May 2020, 20:52

And he went on another road trip five days later.

It’s totally indefensible. He has to go

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 23 May 2020, 22:01

And now number 10 have lied again after Durham police confirm they interviewed Cummings father.

We are being lied to day after day after day.

White G

Post by White G » 24 May 2020, 00:07

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out!

White G

Post by White G » 24 May 2020, 09:46

There's no Tories on here rushing to defend Bojo's handling of this one, as they simply can't.

The whole episode makes a mockery of the rules & laws of the UK. If people accept that this is acceptable behaviour from our elected leader in our democracy, then we're an even weaker, more spineless country than I thought.

Our leaders make rules & laws for themselves, make sure the rich avoid paying tax while the everyday man has to deal with crumbling public services, but this highlights crystal clear that these guys think they're above us. We're not all in this together, the elite can do what they like, treat us as 2nd class citizens, and we accept it happily as a nation. Welcome to the UK everyone!!!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 May 2020, 11:25

Assuming he turns around and asks Cummings to leave, can we be assured by you three that you won't come on here saying how weak Boris is for succumbing to public pressure. Or like with Ali and Kinnock will you just give him a free ride like you all seem to do with the bloke who let Savile off the hook.