tonyp

Bolton v Posh

Post by tonyp » 08 Mar 2020, 21:26

Must win.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

stumpy

Re: Bolton v Posh

Post by stumpy » 09 Mar 2020, 01:46

They all are from here on in...surely this one is one we will win...once again, we have premiership bound players in league 1 (Toney for instance) - something Bolton would love right now...Bolton 0 v 4 Posh (Toney x2, Dembele and Boyd)

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 09 Mar 2020, 14:06

No excuses whatsoever. We'll be 5th by the time we play but with our run-in, and our squad, the automatics have to be the aim.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Mar 2020, 14:30

Gaz_Miller wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 14:06
No excuses whatsoever. We'll be 5th by the time we play but with our run-in, and our squad, the automatics have to be the aim.
I don't think anybody is looking for excuses. Our aim is to finish as high as possible. Our run in does however look a better one than some of those around us but just because floundering clubs look to be easy games they very often turn out to be just the opposite. The clubs themselves are desperate to stay in their present league and the players themselves know that if they are playing next year for a league two club their earnings will decrease. Many of them will probably have to find new clubs anyway and saying you are with a League One club as opposed to a League Two club gives them a better bargaining tool to throw at a new club. These sort of fixtures at this time of the year can often be a damn sight harder than playing clubs towards the top. Mid table teams will throw on their young and aspiring youngsters (sometimes finding hidden gems) helping to produce freek results against top teams and the top teams can often start showing wobbles that they haven't shown throughout the rest of the season
I tell you, there is not an easy game from now until May!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Mar 2020, 20:28

Bolton Wanderers v Peterborough United

REFEREE: LEIGH DOUGHTY

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Matthew Parry and Oliver Bickle

Fourth Official: Conor Brown

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 09 Mar 2020, 21:02

ashman wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 14:30
Gaz probably thinks they are all easy with the squad we have.

We really need to win them all and it is going to be hard work.

I think that over confidence is something we need to be wary of, especially in this game.
The players will obviously think that Bolton are easy picking and Fergie has to remind them not to just assume we will win. At least not until we are 4 or 5 ahead.

ashman

Post by ashman » 10 Mar 2020, 06:19

tonyp wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 21:02
ashman wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 14:30

I think that over confidence is something we need to be wary of, especially in this game.
The players will obviously think that Bolton are easy picking and Fergie has to remind them not to just assume we will win. At least not until we are 4 or 5 ahead.
True, and I am sure that Fergie will be doing his level best to make sure that complacency doesn't creep in. The trouble arises when adrenaline is pumping through a player's body because they are winning by the odd goal. They become excited at the feeling of another three points being posted but suddenly they find that they have shipped an equalizer. The opposition, often fighting for their 'lives' are invigorated and disappointment and anger then takes over within our players and another goal, or even two, can easily be shipped. There would be nothing that Fergie could do about this sort of situation from the touchline!
That is why we will see many strange and unpredictable results appearing from now until the end of the season, not only in our league but at all levels of the game. It is why we all love the game! Ask Jurgen Klopp and the Liverpool players about complacency! They are professionals at the top of their games but they can still mess up at times!

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Mar 2020, 09:05

tonyp wrote:

Don't start putting words in other people's mouths Tony. I'll await your apology.

No football game is easy - however, with a squad worth £20m+ in League One, games come a little bit easier than for those clubs with no money.
Bolton, home or away, is the dream game at this stage of the season.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Mar 2020, 09:25

Gaz_Miller wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 09:05
tonyp wrote:

Don't start putting words in other people's mouths Tony. I'll await your apology.

No football game is easy - however, with a squad worth £20m+ in League One, games come a little bit easier than for those clubs with no money.
I know not where the £20m comes from, but part of that valuation is proving to be a wonderful asset warming the bench of a Championship club.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Mar 2020, 09:31

bristleposh wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 09:25
I know not where the £20m comes from, but part of that valuation is proving to be a wonderful asset warming the bench of a Championship club.
Are you rewriting history & claiming that Marcus was crap for us from August until November?

Without him & Toney during that period, we'd be nowhere near promotion now. And to think some people were saying that only a real football person understood Boyd's contribution.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 10 Mar 2020, 09:45

Gaz_Miller wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 09:05
tonyp wrote:

I'm quite happy to apologise if I've offended you Gaz.
But you do say, in your reply, "with a squad worth £20m+ in League One, games come a little bit easier"

I honestly believe that you expect us to win every remaining game whereas I hope we'll win them.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Mar 2020, 10:28

tonyp wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 09:45
I'm quite happy to apologise if I've offended you Gaz.
But you do say, in your reply, "with a squad worth £20m+ in League One, games come a little bit easier"

I honestly believe that you expect us to win every remaining game whereas I hope we'll win them.
I don't EXPECT it - I just understand having a squad worth more than probably every other in the league SHOULD put you on the front foot.

I think 7 of our remaining games are winnable & I'd be dissappointed with anything less. I'm sure all staff at the club would feel the same.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 14 Mar 2020, 01:54

Well, we wont lose tomorrow :-)

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 14 Mar 2020, 14:46

Even Evans couldn’t lose that one
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 14 Mar 2020, 21:03

According to the Pools Panel
Blackpool v Sunderland Away
Bolton v Peterborough Away
Bristol Rovers v Ipswich Home
Burton Albion v Wycombe Score Draw
Coventry v Shrewsbury Home
Doncaster v Wimbledon Home
Gillingham v Fleetwood Town Score Draw
Oxford Utd v MK Dons Home
Portsmouth v Accrington Home
Rotherham v Southend Home
Tranmere v Lincoln City No Score Draw

Gillingham would have done us a favour. Posh and Sunderland would have moved up one place in the table (to 5th and 6th). Fleetwood would have moved down to 7th.