The first quarter:
P11 W 5 D 3 L 3 F 26 A 15 Pts 18
The Second Quarter:
P11 W 5 D3 L3 F 17 A 13 Pts 18

So our overall record stands at:
P33 W16 D7 L10 F65 A39 Pts 55

After 33 games last season, the record was:
P33 W14 D10 L9 F51 A44 Pts 52

The great mystery of this season is how the team which is – comfortably – the division’s highest scorers and has the second-most clean sheets is still scuffling around in sixth/seventh position.

Another conundrum: around November time, who would have imagined that Boyd, Reed and Eisa would, by February, have become marginalised to the point of invisibility?

The backlog of opponents’ games in hand could have played out much worse. As things we stand, we face dropping to seventh and competing for the last play-off spot ….which is where we were at this time last year. Improvement? Our quarterly returns this season are a study in flat-lining. Fortunately, the figures conceal the fillip provided by the arrival of Szmodics, Taylor and Brown, and our third-quarter poor performances came earlier rather than more recently. The problem of the lack of goals from midfield seems to have been rectified, and we may see a refreshed and more disciplined Toney on his return against Portsmouth. There will be some sucking of teeth if Matt Godden’s injury-ravaged season still leaves him close to Eisa’s total.

The defence remains chronically goal-averse: the two goals from Butler and Kent don’t offset the four own-goals from Kent, Butler (2) and Mason. Ward also chipped in one, both literally and figuratively. Despite the creditable number of clean sheets, we’ve conceded more goals than any other team in the top eleven places.

Discipline remains a problem. Five red cards is not a helpful number. I seem to remember a run of three quick red cards towards the end of last season, which means we’ve notched eight reds in the span of a season. It’s not just Toney at fault. In the cup tie against Dover, with a three-goal
advantage Woodyard and Mason were booked in the 91st and 94th minute respectively. Move over, Ray Hankin.

Unsubstantiated Speculation: The recent lay-off came at just the right time. We may finish above Wycombe and Fleetwood, good for fifth place. In the play-offs, our proven ability to keep clean sheets may pay dividends.
Last edited by JohnC on 28 Feb 2020, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

bristleposh

Re: Third-quarter Report

Post by bristleposh » 27 Feb 2020, 00:07

Sadly doing these updates by quarters, doesn’t tell the story. I think every man and his dog could tell the major problem pre the transfer window was the diamond. That seems to have been put bed. The way the team was adjusted to cover the loss of Toney at Fleetwood was in hindsight not the right one, although in foresight a lot of fans could see that the answer would not include Eisa.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

Tariq

Post by Tariq » 27 Feb 2020, 07:41

"Scuffling around in sixth position" is a bit strong bearing in mind Posh are only six points off top with eleven games to go and have shown that they can put a run together post Christmas.

It's a division this season where all of the top ten can beat each other. Apart from Fleetwood who doubled us plus Portsmouth and Coventry who we soon play again, Posh have beaten 6 of the other 9 top ten teams.

That could become 8.

This season is still all about possibilities. I wouldn't want to predict the outcome.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 28 Feb 2020, 08:26

JohnC wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:48
We may finish above Wycombe and Fleetwood,.
We may indeed. We might finish in the top two. All we have to do is keep winning.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Feb 2020, 09:38

bristleposh wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 00:07
Sadly doing these updates by quarters, doesn’t tell the story. I think every man and his dog could tell the major problem pre the transfer window was the diamond. That seems to have been put bed. The way the team was adjusted to cover the loss of Toney at Fleetwood was in hindsight not the right one, although in foresight a lot of fans could see that the answer would not include Eisa.
There's a certain truth behind what you say but the change in personnel (Szmodics, Jack Taylor, Brown, and the re-emergence of Dembele, Knight and Butler plus Brown, Thompson, Ward and Mason) has been an even bigger filip to the team. These players have also fitted into the newer system very well. You have got to feel sorry for Eisa, Boyd, Reed and Bennett as none of them has really let us down and could still play a part for us towards the end of the season.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 28 Feb 2020, 10:22

ashman wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:38
bristleposh wrote:
There's a certain truth behind what you say but the change in personnel (Szmodics, Jack Taylor, Brown, and the re-emergence of Dembele, Knight and Butler plus Brown, Thompson, Ward and Mason) has been an even bigger filip to the team. These players have also fitted into the newer system very well. You have got to feel sorry for Eisa, Boyd, Reed and Bennett as none of them has really let us down and could still play a part for us towards the end of the season.
I agree with you, special mention to Bennett who I feel has been impressive in his few appearances this season and must surely feel disappointed to be usurped by Mason, who has looked like a fish out of water and appeared especially against Fleetwood to be carrying an injury.

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Feb 2020, 13:35

bristleposh wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:22
ashman wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:38
bristleposh wrote:
I agree with you, special mention to Bennett who I feel has been impressive in his few appearances this season and must surely feel disappointed to be usurped by Mason, who has looked like a fish out of water and appeared especially against Fleetwood to be carrying an injury.
I agree with you about Bennett. He is extremely good in a three but seems to 'dither' too much in a four. Mason has been very impressive whenever he has been used but I think you are right in that he was carrying an injury at Fleetwood, whether it was sustained during the game or beforehand who knows? Either way this should have been spotted like we did and he should have been pulled for Bennett. I would rather see Bennett than 'car crash' Beevers in that position, although the captain has improved in the last few games.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 28 Feb 2020, 13:37

:stupid:

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 03 Mar 2020, 22:49

Ipswich 0 Fleetwood 1

We’re down to 8th. Fleetwood still have a game in hand on us.

Shocking, truly shocking.

Oh, & despite what the ‘experts’ are saying, Joey Barton is doing one hell of a job. I’d have him at Posh in an instant
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 04 Mar 2020, 05:47

It's certainly shocking that Ipswich have dropped from 1st to 9th in a fairly short time.
It is going to be a tough run-in to determine the final top six.
All we have to do is keep winning and we'll be one of them.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 04 Mar 2020, 09:30

tonyp wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 05:47
It's certainly shocking that Ipswich have dropped from 1st to 9th in a fairly short time.
It is going to be a tough run-in to determine the final top six.
All we have to do is keep winning and we'll be one of them.
Ipswich have no money, at all.

Their manager wasn't allowed to sign anybody in January despite begging the board.

We didn't have that problem - quite the opposite.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 04 Mar 2020, 09:58

We should certainly try and get Barton in, get a different Fergusson from Everton as assistant, sign Ched Evans, perhaps Tyrell Robinson, is Adam Johnson available yet. If they’ve been banged up sign them we could have a team full of them