Ivan Toney

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29239
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 19 Jan 2020, 23:51

Expert analalist on Quests EFL show last night. Top of the bill was the Wimbledon game :oops: I assume it's available on catch up for those who wish to relive it.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 835
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Chenza » 23 Jan 2020, 19:39

I thought we wasnt selling ivan toney for less than 13 million ? Now Bristol city have offered 9 million and it could be excepted wtf
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16455
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by DaveLister » 23 Jan 2020, 19:44

Chenza wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 19:39
I thought we wasnt selling ivan toney for less than 13 million ? Now Bristol city have offered 9 million and it could be excepted wtf
According to the Bristol papers. No word from the club or indeed from the Telegraph
Image

pleasureboy60
Posts: 321
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by pleasureboy60 » 23 Jan 2020, 20:29

Now we will see how serious the club is about promotion.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29239
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jan 2020, 09:12

Promotion or not £9m is one hell of a lot for a league one player. He is the best we have had in the MacAnthony era and is well worth that amount, hopefully, the powers that be will see a few bob more coming our way with a promotion first and then massive sell-on clauses. If they are prepared to offer that with seven days left of the window, hopefully, they will pay more or be usurped before the end of the window, but preferably be brave enough to hang on to their prized asset for another five or six months at least.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18183
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 24 Jan 2020, 11:27

bristleposh wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 09:12
Promotion or not £9m is one hell of a lot for a league one player. He is the best we have had in the MacAnthony era and is well worth that amount, hopefully, the powers that be will see a few bob more coming our way with a promotion first and then massive sell-on clauses. If they are prepared to offer that with seven days left of the window, hopefully, they will pay more or be usurped before the end of the window, but preferably be brave enough to hang on to their prized asset for another five or six months at least.
Totally with you there bristle. DMac hopefully will have learned from previous seasons that getting rid of prized assets at this time of the year is only a way to temporary monetary gain. e.g. Boyd, CMS, Aaron, Gail, Washington, Bennett etc.
Toney really does seem to be in an even higher bracket than the aforementioned and will surely command even higher bids come the summer. I hope, and I am sure that Barry and DMac + Jason and Randy, have put a really hefty sell on clause to any sale plus possibly an international sell on clause as well.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29239
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jan 2020, 13:05

Just saw a car with number plate TON3Y pulling into Ashton Gate car park 😜
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18183
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 24 Jan 2020, 14:56

bristleposh wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 13:05
Just saw a car with number plate TON3Y pulling into Ashton Gate car park 😜
.... and I saw a car registration number ER1C 3EN pull into London Road! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Bluemike
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Bluemike » 24 Jan 2020, 17:03

It seems to me that the question to be asked in the boardroom is; "Right gentlemen. Are we selling Ivan and Marcus and making a fortune or are we going for promotion?"

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16455
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by DaveLister » 25 Jan 2020, 14:50

Bluemike wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 17:03
It seems to me that the question to be asked in the boardroom is; "Right gentlemen. Are we selling Ivan and Marcus and making a fortune or are we going for promotion?"
How else does our club stay in business?
Image

Bluemike
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Bluemike » 26 Jan 2020, 22:58

By winning games and ideally getting promoted. Selling the family silver is fine if you're happy to languish in L1. We've just beaten the top 2 and back in the playoffs. Do you seriously believe, DL, that we can maintain this momentum by selling our assets?

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18183
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 27 Jan 2020, 01:09

Bluemike wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 22:58
By winning games and ideally getting promoted. Selling the family silver is fine if you're happy to languish in L1. We've just beaten the top 2 and back in the playoffs. Do you seriously believe, DL, that we can maintain this momentum by selling our assets?
Of course you are right. Doing this self same thing has cost us at least two or three attempts in the past. We do need to sell to survive but maybe now with the help of Randy and Dr Jason we may be in a position of holding on to the 'crown jewels' as they have been called just long enough to provide a tilt at promotion.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16455
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by DaveLister » 27 Jan 2020, 19:09

Bluemike wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 22:58
By winning games and ideally getting promoted. Selling the family silver is fine if you're happy to languish in L1. We've just beaten the top 2 and back in the playoffs. Do you seriously believe, DL, that we can maintain this momentum by selling our assets?
As Ashman says, selling the likes of Gayle, Marriott and Assombalonga cost us in promotion bids. Here's a few facts :

We are not well supported. We cannot fall back on monies raised through the turnstile for team building.

Our method of attracting the likes of Toney and Maddison is promising them that if they perform, then we will not stand in their way should an acceptable bid come in .

Because of the previous two points, we are a selling club. Its simply that under Dmacs administration, we sell players for their worth, not the likes of Jimmy Bullard, Adam Drury and Martin O'Connor.

FFP prevents us from begging money from our investors.
Image

Bluemike
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Bluemike » 27 Jan 2020, 22:35

I can't argue with you when you say we're a "selling club". We've all seen it over the years and potentially it's gonna repeat itself with Marcus and (hopefully not) Ivan.
The issue for the fans may just be why pitch up when your best players are gonna be sold on and the club's happy for you to renew your season ticket to stay in L1.

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9636
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Brianposh » 27 Jan 2020, 23:17

Every Club in ALL the Leagues are selling Clubs.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Post Reply