The Politics of Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Re: The Politics of Coronavirus

Post by bristleposh » 18 May 2020, 14:24

Sorry I can’t comment I come from the shallow end of the gene pool
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 18 May 2020, 15:43

I understand.

You don't usually put forward an argument that stands up to scrutiny

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 20 May 2020, 10:32

If anyone doubts the level of competence of most of the current cabinet than all one needs to fo is listen to therese Coffeys prattlings yesterday

Even 10 downing street has disowned her

Believe it or not she is currently a secretary of state

Short shelf life I guess

But shes not the worst

Patel truss raab et al make her look competent

Still, PMqs will be interesting today

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 21 May 2020, 06:45

And yesterday we had the utterly incompetent priti patel being obliged to completely reversing her Home Office decision to not include foreign "less skilled" nhs workers who die in service
To ensure that their partners get the "death in service" benefit

She is both stupid and vindictive

There will need to be further Uturns in the next couple of weeks. When it becomes clear how stupidly crass her policies have been

She is so incompetent that even FL has prevented her ,The Home Secretary (!),from regularly appearing on TV during the biggest Home crisis for 70 years

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 May 2020, 07:03

trevormans wrote:
21 May 2020, 06:45

She is so incompetent that even FL has prevented her ,The Home Secretary (!),from regularly appearing on TV during the biggest Home crisis for 70 years
I know that a Labour government winning a second term in office must have been scary for the majority of people way back in 1950, but surely it wasn’t a patch on the Coronavirus, or were you taught Maths by Diane Abbott 😉

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 21 May 2020, 08:56

arsenal beat liverpool

a sad day in 1950

Poshay

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Poshay » 21 May 2020, 18:46

I don't know whether it is Government policy or just a lack of cohesion but the data that is presented at the teatime briefings changes from day to day. Now it is not possible to deduce how many deaths occurred in English care homes as compared to hospitals as was previously possible. Is this a ploy to confuse us even more?
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

trevormans

Re: Coronavirus

Post by trevormans » 21 May 2020, 19:46

I am not intending this response to be political.

I do believe that there is much in the briefings which is deliberately not self-explicit. At times it is embarrassingly obvious that the "experts" have been told not to speak out against the ministers.

I for example would like to see figures, charts or questions, relating to the regionalisation of the "R" number .

They say it is now between 0.7 and 1.0 I believe.
This may well be the case if taking an average, not least because the rate of infection (closely related to the R number) in London is now plummetting.

However , what is the rate say in Newcastle or Cheshire or Cardiff., or Dover ?? or scotland or Ulster, or cmbridge or anywhere

Decisions are being made based on a number of factors but the R is a serious contender. If say the rate in London is 0.5 and in both cheshire and say Newcastle is 1.2, then the mean (not weighted obviously) average of the three would still be less than 1.0 but decisions could be made on a Londoncentric basis, forgetting about the potential risks in Cheshire and newcastle. People would then die in Newcastle because of a bad basis for the decision

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 21 May 2020, 20:00

FL has now done 3 Uturns in 48 hours

1 death in service benefit
2 essential to have the App on phones (a la isle of wight)
3 foreigners working in Care or the NHS to pay for the NHS care for themselves and their families

This was compounded by FL massively overstating the cost of 3 when he said it would cost £900 million , when the reality is less than 100 million
though his incompetence is bad what made it far worse was how it made him (and of course Priti Patel) look small, petty and spiteful he looked.

this is not a leader. This is a self interested narcissist coward way out of his depth

And Starmer skewers him time after time.

No wonder he is now seldom seen, when all his life he has courted publicity

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 22 May 2020, 09:53

trevormans wrote:
21 May 2020, 20:00
FL has now done 3 Uturns in 48 hours

1 death in service benefit
2 essential to have the App on phones (a la isle of wight)
3 foreigners working in Care or the NHS to pay for the NHS care for themselves and their families

This was compounded by FL massively overstating the cost of 3 when he said it would cost £900 million , when the reality is less than 100 million
though his incompetence is bad what made it far worse was how it made him (and of course Priti Patel) look small, petty and spiteful he looked.

this is not a leader. This is a self interested narcissist coward way out of his depth

And Starmer skewers him time after time.

No wonder he is now seldom seen, when all his life he has courted publicity
That is the one thing that stands out like a sore thumb.

From all those appearances on Have I Got News For You, to being on the front pages for week after week during the Brexit debate. During the election campaign, he was on tv every time I switched it on. And then again for a few weeks after his victory.

Now, he's gone missing. The ONE time we do need to see him every day. I'll even give Trump some credit for this - at least he turns up every day.

Where is Johnson? He comes out once a week to get slaughtered at PMQs, and then goes & hides in his fridge again.

He's a showman, NOT a leader.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 22 May 2020, 10:17

the latest position is that because FL is being shown up to be totally at sea each time he is 3 metres away from Keir starmer, so Rees-Mogg is trying to change the arrangements in Parliament so FL does not look so helpless. They have delayed the next PMQ's for a couple of weeks, and soon we will have Cummings ramping up the noise from the backbenchers to give schoolboy support to FL.

This is a government not only without a midterm strategy but even its short term tactics fall apart within hours.

Does anybody expect Priti Patel's quarantine policy to work properly for more than a couple of weeks before it falls apart?

It will be interesting to see what Alternative Sage show up today probably online.

ashman

Post by ashman » 22 May 2020, 11:37

trevormans wrote:
22 May 2020, 10:17
the latest position is that because FL is being shown up to be totally at sea each time he is 3 metres away from Keir starmer, so Rees-Mogg is trying to change the arrangements in Parliament so FL does not look so helpless.
What has the Football League got to do with all this? :roll:
If you are referring to the Prime Minister then his name is Johnson or Boris Johnson. I notice that you don't refer to the opposition leader as KS, Priti Patel as PP, Matt Hancock as MH, Dominique Rabb as DR, etc. Maybe show a little respect to people who are trying to do the best they can in unusual circumstances. Remember, it is easy to criticise after an event instead of giving some (not a lot) of credit to those ministers who have been thrust into a completely alien and totally unknown situation for the first time in living memory. Nobody knows if a Labour Government would have coped better, as well as or even worse than the present administration. All your posts are simply political posturing!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 22 May 2020, 16:32

ashman wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:37
trevormans wrote:
22 May 2020, 10:17
the latest position is that because FL is being shown up to be totally at sea each time he is 3 metres away from Keir starmer, so Rees-Mogg is trying to change the arrangements in Parliament so FL does not look so helpless.
What has the Football League got to do with all this? :roll:
If you are referring to the Prime Minister then his name is Johnson or Boris Johnson. I notice that you don't refer to the opposition leader as KS, Priti Patel as PP, Matt Hancock as MH, Dominique Rabb as DR, etc. Maybe show a little respect to people who are trying to do the best they can in unusual circumstances. Remember, it is easy to criticise after an event instead of giving some (not a lot) of credit to those ministers who have been thrust into a completely alien and totally unknown situation for the first time in living memory. Nobody knows if a Labour Government would have coped better, as well as or even worse than the present administration. All your posts are simply political posturing!
It’s obvious Labour would have done so much better, we have it from the experts on here. Every time I’ve seen one of the opposition MPs on TV they have talked about what should have happened in March. Where were they in March when they should have been saying something not saying it in May when they know the answers. I call it after timing, the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The pictures online and in the newspapers are suggesting that the under thirties are ignoring the advice from the government, about social distancing, these are the folks that would do the same under any governmental advice, they are also the ones that would have had us remaining in the EU and being led up the garden path by Jeremy Corbyn.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 22 May 2020, 22:27

the one thing that is certain is that Corbyn was the major ally to brexit.

he was one of the worst things that have happened to UK because his incompetence allowed Johnson to further divide the nation. even worse he is denying democracy

Labour now has a leader who ,(not in hindsight,} will show what useless clown he is

Johnson is scared brownless to appear in public and now his puppet master is being shown to be an utter lying hypocrite, This is not hindsight, this is what I have been saying for over 3 years

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 22 May 2020, 22:54

So Cummings travelled hundreds of miles, with coronavirus symptoms, to be with his family during lockdown.

This is a really test for the Johnson. Sack Cummings or else admit you’re one of the weakest leaders we’ve ever had.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill