Indy 500 race in the USA

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Brianposh

Indy 500 race in the USA

Post by Brianposh » 23 Aug 2020, 20:07

Now on Sky t.v. the most wonderful sporting experience ever. The Indy 500 Annual Race. Very strange no fans there when usually 350,000 plus attend.
I have been very lucky to have attended twice over the years. My old friend Mario Andretti led the runners before the start. His Grandson is in the race.
These cars run at 230 plus m.p.h.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

ashman

Re: Indy 500 race in the USA

Post by ashman » 23 Aug 2020, 20:29

I really enjoy motor racing Brian in any form. Today I just happened to turn the TV on ( I think it was Ch4+) and there was a Mini race from Thruxton. There was a field of 20+ and the racing from these all identical motors was superb!
Cue bristle having a dig at motor racing being a non-sport, poor love!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 23 Aug 2020, 23:10

Brianposh wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 20:07
Now on Sky t.v. the most wonderful sporting experience ever. The Indy 500 Annual Race. Very strange no fans there when usually 350,000 plus attend.
I have been very lucky to have attended twice over the years. My old friend Mario Andretti led the runners before the start. His Grandson is in the race.
My son-in-law, who lives about 15 hours drive away, was planning on going. He would have watched it on the TV instead.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 Aug 2020, 23:28

Not a proper sport a bit like F1, neither of which require the actual athlete to use their own ability, relying heavily on technology, and not individual ability, stick Hamilton in a Williams Mercedes and he'd finish down the field, stick Latifi in a Mercedes or a Red Bull and he'd be up near the front.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 24 Aug 2020, 07:17

bristleposh wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 23:28
Not a proper sport a bit like F1, neither of which require the actual athlete to use their own ability, relying heavily on technology, and not individual ability, stick Hamilton in a Williams Mercedes and he'd finish down the field, stick Latifi in a Mercedes or a Red Bull and he'd be up near the front.
Pole vaulters rely on top technology in order to achieve success in their sport - or maybe according to bristle a non-spot! Sergie Bubka would be nothing without a top pole!

In F1, not even considering the mental aspect (reflexes, concentration, etc.), there is a lot of physical work for the top drivers that is hidden by the gear and car.
Brake pedals require force. Endurance. The thing that does separate F1 drivers from most sports is the G-forces. If you do not know how to handle G-forces, they will knock the wind out of you and whip your head around. Mark Webber, in particular, is very adamant about his physical fitness (the Tasman challenges and what not). One fun example of the physical skill necessary to drive in F1 is illustrated by Alonso and what he can do with his neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtKSGvVxw8

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Aug 2020, 08:33

I agree with you about the pole vault, they should get over the bar under there own steam with standardized equipment. They don't get any help in long jump, highjump, or triple-jump. Cricket and Golf are becoming like that with all the advances in equipment. Skill and athletic prowess is what makes a sport, not enhanced equipment, just my opinion and ignored by all those who like to watch souped-up motor cars buzzing round a track, invisible to most but for a few seconds, unless being watched on TV. As a spectator sport, cycling is even worse apart from events taking place in a velodrome.
they're a prat!

White G

Post by White G » 24 Aug 2020, 09:15

A bit of name-dropping followed by a negative post from Bristle. And people wonder why this forum is quiet?

After going go-karting once, I can tell you that it's physically & mentally very tough! While machinery & technology plays a part, it definitely is a sport due to the competitive nature & physical demands.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Aug 2020, 09:34

Ok it’s a sport, but only because White G went carting as a yoof
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 24 Aug 2020, 09:55

White G wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 09:15
A bit of name-dropping followed by a negative post from Bristle. And people wonder why this forum is quiet?

After going go-karting once, I can tell you that it's physically & mentally very tough! While machinery & technology plays a part, it definitely is a sport due to the competitive nature & physical demands.
Well said sir - and a capitulation from bristle! :clap2:

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 28 Aug 2020, 11:34

Brianposh wrote:
Each to their own, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than watch motor racing :D
It would be so boring if we were all the same! Vivre la difference!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 28 Aug 2020, 20:41

Wilco wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 11:34
I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than watch motor racing
I'm guessing you're exaggerating a bit there Wilco.
If you were able to stick pins in your eyes you would be unlikely to watch anything. :lol:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 29 Aug 2020, 09:46

tonyp wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 20:41
Wilco wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 11:34
I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than watch motor racing
I'm guessing you're exaggerating a bit there Wilco.
If you were able to stick pins in your eyes you would be unlikely to watch anything. :lol:
:D just a phrase I like to use when anyone tells me I should watch motor racing or rugby. But we’re all different and I understand why people watch different sports, I love watching golf but I know many people would rather watch paint dry.

White G

Post by White G » 29 Aug 2020, 10:34

Brianposh wrote:
Let's get back to the main reason Brianposh started this thread. Brian says that Mario Andretti is his "old friend", please elaborate?

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 29 Aug 2020, 11:07

White G wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 10:34
Brianposh wrote:
Let's get back to the main reason Brianposh started this thread. Brian says that Mario Andretti is his "old friend", please elaborate?
A very long story (see my book being published in next year or three). I worked with him for over 20 years as he drove one of our Lola Cars in the USA for many, many years and his son thereafter. I visited the USA many times and he came over to England quite often. I am lucky to own several mementos he gave me over the years including a watch.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

White G

Post by White G » 08 Sep 2020, 15:55

Thanks Brian, good claim to fame indeed.