Black Lives Matter

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DaveLister
Second Technician

Re: Black Lives Matter

Post by DaveLister » 08 Jun 2020, 21:25

Gaz_Miller wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 08:18
I'm going to hazard a guess that the first four posters in this thread all voted for Brexit.

Can you please confirm if I'm correct?
Is it acceptable that thousands of people ignored social distancing to gather to protest outside Downing St?

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 09 Jun 2020, 06:22

When was the vote

Was it about the same time when there was a substantial petition to take down the statue

Is there a link to the 56% vote

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jun 2020, 08:28

It is in Wikipedia I think there may be a link to it from there. If not I'll see what I can uncover. 100,00 have signed a petition to have his name expunged from the history books. Mind you out of a population of 63 million that's not a great percentage.
Political correctness gone mad these days,
you can't say Mongoose, you have to say
Special needs goose

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Jun 2020, 13:40

trevormans wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 06:22
When was the vote

Was it about the same time when there was a substantial petition to take down the statue

Horatio Nelson had links to slavery, shall we pull down Nelsons Column?

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jun 2020, 13:44

DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 13:40
trevormans wrote:
When was the vote

Maybe we should. We should not be celebrating anyone involved in slavery. By allowing tributes to those in the slave trade, we are accepting that it was ok.

Why shouldn't we pull down Nelson's Column? It would be a strong, clear message that the government & society are ashamed of slavery and are striving for equality.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jun 2020, 14:19

White G wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 13:44
DaveLister wrote:
trevormans wrote:
When was the vote

Maybe we should. We should not be celebrating anyone involved in slavery. By allowing tributes to those in the slave trade, we are accepting that it was ok.

Why shouldn't we pull down Nelson's Column? It would be a strong, clear message that the government & society are ashamed of slavery and are striving for equality.
Perhaps they should concentrate on matters of today not those of 300 years ago. What about the slavery going on all across Europe, where girls are brought to this country and forced to work as prostitutes. Or for that matter what about the animals who groom our young children for the sexual satisfaction of their friends and family, as in Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Bristol and many other cities across the UK. Perhaps you think that they don’t count because they are white, isn’t that racism too.
Special needs goose

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Jun 2020, 15:11

White G wrote:
DaveLister wrote:
trevormans wrote:
When was the vote

Are we talking about the same Nelson's Column which celebrates the contribution of black sailors at the Battle Trafalgar on its plinth?

You need to stay off the deep fried Mars Bars, mate.

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jun 2020, 22:10

bristleposh wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 14:19
White G wrote:
DaveLister wrote:

Perhaps they should concentrate on matters of today not those of 300 years ago. What about the slavery going on all across Europe, where girls are brought to this country and forced to work as prostitutes. Or for that matter what about the animals who groom our young children for the sexual satisfaction of their friends and family, as in Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Bristol and many other cities across the UK. Perhaps you think that they don’t count because they are white, isn’t that racism too.
You're going off on a tangent now. Same old story with all your comebacks.

So because there's bad stuff happening now, we shouldn't look at our past & try to rectify things a bit? Very bizarre point.

Yes, all these injustices should be stopped, I said nothing to suggest otherwise.

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jun 2020, 22:16

DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 15:11
White G wrote:
DaveLister wrote:

Are we talking about the same Nelson's Column which celebrates the contribution of black sailors at the Battle Trafalgar on its plinth?

I used the word "maybe" as I don't know the full history of Nelson offhand. The point I was making is that our links to slavery should not be celebrated at all.

Judging by your comment on the land where I live, you will be against this suggestion however! Amazing that in a topic regarding racism, you come up with something like that! If I lived in Africa, would you tell me I've been eating too many bananas????

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jun 2020, 22:49

White G wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 22:10

You're going off on a tangent now. Same old story with all your comebacks.

So because there's bad stuff happening now, we shouldn't look at our past & try to rectify things a bit? Very bizarre point.

Yes, all these injustices should be stopped, I said nothing to suggest otherwise.
Tangents, booga me, you're so far off on one, I think the world in your part of Scotland might be flat.
Special needs goose

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Jun 2020, 22:56

White G wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 22:16
DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 15:11
White G wrote:

I used the word "maybe" as I don't know the full history of Nelson offhand. The point I was making is that our links to slavery should not be celebrated at all.

Judging by your comment on the land where I live, you will be against this suggestion however! Amazing that in a topic regarding racism, you come up with something like that! If I lived in Africa, would you tell me I've been eating too many bananas????
:lol: Control your trendy outrage, Whitey. If you think that I need to resort to racism to win a battle of wits with the likes of you, you're even dumber than I thought
:

White G

Post by White G » 10 Jun 2020, 00:52

DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 22:56
:lol: Control your trendy outrage, Whitey. If you think that I need to resort to racism to win a battle of wits with the likes of you, you're even dumber than I thought
:
I'll tell the jokes Lister, half the threads in here have you running out of comebacks as your simple, dated, insular views are expose by the more intelligent members on here.

I don't know if you're just embarrassed as your backward views & behaviours are exposed & dismantled, but it's startling that you show racist traits (albeit mild) in an anti-racism thread then actually try to accuse me of being the dumb one. Car crash performance here Dave!😁🙄😁

bristleposh

Re: Black Lives Mat

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jun 2020, 05:45

I bloody give up. The world has gone mad. All the little Jeremy’s sprouting their nonsense, give back Ireland to the Irish, no matter that more than half the population want to remain as part of GB. They seem to think that everybody and their dogs from a previous generation were racists.
So all the history books should be destroyed and people made to ignore everything that happened in the world since before the Vikings and Romans invaded the better.
No doubt Jeremy’s throughout the World will still find something to complain about, some statue that needs pulling down.
All the atlases would need to be painted over so that there is no pink left on the map. What a wonderful place we would live in if nothing happened before the year 2010, when all the enlightened people discovered veganism, global warming, and the ability to blame everybody else for their own short comings.
Special needs goose

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 10 Jun 2020, 07:59

My favourite disdainful response to a statue is that in Glasgow where for the past many years the Duke of Wellington has had a traffic cone on his head

Probably an act of vandalism in the first place but now a prominent landmark loved by many if not most glaswegian

If mr colston had had such headgear on his statue in Bristol

It would have been a good halfway starting measure to cast disdain and lack of respect for a murderous bounder cynically referred to by bristle as an" entrepreneur ".(it may be true but so was **** turpin)

The Scots have managed the virus better than the english.
And ms sturgeon has turned up every day. Johnson pops into his fridge when answers leadership and honesty are required

Perhaps my wife's fellow jocks have more wit than the sassenachs
Cones is the answer

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 10 Jun 2020, 08:06

Richard turpins nickname known to us all was asterisked out!

Previously some of the less gifted have said...
I've been told I hate tories (wrong)
I've been compared to corbyn(I'm forever opposed to him)
I've been called ignorant(pots and kettles?)

But bleeping our most famous highwayman has surprised me