Holidays

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Holidays

Post by bristleposh » 30 Apr 2020, 16:32

Scary thought

I was reading an article in today’s issue of The Times talking about airports reopening. Their take on it was that if and when airports reopen it could be up to five years before things get back to the way things were. They spoke of four hours at the airport, prior to your flight so that medical tests can be taken. Everybody at the airport and on the flights, will have to wear a mask and that flights will only be able to fill 20% of its seats. This will be extremely difficult for the likes of EasyJet and Ryanair who apparently need to fill 80% to break even. Presumably the prices will have to quadruple to make it at all viable. So I’m guessing that at 72 that will be the end of my holidays abroad. My wife hates being at the airport two hours early. I don’t mind but I think all the extra drinking time might not be beneficial to how many times I’d need to visit the little boys room.

Is it possible they could be scaremongering or do people think that is what we have to look forward to.

Just as an added question within topic if somebody has bought advance tickets, will the companies be able to up their prices, or will they have to refund the people that had already booked especially if the number of tickets they had previously sold take them above that 20%.This was something I posted on tripadvisor just thought a few of you might like to comment.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

trevormans

Re: Holidays

Post by trevormans » 30 Apr 2020, 19:50

My holiday to Kitzbuhel in Austria in June has been cancelled today by TUI

I believe that their preferred option is for them to offer me a "voucher" for an alternative holiday at some stage in the future.

Their own cash flow will be in a dire strait. They also talk of a 20% additional offer whereby I will be able to use that as well, either for another holiday or to supplement perhaps an upgrade on the original holiday

I prefer to take a refund, which I understand is my legal right. (The Law was derived from the EU) And by law this should be paid back within 14 days

Of course these are not normal times so there is a need for some pragmatism both from them and also from their customers.

I guess I may be reimbursed by around September , but we will wait and see.

I understand that if I took a voucher , then I would not necessarily have the same "protection" (ATOL, ABTA, EU???) as I currently have.
This voucher might mean it is classified as a " new booking" and hence will therefore have been booked after the virus struck. If TUI were to go bust (not inconceivable) then I would have fewer legs to stand on.
This voucher is time limited to end next year. I am not clear if there is a requirement that it only applies to me and my wife,,(as at present) or whether i could let my daughter and her family have it

My two other fall back positions are travel insurance, in which I may well have to pay an excess

Or apply to my credit card for reimbursement, which again may be an option

We will see what happens

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 Apr 2020, 20:38

I think you’ll find (according to the BBC travel expert) that the voucher will be covered by ABTA in the event of TUI going south.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 30 Apr 2020, 21:19

There seems to be a lot of guessing going on here.
1. Anyone who books and pays for a holiday and doesn't take out proper insurance is being foolish.
All of the cancellations that happen because of this coronavirus would be covered by proper travel insurance.
2. Anybody who expects to get on a plane with no delays because of medical checking is dreaming.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 02 May 2020, 11:29

Apparently there is a major difference between being offered a voucher and a travel credit note

The latter has far more protection than the former in the event of the holiday company either going bust or if it cancels again then the protection if one makes a claim under insurance under the voucher rebooking is markedly less

I still expect to get my cash refund in the late summer

But my fallback is still a claim on insurance or a claim on my credit card

White G

Post by White G » 02 May 2020, 21:36

UK holidays are going to be more popular than ever I guess. The logistical challenges & lack of money is likely to prevent many from going abroad.

With Brexit & now this pandemic, the UK has to become more self sufficient in every way.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 08 May 2020, 12:09

White G wrote:
02 May 2020, 21:36
UK holidays are going to be more popular than ever I guess. The logistical challenges & lack of money is likely to prevent many from going abroad.

With Brexit & now this pandemic, the UK has to become more self sufficient in every way.
Such a shame a few racists voted to leave the EU, now we’ll never benefit from walking along the prom at Torremolinos. EasyJet and Ryanair will never carry full payloads to the sun again, every hotel in Greece, Spain, Bulgaria, Italy, France,Switzerland will deliberately remain half empty so that those accursed British don’t sully their dining tables ever again.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 08 May 2020, 14:25

would there be a reason why you brought Switzerland into the conversation

will the position of switzerland be substantially altered by the undoubted actions of the racists you mention?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 08 May 2020, 15:33

trevormans wrote:
08 May 2020, 14:25
would there be a reason why you brought Switzerland into the conversation

will the position of switzerland be substantially altered by the undoubted actions of the racists you mention?
I doubt it I only included them as it is a very popular option for skiing holidays. Which no doubt will appeal to those who wished to leave the EU.