The Politics of Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

trevormans

Re: The Politics of Coronavirus

Post by trevormans » 10 Jun 2020, 20:05

I understand we are split say 70/30 on either side of the political centre but I see how the YouGov's poll now has Johnson's approval falling and starmers rising above Johnson's. This is only a snapshot and will change as time goes by

Further my PMs credibility ratings are falling

I know those on my side of the divide think blondie is massively underperforming so there is not much point in asking what to us is self evident

But of those on the other side, do you feel disappointment or even embarrassment that he is below where you wish him to be in performance. Please do not include Corbyn in your answers. Just simple rational honesty would be pleasant

Let's see

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jun 2020, 21:25

White G wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 18:51

How was Cummings protecting his family exactly?
He did a pretty damn good job of it, certainly better than the job done by the McCanns
Political correctness gone mad these days,
you can't say Mongoose, you have to say
Special needs goose

White G

Post by White G » 11 Jun 2020, 12:36

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 21:25
White G wrote:

He did a pretty damn good job of it, certainly better than the job done by the McCanns
Yet another extremely bizarre response Bristle.🙄

Anyway, I saw this video which is over a month old & the reality is way worse now in terms of the UK'S performance:

https://youtu.be/bQDPQ8bz7cU

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jun 2020, 13:06

White G wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 12:36
bristleposh wrote:
White G wrote:

Anyway, I saw this video which is over a month old & the reality is way worse now in terms of the UK'S performance:

Remind self to watch at some stage in case it’s informative
Special needs goose

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Jun 2020, 15:24

it certainly seems to me to be a good case of" compare and contrast."

as I have said before , I would often try to picture what would be my reaction if it had been the performance of the current Opposition .

My reaction even when viewed with a balanced eye is that our government has massively underperformed here.

I believe that both countries went into lockdown on the same day

If you choose not to see it like that then maybe you could tell us how it is that they are doing anything resembling the superb job you have mentioned earlier.
or perhaps how it could be seen as doing an average job

65000 are dead.

if any of the great wits want to jump in and say "is this Corbyn speaking" or "I know you hate Tories" , then I think maybe you would do well to find another brain cell so that the other one does not feel too lonely.

White G

Post by White G » 11 Jun 2020, 15:35

Serious question, why are people so accepting in the UK of such a disastrous government? We have a unique mentality where we'll make up an excuse for things, or somehow claim it could be worse.

Is it unique to Britain as we accept being controlled by the upper classes? Or maybe it's a wider issue???

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jun 2020, 15:58

White G wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 12:36
bristleposh wrote:
White G wrote:

They have done a wonderful job in New Zealand. There is no argument about that but with a population about a 20th the size of GB and a density of 64 per square mile compared to England over a thousand is a little unfair. Why not compare to somewhere like Belgium who have had more deaths per million of population. Oh no of course not it doesn’t fit with your constant knocking of the legally elected government of this country. Give it a rest, and remove your head from your nether regions .
Special needs goose

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 11 Jun 2020, 16:07

White G wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 15:35
Serious question, why are people so accepting in the UK of such a disastrous government? We have a unique mentality where we'll make up an excuse for things, or somehow claim it could be worse.

Is it unique to Britain as we accept being controlled by the upper classes? Or maybe it's a wider issue???
Because we remember how bad Labour were

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Jun 2020, 21:23

just remind us

what were the bad bits under labour

and I wonder if you are alert enough to understand that the world financial crisis was no more to do with labour policy than the current virus problem was caused by the tories

and what were the good bits? perhaps you will grant that there are some

i won't forgive the iraq war so i will fully accept that as a bad bit

but tell us the bad bits apart from that

and then tell us the good bits from conservatives during the 1990s

or indeed from the tories since 2010

and then tell us the bad bits

or are you just working on knee jerk responses such as" if its not tory its bad?"

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 11 Jun 2020, 21:41

trevormans wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 21:23
just remind us

and I wonder if you are alert enough to understand that the world financial crisis was no more to do with labour policy than the current virus problem was caused by the tories

or are you just working on knee jerk responses such as" if its not tory its bad?"
Well, the Labour Party did release IRA terrorists as part of the deal to negotiate 'peace' in Northern Ireland.

Hows that?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jun 2020, 21:51

Three day week for starters, the Winter of discontent, nationalisation of coal, railway, steel, gas, electric etc with no investment, austerity policies continuing after the war for too long.
Special needs goose

White G

Post by White G » 11 Jun 2020, 23:52

DaveLister wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 21:41
trevormans wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 21:23
just remind us

Well, the Labour Party did release IRA terrorists as part of the deal to negotiate 'peace' in Northern Ireland.

Hows that?
They released terrorists from the other side too, why did you fail to mention this????

And why have you ignored the continued peace in Northern Ireland which started under Labour's reign. Surely you would appreciate that the peace over there is a tremendous achievement?

White G

Post by White G » 12 Jun 2020, 00:02

bristleposh wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 21:51
Three day week for starters, the Winter of discontent, nationalisation of coal, railway, steel, gas, electric etc with no investment, austerity policies continuing after the war for too long.
Don't make me laugh!!! The railways are being re-nationalised as we speak, as private firms have taken their subsidies, failed then left the taxpayer to pick up the pieces. Lots of other more successful countries than us have nationalised railways, please explain why this is a problem.

Steel has been privatised and has almost disappeared. I'm sure there's been a level of re-nationalisation here too as it's too important an industry to lose as we have to stay self-sufficient to a level.

Too much austerity? Are you sure you're not talking about the current government? Anyway, the work the post-war Labour government did on social housing was a tremendous achievement which hasn't been replicated by this government, despite a dire need.

No investment??? I thought it was Labour who over-invested & caused the credit crunch???

ashman

Post by ashman » 12 Jun 2020, 05:38

Please keep this thread to comments about the Politics of the Coronavirus. Other 'off topic' posts will be deleted.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 12 Jun 2020, 07:54

I do not understand why they are not splitting the primary classes into half and then the first half do monday to wednesday and the second half do thursday to friday

The following week it be reversed

That would not be ideal but at least all the children would be back into the discipline of schooling

My wife was a reception class and is fully supportive of the principle