The Politics of Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Bluemike

Re: The Politics of Coronavirus

Post by Bluemike » 15 May 2020, 21:16

This thread is becoming a little sad folks.
Politicians of all colours are liars. It's a prerequisite for selection.
Get over it!

White G

Post by White G » 15 May 2020, 22:29

Just imagine if Jeremy Corbyn had ignored all the medial professionals by shaking hands in a Corona ward, then proceeded to infect his pregnant wife, fellow cabinet members & others too I'm sure. These dangerous & utterly stupid actions would've been all over the papers & he'd be under unbelievable pressure!

Despite almost killing himself, putting his pregnant wife at risk, and setting an appalling example to his citizens, some people are still saying he's doing a good job. Johnson does what the billionaires want which his why he never gets any heat from the big media bosses, but it's truly amazing that some everyday people dismiss his antics as just "Boris being Boris"!!

Like I say, just imagine this was the Labour leader. I'm 100% sure that the Tories on here would be baying for blood!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 May 2020, 07:21

On this message board some members are spending time discussing Covid-19 (which has been described by the head of the United Nations as humanity’s worst crisis since World War II) when clearly we should all be worrying about the important stuff - how badly the Conservative government and the Opposition are performing.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 May 2020, 07:38

tonyp wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:21
On this message board some members are spending time discussing Covid-19 (which has been described by the head of the United Nations as humanity’s worst crisis since World War II) when clearly we should all be worrying about the important stuff - how badly the Conservative government and the Opposition are performing.
Maybe they are on the coronavirus thread, but in this thread people are sensibly sticking to the politics around the situation.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 May 2020, 08:20

White G wrote:
15 May 2020, 22:29
Like I say, just imagine this was the Labour leader. I'm 100% sure that the Tories on here would be baying for blood!
No, because that is not what sensible Tory voters would do, You only have to go back a few weeks to see some Richard Head shouting out stop Brexit outside Westminster, even though it had been voted for in a democratic way. It is not the right-wing way to go against the definition of democracy.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

White G

Post by White G » 16 May 2020, 12:46

bristleposh wrote:
16 May 2020, 08:20
White G wrote:
No, because that is not what sensible Tory voters would do, You only have to go back a few weeks to see some Richard Head shouting out stop Brexit outside Westminster, even though it had been voted for in a democratic way. It is not the right-wing way to go against the definition of democracy.
It happened with Corbyn in Northern Ireland, when meeting terrorist groups in the quest for peace made him an IRA sympathiser. Funnily nobody says this about Thatcher who did exactly the same, while the Tories only recently paid a £1bn bribe to an offshoot of a terror group.

He was also falsely accused of spying against Britain which was proven to be completely false. Can you honestly imagine a ridiculous story like that come up against a Tory? They can "lose" peadophile documents in order to keep rich child abusers out of jail, and even that doesn't get the same scrutiny.

The media is a joke in this country & really does threaten our democracy. Something like 83% of our media is owned by 7 people, all billionaires of course who want to keep their wealth. And the best way for the elite to keep their wealth is to support the Tories.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 May 2020, 18:48

White G wrote:
16 May 2020, 12:46
[

It happened with Corbyn in Northern Ireland, when meeting terrorist groups in the quest for peace made him an IRA sympathiser. Funnily nobody says this about Thatcher who did exactly the same, while the Tories only recently paid a £1bn bribe to an offshoot of a terror group. .
Perhaps that was because the Conservative government at the time was led by Margaret Thatcher, Corbyn was a backbench Labour Mp who was trying to break up the union. I’m not a mathematician but I can work out with a pencil why a nobody working with an enemy of the state may have brought him contempt from the mainstream. His quest for peace as you so eloquently put it was to sell out the unionists, he has always been an enemy of law and order.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 May 2020, 20:32

ashman wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:38
tonyp wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:21
Maybe they are on the coronavirus thread, but in this thread people are sensibly sticking to the politics around the situation.
It was a sarcastic "joke". Obviously went over everybody's heads.
My point is that (especially in the UK) the coronavirus is the thing everybody should be discussing. Looking for answers. Quoting real experts.
Whether or not the government could be performing better, whether or not League 1 is scrapped etc are far less important subjects.

" people are sensibly sticking to the politics around the situation." Sensibly? Politics should not be anything to do with it.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 May 2020, 22:05

White G wrote:
16 May 2020, 12:46
bristleposh wrote:
White G wrote:
It happened with Corbyn in Northern Ireland, when meeting terrorist groups in the quest for peace made him an IRA sympathiser. Funnily nobody says this about Thatcher who did exactly the same, while the Tories only recently paid a £1bn bribe to an offshoot of a terror group.

He was also falsely accused of spying against Britain which was proven to be completely false. Can you honestly imagine a ridiculous story like that come up against a Tory? They can "lose" peadophile documents in order to keep rich child abusers out of jail, and even that doesn't get the same scrutiny.

The media is a joke in this country & really does threaten our democracy. Something like 83% of our media is owned by 7 people, all billionaires of course who want to keep their wealth. And the best way for the elite to keep their wealth is to support the Tories.
Yes, Whitey, but Thatcher didn't attend rallies with Gerry Adams and the present Labour leader is the one who allowed Jimmy Saville to continue assaulting women for years.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 May 2020, 22:29

DaveLister wrote:
16 May 2020, 22:05

Yes, Whitey, but Thatcher didn't attend rallies with Gerry Adams and the present Labour leader is the one who allowed Jimmy Saville to continue assaulting women for years.
That wasn’t his fault, the police didn’t get enough evidence, same as the paedophile evidence in various cities which he couldn’t follow up on despite what was overwhelming evidence.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 17 May 2020, 08:18

I agree with Bristle that not only was it not his fault, it was not his responsibility to gather evidence.
The home office should give better instructions to the police
In any case you are only saying that in hindsight

FL should have been alert to the virus threat when it was made known to him in January and February.
Instead he spoke of the british spirit and preparedness to resist its advances and then took two weeks holiday

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 May 2020, 08:54

trevormans wrote:
17 May 2020, 08:18
I agree with Bristle that not only was it not his fault, it was not his responsibility to gather evidence.
The home office should give better instructions to the police
In any case you are only saying that in hindsight

FL should have been alert to the virus threat when it was made known to him in January and February.
Instead he spoke of the british spirit and preparedness to resist its advances and then took two weeks holiday
as opposed to SB (smarmy barsteward) who was aware of evidence dating back to 1978 but ignored it.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 17 May 2020, 09:32

I wonder what was in johnny rottens statement to the police?

And I wonder why the home secretary didn't rush to Margaret Thatcher and say "one of our good and reliable yeomen have done a nudge nudge wink wink about your favourite disc jockey who happens to be substantial donor to the tory party . If we arrest him then perhaps he might implicate half the cabinet."

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 May 2020, 10:19

trevormans wrote:
17 May 2020, 09:32
I wonder what was in johnny rottens statement to the police?

And I wonder why the home secretary didn't rush to Margaret Thatcher and say "one of our good and reliable yeomen have done a nudge nudge wink wink about your favourite disc jockey who happens to be substantial donor to the tory party . If we arrest him then perhaps he might implicate half the cabinet."
Certainly would have opened a can of worms, but better to have got a few evil barstewards off the street than let them continue to carry on with their rotten ways.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 18 May 2020, 13:50

bristleposh wrote:
White G wrote:
You really have not got the hang of this Democracy lark have you?

To say it is "not the right-wing way to go against the definition of democracy", is beyond one- eyed. It is the sort of opinion which those from the shallow end of the gene pool would come out with. Such closed minds were a major factor in other recent elections
Hitler was right wing, Franco was right wing, Pinochet was right wing . So many other extremist governments (right or left) have denied democracy. But you only see one side. Boris Johnson's government has continually been denying democracy by continually denying scrutiny, and denying transparency. He is genuinely contemptuous of Parliament. The heart of our democracy.

Your friend Richard Head that you mention was merely exercising his democratic right to express his wish and opinion. It may well be a forlorn hope, but so many resistance movements throughout history started when there was apparently no hope. You do not suddenly change your opinions purely because you have lost a vote. To be obliged to do so would truly be undemocratic.

To deny democracy is not a trait of the right or the left, it is a trait of the extremists of whatever hue.

It is typical of those who attack say the BBC, when it is there to entertain, inform and challenge. Over the last few year both Labour and Conservatives have attacked the BBC for being unbalanced. What they usually mean is that the BBC have put forward a view or facts which do not support their own side. The government will usually be the one that is challenged, whether Labour or Tory, because they are in power.

I asked you to demonstrate which facts of the recent Panorama programme you would say were untruths. You wee unable to do so. Your answer was nothing other than to attack those who bore witness. In some cases they were union activists, or similar, I accept that. I accept that they were motivated to stand up for their colleagues. But no one from the government has yet put forward challenges to the factual content of the programme. So although you might choose to vilify the programme on the strength of who was speaking, I would encourage you to look more at the message and less at the messenger.

A balanced view is always so much stronger than a one-eyed view.

This is why the Tory right wing are running scared of how FL is being humiliated each week by Keir Starmer, and explains why they are putting out lying videos (you might say it is against the Right way, but they are doing it). Completely undemocratic , but that is the way of extremists. Trump does it all the time