Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Re: Coronavirus

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 10:32

Brianposh wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 09:08
This virus is highly contagious.
This virus is only contagious if people fail to observe social distancing.

Social distancing will prevent people attending football games.
IMO they will start again behind closed doors.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Apr 2020, 10:45

Brianposh wrote:
I agree Ashman. I HAVE A FEELING, GROWING STRONGER BY THE DAY,THAT I will never have the chance of watching Posh alive at London Road again.
After 66 years that is going to be a huge wrench. I will continue to pray that this is not so, but the road in front of us seems to be lengthening.
We too are in the highly vulnerable class. THIS virus is highly contagious.
You've just put into words what I have dreaded admitting to myself Brian. You've got six more years viewing than I have and the memories of those early years of viewing Posh are maybe sometimes clouded by rose coloured spectacles! I have witnessed some fantastic times at home and away for Posh and maybe a lot more very ordinary or even awful times. Nobody can take those memories away from me but I guess that maybe my viewing of the Posh is nearing its end. It's a shame because I really wanted to see Posh playing in the Championship once more. It would be wonderful if any future games could be televised or seen through some online source.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

White G

Post by White G » 19 Apr 2020, 10:47

We've all missed out on things and will continue to do so. It's however very sad to hear from you guys who fear you may never see the Posh again.

For many, things will go back to normal but some people don't have time on their side or will always be edgy doing previously everyday activities.

There's no point in giving you a motivational speech, but I really hope everyone can finally relax sooner rather than later. There's human testing being carried out already from a lab at Oxford University, let's hope all is good and there's no long-term dangers from any vaccine!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 11:02

ashman wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 10:45
It would be wonderful if any future games could be televised or seen through some online source.
It will be. There is absolutely no doubt that the sensible thing will be to play games behind closed doors and we will all be able to watch live on the telly.
It's no good saying "it's not the same" because nothing is going to be the same for a long time.
They are already planning it in Australia and we are usually behind the UK.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 11:04

White G wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 10:47
It's however very sad to hear from you guys who fear you may never see the Posh again.
In my opinion, the only reason we'll never see the Posh play again is if DMac pulls out.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 19 Apr 2020, 11:06

tonyp wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 10:32
Brianposh wrote:
This virus is highly contagious.
This virus is only contagious if people fail to observe social distancing.

Social distancing will prevent people attending football games.
IMO they will start again behind closed doors.
Here in England Social Distancing has NOT been observed IMO well enough by a long way. Of course the majority have done, but we have been too soft. In France no-one was allowed out unless they held an Official pass. I have a neighbour who goes out 6-8 times a day in his car, not working,not essential
purchases, just bloody minded. Each time he and others go out means another week in lock down.
The Generation with self discipline and real guts have I am afraid just passed.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 11:20

Brianposh wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 11:06
I have a neighbour who goes out 6-8 times a day in his car, not working, not essential purchases, just bloody minded. Each time he and others go out means another week in lock down.
The Generation with self discipline and real guts have I am afraid just passed.
Here, in Australia, we have been encouraged to "dob in" people who are not observing social distancing.
It is working. People have been fined and even jailed for doing the wrong thing. There are still idiots who don't think it applies to them. But overall it is working.
Our "generation with self discipline and real guts" have to try to convince the younger idiots to do the right thing.

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Apr 2020, 13:11

tonyp wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 11:02
ashman wrote:
It would be wonderful if any future games could be televised or seen through some online source.
It will be. There is absolutely no doubt that the sensible thing will be to play games behind closed doors and we will all be able to watch live on the telly.
It's no good saying "it's not the same" because nothing is going to be the same for a long time.
There is no doubt that games will be played behind closed doors. That has already been given the go ahead here in Britain but maybe this is only until we are allowed to fill the stadia again. My worry is going back into a stadium, pub or concert after we have been cleared. It is almost inevitable that the virus will strike again, maybe several times before everyone has been vaccinated. Even then these nasty little invisible viruses can and will mutate. Myself, Brian and many many others are such high risk individuals that I am struggling to see me ever returning to a normal existence! Like I said 'it's not going to be the same' because it won't be - obvious fact!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 19 Apr 2020, 13:29

Brianposh wrote:
I agree Ashman. I HAVE A FEELING, GROWING STRONGER BY THE DAY,THAT I will never have the chance of watching Posh alive at London Road again.
After 66 years that is going to be a huge wrench. I will continue to pray that this is not so, but the road in front of us seems to be lengthening.
We too are in the highly vulnerable class. THIS virus is highly contagious.
My heart goes out to both of you, I’m a little luckier than the two of you because I rarely go these days, plus if the virus comes anywhere near me I shall either hold my wife in front of me or lie to it about my age, I reckon I can still pass for 69
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 21:11

ashman wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 13:11
Myself, Brian and many many others are such high risk individuals that I am struggling to see me ever returning to a normal existence!
I'm with bristle who says "My heart goes out to both of you,".
I'm lucky. I'm only 80.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Apr 2020, 21:16

ashman wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 13:11
tonyp wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 11:02
ashman wrote:
There is no doubt that games will be played behind closed doors. That has already been given the go ahead here in Britain.
That's great news.
When is it starting then?
They are only planning it in Australia. No confirmed starting date. Lots of objections from politicians and Health experts.

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Apr 2020, 23:42

tonyp wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 21:16
That's great news.
When is it starting then?
They are only planning it in Australia. No confirmed starting date. Lots of objections from politicians and Health experts.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 70056.html

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 Apr 2020, 02:48

So, we still don't know then.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 Apr 2020, 08:42

I know we're not supposed to talk about the government & the mess they are making of coronavirus but, today's news in the UK makes for more grim reading.
The PPE that our health workers are desperate for is STILL not arriving.

Doctors & nurses are facing a very stark choice. Save the patients or save themselves.

What a pitiful situation in 2020 for one of the worlds 'super powers' to be in this kind of mess.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

ashman

Post by ashman » 20 Apr 2020, 09:25

Gaz_Miller wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 08:42
The PPE that our health workers are desperate for is STILL not arriving.
Doctors & nurses are facing a very stark choice. Save the patients or save themselves.
What a pitiful situation in 2020 for one of the worlds 'super powers' to be in this kind of mess.
I agree, but keeping the situation non-political is fine.