Coronavirus

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gaz_Miller » 16 Apr 2020, 11:48

bristleposh wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 10:47
No, but had it have been suggested by one of your glorious lefties I've no doubt you'd have got a stiffy
Don't be childish Bristle - it plays into our hands even more.

If the Tories get something right, I'll praise them. But quite frankly, I can't find ONE positive so far on how they've handled this crisis.

I thought the bail out for businesses was brilliant (although where they found the magic money tree I've no idea - something they slaughtered Corbyn for), but apparently, it's taking forever for businesses to get the loans/grants that many are going out of business anyway.

And your continual 'led by science' stance is also coming under severe scrutiny now with many top scientists saying the government just didn't listen for at least 10 days.

Whether Labour or Lib Dems or anybody else could have done better is completely irrelevant. The public voted for this government & I'm guessing they expected to be governed as a result.

At the moment, they are letting everybody down, whichever way you voted.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Apr 2020, 12:12

They only listen to the scientists, I assume who appear on their list like the ones who appear on the evening briefings (that's on the BBC if you know where to find that on your TV, or is your's stuck on CBeebies), There are going to be scientists who disagree with them it's the nature of the beast. If you want to listen to all the people who oppose what they are doing just go ahead and listen to it, not broadcast it on here as though you are right and everybody else is wrong. I notice nobody responded to my earlier post about the NHS pay rise, has nobody any opinions you can side with on that issue or do you think that despite Doctors getting massive salaries a 1% increase for them would have swamped probably the hourly rate of some of those who work in care homes.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Apr 2020, 14:21

Gaz, White G, trevormans and bristle please use the pm system to carry on with your squabbling. If you come across anything that is of real interest to other users please feel as if you can share and continue to use this thread, but posts with agendas will in future be deleted.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 Apr 2020, 14:37

ashman wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 14:21
Gaz, White G, trevormans and bristle please use the pm system to carry on with your squabbling. If you come across anything that is of real interest to other users please feel as if you can share and continue to use this thread, but posts with agendas will in future be deleted.
:stupid: As slow to react as the government were, three of those are simply using coronovirus as an excuse to have a moan about Boris Johnson.

In January it was Brexit. This time next year they'll have something else.

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Apr 2020, 14:42

DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 14:37
ashman wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 14:21
:stupid: As slow to react as the government were, three of those are simply using coronovirus as an excuse to have a moan about Boris Johnson.

In January it was Brexit. This time next year they'll have something else.
Absolutely Dave. :clap:

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Apr 2020, 11:19

White G wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 09:05
It's an interesting debate for some, and there's too many people involved to use PMs. Wouldn't it be a better idea for those uninterested simply not to click into the thread?
No, because mods are duty bound to read through all posts and the time spent reading them was becoming prohibitive.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 18 Apr 2020, 13:38

I heard yesterday that my sister in law's father had succumbed to CV19 ; a human face to the statistics.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Apr 2020, 14:33

Poshay wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 13:38
I heard yesterday that my sister in law's father had succumbed to CV19 ; a human face to the statistics.
sorry to hear that there have been north of 15,000 tragedies in this country alone
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Apr 2020, 14:41

Poshay wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 13:38
Sorry to hear that. We lost our mum on Sunday 5th April. Nothing to do with CV19 fortunately. She was 92 years old and we hadn't been able to see her since 14th. March. My dad, who also is 92, is completely bewildered about the situation. We now have to deal with all the restrictions that the virus has put upon us.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 18 Apr 2020, 18:54

These personal tragedies are terrible and difficult for those immediately affected

It is not the restrictions we have to deal with, but far more important is an internationally concerted approach to how this can be overcome

Now is the time to be constructive because we need to get rid of it worldwide otherwise it will come back to hit us again and again

We need to turn to our leaders, but whereas in 2009 they faced up to the problem the current crop of leaders have shown no indication that they are thinking holistically and not nationally

We need grown ups

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Apr 2020, 21:04

trevormans wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 18:54
These personal tragedies are terrible and difficult for those immediately affected

It is not the restrictions we have to deal with, but far more important is an internationally concerted approach to how this can be overcome

Now is the time to be constructive because we need to get rid of it worldwide otherwise it will come back to hit us again and again

Spot on

We need to turn to our leaders, but whereas in 2009 they faced up to the problem the current crop of leaders have shown no indication that they are thinking holistically and not nationally

We need grown ups
You were doing so well until the last sentence. In normal situations, politicising about who had done/had not done this/that, is healthy but in this totally unique situation, taking individuals, previous and existing governments to task serves no purpose whatsoever. The only things that us mortals can do is to be guided by the scientific recommendations such as social distancing and staying at home until a useable vaccine is developed. Those idiots on Westminster Bridge are the sort of morons that will a) spread the virus and b) moan that not enough is being done to stop the spread. I know that the NHS workers and other services now realise that the whole country is behind them and fully appreciate their efforts. Maybe now is the time to do away with the Thursday 8pm clapping and just stay inside.
It is too late to attach blame; let's all just concentrate on getting this thing sorted. Recriminations can be voiced after the fact!
It's simple, STAY INDOORS!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Apr 2020, 21:18

Social distancing seems to be working in Australia.
Australia has closed its borders to everyone except returning Australians and even the states have closed their borders to people from other states with only a few exceptions.
Social distancing has been in force for some time and most people are beginning to observe it.
We can't go on like this forever and the only answer I can see is a vaccine. Surely someone will come up with one.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

White G

Post by White G » 18 Apr 2020, 21:39

tonyp wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 21:18
Social distancing seems to be working in Australia.
Australia has closed its borders to everyone except returning Australians and even the states have closed their borders to people from other states with only a few exceptions.
Social distancing has been in force for some time and most people are beginning to observe it.
We can't go on like this forever and the only answer I can see is a vaccine. Surely someone will come up with one.
I'm sure the normal process of producing a vaccine, including testing is about 5 years. They could perhaps fast-track parts, but generally it's not the industry to take short-cuts!

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Apr 2020, 06:35

White G wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 21:39
I'm sure the normal process of producing a vaccine, including testing is about 5 years. They could perhaps fast-track parts, but generally it's not the industry to take short-cuts!
Correct and that is what is so very worrying. I'm sure that social distancing is slowly beginning to have a positive effect on improving the situation and I expect in a few weeks/months certain sections of society will resume. I feel that things will never be the same again, particularly for some of the more vulnerable members of the community. I am an extremely high risk case and the chances of me returning to support Posh in a stadium is looking more and more unlikely, until a reliable vaccine is available. I am sure that people will return to stadia but I guess that they will mostly be filled by youngsters who seem to have greater resistance to the virus. :shock: :(

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 19 Apr 2020, 09:08

I agree Ashman. I HAVE A FEELING, GROWING STRONGER BY THE DAY,THAT I will never have the chance of watching Posh alive at London Road again.
After 66 years that is going to be a huge wrench. I will continue to pray that this is not so, but the road in front of us seems to be lengthening.
We too are in the highly vulnerable class. THIS virus is highly contagious.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.