Great Prime Ministers (UK and Australia)

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Re: Great Prime Ministers (UK and Australia)

Post by bristleposh » 07 Jan 2020, 14:54

trevormans wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 12:59
I think that less than half of the country were impressed by her

seldom has there been a pm so divisive, and so much of her legacy, though there may have been some benefits, has been a curse on this country.

those least in need of support benefitted the most, and her time nurtured a culture of greed and short-termism

also Posh did not do well when she was PM!
That last bit is true, most people who dislike her because of the miners. The truth of that is that if the coal was too expensive to bring out of the ground, because of constant industrial efforts to increase wages, it was pointless keeping them open. It wasn’t her fault it was the union’s fault.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 07 Jan 2020, 17:26

Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 08:40
Thatcher is the most evil woman to ever walk this planet.

She started modern day Britain where everybody became selfish individuals who would **** on their neighbour to make personal gain. A racist like Johnson would never have got into power pre-Thatcher years.

Thatcher began the dark days & now Johnson will complete it.
A thoroughly disgraceful comment in my opinion.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 07 Jan 2020, 21:15

Although he uses more emotive language than I would , I see nothing disgraceful whatsoever in his comments

Thatcherism was undoubtedly the root cause of the fact that we have such a north south divide as we have today

Once the heavy industry had been dismantled throughout the industrial areas she did nothing to support the regions where the work had disappeared
In her view there was no such thing as society so she saw no sense of responsibility for those left behind
She used the revenue from north sea oil to support tax cuts for the already wealthy
And sold off national assets at way below market value but gave the rich more riches
Everything had to be short term
Instead her actions led to the massive one sided ness of the investment in the south especially in the financial sector

Her legacy was largely a curse. She was not a goddess to anyone seeking a balanced view

White G

Post by White G » 08 Jan 2020, 22:12

trevormans wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 21:15
Although he uses more emotive language than I would , I see nothing disgraceful whatsoever in his comments

Thatcherism was undoubtedly the root cause of the fact that we have such a north south divide as we have today

Once the heavy industry had been dismantled throughout the industrial areas she did nothing to support the regions where the work had disappeared
In her view there was no such thing as society so she saw no sense of responsibility for those left behind
She used the revenue from north sea oil to support tax cuts for the already wealthy
And sold off national assets at way below market value but gave the rich more riches
Everything had to be short term
Instead her actions led to the massive one sided ness of the investment in the south especially in the financial sector

Her legacy was largely a curse. She was not a goddess to anyone seeking a balanced view
Spot on Trev, her actions changed society for the worse and started the "me, me, me" society we're in now. Get rich at any cost and screw everyone else. The North Sea funded her wretched policies, Norway have trillions in the bank while the UK blew it all on cuts for the rich.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 08 Jan 2020, 22:21

Grapes sour rearrange into a well known phrase or saying

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jan 2020, 00:20

bristleposh wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 22:21
bristleposh wrote:
A truly great leader wouldn't have so many people so resentful after all these years.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jan 2020, 10:42

White G wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 00:20
bristleposh wrote:
bristleposh wrote:
A truly great leader wouldn't have so many people so resentful after all these years.
Some of whom weren't even born when she was in power, she was so unpopular at the time that she won three consecutive elections, and had it not been for the folly of some of her supposedly closest allies would probably have won a fourth, Major did not have the same charisma

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 09 Jan 2020, 11:17

populism, by definition, is short term-ism

she was popular with some, but she was utterly divisive

I have sought to show a more balanced view

falklands was her negligence. the triumphalism (when she denied the injured the right to march) was shameless populism

selling council houses was never the bad thing. what she did then was to reverse Heseltine's plan to reinvest the money in more social housing. that was shameful

we now reap that whirlwind of inadequate housing

not reinvesting in the post industrialised areas was utterly shameful and has left the country divided

selling national assets below market prices was shameful populism. it was short term ism and encouraged the opposite of proper investment

I have no sour grapes. I prefer a balanced view .To call her a god is ridiculous as it implies you see no mistakes

those who stick to the slogans and soundbites clearly are easily persuaded

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 09 Jan 2020, 12:46

trevormans wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:17

falklands was her negligence. the triumphalism (when she denied the injured the right to march) was shameless populism

selling council houses was never the bad thing. what she did then was to reverse Heseltine's plan to reinvest the money in more social housing. that was shameful

not reinvesting in the post industrialised areas was utterly shameful and has left the country divided

selling national assets below market prices was shameful populism. it was short term ism and encouraged the opposite of proper investment

I have no sour grapes. I prefer a balanced view .To call her a god is ridiculous as it implies you see no mistakes

Well put. I agree.
She was a PM who wouldnt listen to reason. Her mannerisms were sickly and patronising.

Even the Queen didn't like her. :lol:

All this love in for her just makes people look silly.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jan 2020, 13:24

trevormans wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:17

I can hear a dog whistle in the distance.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 09 Jan 2020, 18:02

the dog whistle must be very close to you

I notice you do not attempt to contradict

presumably because you know it is all true

if you didn't know then it shows just how much brainwashing has gone on to make her appear good

White G

Post by White G » 11 Jan 2020, 12:10

bristleposh wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 10:42
White G wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 00:20
bristleposh wrote:
bristleposh wrote:
Some of whom weren't even born when she was in power, she was so unpopular at the time that she won three consecutive elections, and had it not been for the folly of some of her supposedly closest allies would probably have won a fourth, Major did not have the same charisma
She won by causing a war & North Sea oil's boom years bailing her out of the problems. She sold off everything and the gap in society has started to grow significantly due to her policies.

An example is selling housing stock. Over 40% of ex-council stock is now let out privately. Thus, the people who already have homes and took advantage of her policy are now profiteering and getting even wealthier. The next generation have no housing security, pay far higher rents (which go in the pockets of people who don't have financial issues), and are unable to save for a deposit due to the sky high rents. These are for the exact same homes.

Short-termism isn't the answer I'm afraid, housing is one of many examples you can give. Under Thatcher people began to stop thinking about others. People who weren't able to vote under Thatcher's regime are the ones who are still paying the price for her policies.

The UK as a whole are a nation of weak people who put up with anything that they're told to believe. Sometimes the French go too far but at least they have a backbone and don't bow to the elite. Our standard of living has fallen significantly compared to other similar countries but we've only ourselves to blame collectively. My same job is far better paid in Germany & France with significantly more annual leave. Things are only going to get worse as EU workers rights go out the window. But instead of protesting & rioting, we vote them back in!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Jan 2020, 12:30

tonyp wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 10:14
Great Prime Ministers (UK and Australia)
Well, Boris Johnson and Scott Morrison are unlikely to go in the lists of Great Prime Ministers (UK and Australia).
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jan 2020, 12:51

White G wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:10

My same job is far better paid in Germany & France with significantly more annual leave. Things are only going to get worse as EU workers rights go out the window.
I assure you that if you left you would not be missed

White G

Post by White G » 12 Jan 2020, 09:29

bristleposh wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:51
White G wrote:

My same job is far better paid in Germany & France with significantly more annual leave. Things are only going to get worse as EU workers rights go out the window.
bristleposh wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:51
White G wrote:

A common theme here:

- Bristle makes sensational claim
- Claims are countered, Bristle gets angry
- Bristle comes up with some more bluster
- Again, people respond to contest his sensational claim
- Bristle gets more angry and instead of offering a logical argument, he turns to insults.

You're like a book, strange to see someone so senior behaving like a schoolboy though!