Election in December

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
DoubleRay
Posts: 1153
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Re: Election in December

Post by DoubleRay » 03 Dec 2019, 12:25

I'll be voting for Labour. I'll be voting for change.
The Tory party has done nothing for me ever and actually unless you are extremely wealthy it has done nothing for the country which is a screwed up divided mess of a place.

I suspect it to be a hung parliament but hoping Labour edge it.

trevormans
Posts: 611
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Election in December

Post by trevormans » 03 Dec 2019, 14:09

I dont think labour can win it as they would need 40plus Scottish seats

The only real outcomes are a Tory majority or a hung parliament

The latter would be interesting as it is not clear who would be the leader


I would guess Keir starmer as he is perhaps the only serious mature politician o either front bench

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1853
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Election in December

Post by White G » 03 Dec 2019, 20:39

bristleposh wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 09:30
It certainly can’t be SNP or Labour, perhaps he thinks slimy Jo can do a job or the Greens or maybe he’s a Brexit party supporter.
Up here, the SNP are the only serious choice. They try their best to protect Scotland from Tory policies, while Labour up here have lost all trust. With the rest of the UK becoming hugely more right wing in their views, independence sadly seems the only option.

Anyway, interesting article in the Independent. Loughborough University seem to notice similarly to myself.

.https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ ... BMy5QhSpw

User avatar
PoshCynic
Posts: 1563
Joined: 07 May 2005, 14:20
Location: Peterborough

Re: Election in December

Post by PoshCynic » 03 Dec 2019, 21:30

Sooner Scotland gains independence the better. Then England can stop subsidising the Scottish economy. Ms Sturgeon wants to get rid of Trident. It would be interesting to hear how the 8000 who would lose their jobs would find fresh employment.

Within a few years an independent Scotland would effectively "go broke". Income from North Sea oil is declining so what is left - tourism & Scotch whisky sales and not much more.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28967
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Election in December

Post by bristleposh » 03 Dec 2019, 22:09

PoshCynic wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 21:30
Sooner Scotland gains independence the better. Then England can stop subsidising the Scottish economy. Ms Sturgeon wants to get rid of Trident. It would be interesting to hear how the 8000 who would lose their jobs would find fresh employment.

Within a few years an independent Scotland would effectively "go broke". Income from North Sea oil is declining so what is left - tourism & Scotch whisky sales and not much more.
Haggis and Irn Bru
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1853
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Election in December

Post by White G » 04 Dec 2019, 00:32

PoshCynic wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 21:30
Sooner Scotland gains independence the better. Then England can stop subsidising the Scottish economy. Ms Sturgeon wants to get rid of Trident. It would be interesting to hear how the 8000 who would lose their jobs would find fresh employment.

Within a few years an independent Scotland would effectively "go broke". Income from North Sea oil is declining so what is left - tourism & Scotch whisky sales and not much more.

Interesting views but over the years it's Scotland who have been subsidising the rest of the UK. Just look into it and you'll see! Why else is Westminster so desperate to keep Scotland?

The money saved from paying for Trident, HS2 etc would cover their dole money 100 times over anyway! Being away from England makes you realise how insular & arrogant we are. A non-EU rest of UK would need Scotland more than ever, particularly as trade drops and money becomes shorter.

User avatar
PoshCynic
Posts: 1563
Joined: 07 May 2005, 14:20
Location: Peterborough

Re: Election in December

Post by PoshCynic » 04 Dec 2019, 22:37

White G wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 00:32
PoshCynic wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 21:30
Sooner Scotland gains independence the better. Then England can stop subsidising the Scottish economy. Ms Sturgeon wants to get rid of Trident. It would be interesting to hear how the 8000 who would lose their jobs would find fresh employment.

Within a few years an independent Scotland would effectively "go broke". Income from North Sea oil is declining so what is left - tourism & Scotch whisky sales and not much more.

Interesting views but over the years it's Scotland who have been subsidising the rest of the UK. Just look into it and you'll see! Why else is Westminster so desperate to keep Scotland?

The money saved from paying for Trident, HS2 etc would cover their dole money 100 times over anyway! Being away from England makes you realise how insular & arrogant we are. A non-EU rest of UK would need Scotland more than ever, particularly as trade drops and money becomes shorter.
In what way?

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28967
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Election in December

Post by bristleposh » 04 Dec 2019, 22:52

What surprises me most in this election, is that Corbyn’s labour manifesto is almost word for word what Hitler’s National Socialist manifesto was in the thirties, only difference was that there was no anti Semite policy in the Nazi documents.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1853
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Election in December

Post by White G » 05 Dec 2019, 20:01

PoshCynic wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:37
White G wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 00:32
PoshCynic wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 21:30
Sooner Scotland gains independence the better. Then England can stop subsidising the Scottish economy. Ms Sturgeon wants to get rid of Trident. It would be interesting to hear how the 8000 who would lose their jobs would find fresh employment.

Within a few years an independent Scotland would effectively "go broke". Income from North Sea oil is declining so what is left - tourism & Scotch whisky sales and not much more.

Interesting views but over the years it's Scotland who have been subsidising the rest of the UK. Just look into it and you'll see! Why else is Westminster so desperate to keep Scotland?

The money saved from paying for Trident, HS2 etc would cover their dole money 100 times over anyway! Being away from England makes you realise how insular & arrogant we are. A non-EU rest of UK would need Scotland more than ever, particularly as trade drops and money becomes shorter.
In what way?
When searching for a retort on Google, this very recent piece from Channel 4 popped up. Balanced somewhere in the middle, it at least distorts the myth of Scotland being subsididy junkies. Outside of London (which rakes in money from the rest of the UK), Scotland pays a higher share than most of the UKs regions per head.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... -of-the-uk

Another big part in wanting to keep Scotland is the fact that Trident is dumped up here and the Tories don't want nuclear weapons anywhere near England. As a percentage of the population, Scotland has less military personnel based up here than in England too, and that's including Faslane. So Scotland makes a loss out of the economic perks this brings, despite the large land mass.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20088
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Election in December

Post by tonyp » 06 Dec 2019, 10:12

bristleposh wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 22:35
Election in December
When is the election?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28967
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Election in December

Post by bristleposh » 06 Dec 2019, 13:24

tonyp wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 10:12
bristleposh wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 22:35
Election in December
When is the election?
Next Thursday
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 611
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Election in December

Post by trevormans » 06 Dec 2019, 16:19

bristleposh wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:52
What surprises me most in this election, is that Corbyn’s labour manifesto is almost word for word what Hitler’s National Socialist manifesto was in the thirties, only difference was that there was no anti Semite policy in the Nazi documents.
Corbyn is stupid for not having cleansed his party of the Anti-Semitism stain

However....

What is far more frightening, laying aside the Tory traditional and deeply entrenched Islamophobia, is the extent to which the arrival of Johnson as PM has closely echoed what went on with Hitler and the National Socialists rise to dictatorship in the early thirties.

First a Democratic election following rabble rousing populist jingoistic piffle talking of the great days of the past

then a rigorous propaganda exercise in which slogans were repeated and repeated by the mindless populace who thinks that the leader will serve the country well because they are taken in by his shallow charm

manipulation of the procedures by a faceless unaccountable cabal

then a substantial obstruction of the Parliamentary process

discounting of the Head of State,

then a removal of any dissenters

A continual trashing of any opposition

zero scrutiny of policies

headlighting of scapegoats, and then harassment and bullying and then much worse

lack of genuine debate or discussion with little other than distractions and diversions

threats to the media who dared to disagree

continual repetition by the mindless of the mantras and the slogans which stand no scrutiny

lack of accountability to parliament

and before long, when the reality has dawned as to the evil mess created by all this , it becomes almost impossible to resist.

Anybody who thinks that Johnson is working genuinely for the whole population needs to look at the facts.

The main fact is that he is seeking to serve nobody but himself

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1853
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Election in December

Post by White G » 06 Dec 2019, 16:31

trevormans wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 16:19
bristleposh wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:52
What surprises me most in this election, is that Corbyn’s labour manifesto is almost word for word what Hitler’s National Socialist manifesto was in the thirties, only difference was that there was no anti Semite policy in the Nazi documents.
Corbyn is stupid for not having cleansed his party of the Anti-Semitism stain

However....

What is far more frightening, laying aside the Tory traditional and deeply entrenched Islamophobia, is the extent to which the arrival of Johnson as PM has closely echoed what went on with Hitler and the National Socialists rise to dictatorship in the early thirties.

First a Democratic election following rabble rousing populist jingoistic piffle talking of the great days of the past

then a rigorous propaganda exercise in which slogans were repeated and repeated by the mindless populace who thinks that the leader will serve the country well because they are taken in by his shallow charm

manipulation of the procedures by a faceless unaccountable cabal

then a substantial obstruction of the Parliamentary process

discounting of the Head of State,

then a removal of any dissenters

A continual trashing of any opposition

zero scrutiny of policies

headlighting of scapegoats, and then harassment and bullying and then much worse

lack of genuine debate or discussion with little other than distractions and diversions

threats to the media who dared to disagree

continual repetition by the mindless of the mantras and the slogans which stand no scrutiny

lack of accountability to parliament

and before long, when the reality has dawned as to the evil mess created by all this , it becomes almost impossible to resist.

Anybody who thinks that Johnson is working genuinely for the whole population needs to look at the facts.

The main fact is that he is seeking to serve nobody but himself
Sometimes you go on a bit Trev but that's a great post. It's genuinely worrying that much of the population would put him as leader of the country given all the evidence out there. I'm very concerned for the future to be honest!

trevormans
Posts: 611
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Election in December

Post by trevormans » 06 Dec 2019, 16:47

a bit??

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28967
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Election in December

Post by bristleposh » 06 Dec 2019, 17:54

Some of the BS posted in this thread makes me wonder who the liars are.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Post Reply