Getting the best out of players and managers

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DaveLister
Second Technician

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by DaveLister » 02 Nov 2020, 19:23

ashman wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 14:58
Darren Ferguson managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total Games 145 Win % 50.34%

Steve Evans managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total games 13 Win % 38.46%
Is the definitive answer

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 02 Nov 2020, 22:10

DaveLister wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 19:23
ashman wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 14:58
Darren Ferguson managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total Games 145 Win % 50.34%

Steve Evans managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total games 13 Win % 38.46%
Is the definitive answer
And this season, so far.
League 1
Darren Ferguson managerial stats 10 games Win % ... 70%
Steve Evans managerial stats 10 games Win % ... 30%
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 02 Nov 2020, 22:25

Evans was a joke................best forgotten.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 02 Nov 2020, 23:44

Some people with only half a brain think he was brilliant despite the obvious flaws
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 03 Nov 2020, 15:04

Personally never thought Evans was brilliant, found him a bit of an embarrassment but he does produce results...all else is agenda...back to the original point, he signed Toney and Dembele and they will help us get promoted this year - one through funding the squad after his transfer and one because he is a top striker in the lower leagues...

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 03 Nov 2020, 22:13

Brianposh wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 22:25
I think that sums it up precisely. :clap:

ashman

Post by ashman » 03 Nov 2020, 22:18

stumpy wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 15:04
Personally never thought Evans was brilliant, found him a bit of an embarrassment but he does produce results...all else is agenda...back to the original point, he signed Toney and Dembele and they will help us get promoted this year - one through funding the squad after his transfer and one because he is a top striker in the lower leagues...
I think you will find that Toney was a DMac signing - not that he ever interferes with team matters! :D
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 11 Nov 2020, 00:32

ashman wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 22:18
stumpy wrote:
I think you will find that Toney was a DMac signing - not that he ever interferes with team matters! :D
yeah, all the bad signings were Evans and all the good ones DMac.... :roll:

ashman

Post by ashman » 11 Nov 2020, 08:42

stumpy wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 00:32
ashman wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 22:18
stumpy wrote:
yeah, all the bad signings were Evans and all the good ones DMac.... :roll:
I didn't suggest that. All football teams (managers, coaches, owners) sign a range of players ranging from excellent to good, indifferent, poor or useless. They can work out to be cheap acquisitions or they can work out to be very expensive. Some go on to be a tremendous asset for the club that signs them, some need to go elsewhere to flourish and some simply fall be the wayside. Players all seem to develop at different paces, at different stages in their age cycle and nearly all players have a peak of maybe 3 or 4 years when they are really at their peak in terms of footballing ability. Working out just which ones will do what is one of football's great mysteries.
By the way, SE's current team are sitting in 13th. place in the league with 13 points and a goal difference of -5. They are a full 12 points behind Posh after just 11 games with a goal difference of 12 goals in favour of Posh!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Nov 2020, 08:49

ashman wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 08:42
All football teams (managers, coaches, owners) sign a range of players ranging from excellent to good, indifferent, poor or useless. They can work out to be cheap acquisitions or they can work out to be very expensive. Some go on to be a tremendous asset for the club that signs them, some need to go elsewhere to flourish and some simply fall be the wayside. Players all seem to develop at different paces, at different stages in their age cycle and nearly all players have a peak of maybe 3 or 4 years when they are really at their peak in terms of footballing ability. Working out just which ones will do what is one of football's great mysteries.
By the way, SE's current team are sitting in 13th. place in the league with 13 points and a goal difference of -5. They are a full 12 points behind Posh after just 11 games with a goal difference of 12 goals in favour of Posh!

Very well said ashman. I'm sure that we (well, most of us) would all go along with that.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Nov 2020, 08:57

JohnC

Re: Getting the best out of players and managers

Post by JohnC » 13 Nov 2020, 12:41

I think that the following comparison is worthy of consideration:

Evans’ overall League One record with Posh:
P41 W17 D11 L13 Pts 62

Ferguson’s first 41 League One games record after replacing Evans:
P41 W17 D9 L15 Pts 60
(I stand to be corrected on these figures; there's often liable to be a little fuzziness in transition during mid-season hiring and firing.)

Note also that Evans took charge at Gillingham in June, 2019, four months after Ferguson moved in at Peterborough.

Since relegation from the Championship, our average League One position has been 9th. Over the same period, Gillingham’s has been 14th; their tenth place finish last season had only been bettered once (9th) in that seven year span; they are currently thirteenth.

All of the above lies within the realm of verifiable fact; what can be inferred therefrom is moot.

Did we underachieve last season? Did Gillingham overachieve? It would certainly be interesting to compare the relative playing budgets of Evans at Gillingham and Ferguson at Peterborough.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 13 Nov 2020, 13:08

JohnC wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 12:41

P41 W17 D11 L13 Pts 62

P41 W17 D9 L15 Pts 60
(I stand to be corrected on these figures; there's often liable to be a little fuzziness in transition during mid-season hiring and firing.)

Note also that Evans took charge at Gillingham in June, 2019, four months after Ferguson moved in at Peterborough.

Since relegation from the Championship, our average League One position has been 9th. Over the same period, Gillingham’s has been 14th; their tenth place finish last season had only been bettered once (9th) in that seven year span; they are currently thirteenth.

All of the above lies within the realm of verifiable fact; what can be inferred therefrom is moot.

Did we underachieve last season? Did Gillingham overachieve? It would certainly be interesting to compare the relative playing budgets of Evans at Gillingham and Ferguson at Peterborough.
Is it possible that the skewed evidence is flawed, the football is certainly far better since Ferguson took over, and our current league position suggests that we are doing OK, Evans has become an irrelevance, or would you prefer to have him come back and undo all the good work achieved since his departure?
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 13 Nov 2020, 15:30

JohnC wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 12:41

P41 W17 D11 L13 Pts 62

P41 W17 D9 L15 Pts 60

Their comparisons can be skewed one way or another. What any stats fail to tell us is the feeling within the fan base concerning the way in which the team is playing. Forget playing budgets, league positions etc. We are playing much more agreeable football under Ferguson. Above all, we were becoming a laughing stock within the lower leagues with a manager who was rude to fans and players and who failed to command the respect that Darren Ferguson attains.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 13 Nov 2020, 20:41

Brianposh wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 22:25
tonyp wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 08:57
Dmac is happy with Fergie
bristleposh wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 13:08
the football is certainly far better since Ferguson took over, and our current league position suggests that we are doing OK, Evans has become an irrelevance
ashman wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 15:30
We are playing much more agreeable football under Ferguson. Above all, we were becoming a laughing stock within the lower leagues with a manager who was rude to fans and players and who failed to command the respect that Darren Ferguson attains.
Surely that says it all