Getting the best out of players and managers

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16596
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Getting the best out of players and managers

Post by DaveLister » 31 Oct 2020, 16:53

stumpy wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:48
Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:46
Thank god we’ve got Dembele. Great goal
He was a very good signing :wink:
Steve Evans signed him, you know.

Fergie is the only manager who's got the best from him though :D
Image

stumpy
Posts: 170
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by stumpy » 31 Oct 2020, 16:54

H/T Posh 2-1 up and Shrews down to 10 men....it's another below par display of football but just need the points....I remember a couple of seasons ago how "fans" were complaining about the standard of displays and long ball football when we were winning....thy were wrong, it's about the results and we should go on to a cricket score here....

stumpy
Posts: 170
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by stumpy » 31 Oct 2020, 16:56

DaveLister wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:53
stumpy wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:48
Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:46
Thank god we’ve got Dembele. Great goal
He was a very good signing :wink:
Steve Evans signed him, you know.

Fergie is the only manager who's got the best from him though :D
Toney and Dembele....very good signings that will make Posh a lot of money. Up there with Tomlin and McCann and the Holy Trinity....oh to have inherited that talent as a manager...you almost couldn't go wrong :D

Wilco
Posts: 58
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by Wilco » 31 Oct 2020, 18:55

stumpy wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:56
DaveLister wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:53
stumpy wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:48


He was a very good signing :wink:
Steve Evans signed him, you know.

Fergie is the only manager who's got the best from him though :D
Toney and Dembele....very good signings that will make Posh a lot of money. Up there with Tomlin and McCann and the Holy Trinity....oh to have inherited that talent as a manager...you almost couldn't go wrong :D
Blah Blah Blah.

HantsPosh
Posts: 557
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by HantsPosh » 31 Oct 2020, 22:40

DaveLister wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:53
stumpy wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:48
Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:46
Thank god we’ve got Dembele. Great goal
He was a very good signing :wink:
Steve Evans signed him, you know.
Not true, like Ivan Toney & Matt Godden he was scouted by the club and wasn’t on Evans list of mentally strong superstars. That list contained amongst others Colin Daniel, Darren Lyon, Tyler Denton, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Rhys Bennett, Callum Cooke & the jewell in the crown Josh Yorwerth

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 862
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by Gaz_Miller » 31 Oct 2020, 23:39

HantsPosh wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:40
Not true, like Ivan Toney & Matt Godden he was scouted by the club and wasn’t on Evans list of mentally strong superstars. That list contained amongst others Colin Daniel, Darren Lyon, Tyler Denton, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Rhys Bennett, Callum Cooke & the jewell in the crown Josh Yorwerth
:clap: As desperate a post as I've ever seen on football forum.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

HantsPosh
Posts: 557
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by HantsPosh » 01 Nov 2020, 11:14

Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 23:39
HantsPosh wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:40
Not true, like Ivan Toney & Matt Godden he was scouted by the club and wasn’t on Evans list of mentally strong superstars. That list contained amongst others Colin Daniel, Darren Lyon, Tyler Denton, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Rhys Bennett, Callum Cooke & the jewell in the crown Josh Yorwerth
:clap: As desperate a post as I've ever seen on football forum.
Reeled in again, not even a challenge this time :D

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18703
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by ashman » 01 Nov 2020, 12:57

Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 23:39
HantsPosh wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:40
Not true, like Ivan Toney & Matt Godden he was scouted by the club and wasn’t on Evans list of mentally strong superstars. That list contained amongst others Colin Daniel, Darren Lyon, Tyler Denton, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Rhys Bennett, Callum Cooke & the jewell in the crown Josh Yorwerth
:clap: As desperate a post as I've ever seen on football forum.
It's not very often that Gaz is shown up. Well done HP!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Steamy Nin 2
Posts: 9
Joined: 29 Jan 2020, 00:16

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by Steamy Nin 2 » 01 Nov 2020, 14:46

Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 23:39
HantsPosh wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:40
Not true, like Ivan Toney & Matt Godden he was scouted by the club and wasn’t on Evans list of mentally strong superstars. That list contained amongst others Colin Daniel, Darren Lyon, Tyler Denton, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Rhys Bennett, Callum Cooke & the jewell in the crown Josh Yorwerth
:clap: As desperate a post as I've ever seen on football forum.
Does Shrewsbury's half time sub belong in this list as well.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16596
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by DaveLister » 01 Nov 2020, 18:22

Everyone has left out Aaron Chapman
Image

stumpy
Posts: 170
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by stumpy » 01 Nov 2020, 22:36

DaveLister wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 18:22
Everyone has left out Aaron Chapman
All those players had us top of the league and more points per game than the current manager - whoever was managing them must have been a genius.....

Wilco
Posts: 58
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by Wilco » 01 Nov 2020, 23:37

stumpy wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:36
DaveLister wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 18:22
Everyone has left out Aaron Chapman
All those players had us top of the league and more points per game than the current manager - whoever was managing them must have been a genius.....
I agree, It’s a bloody travesty that Man United, Everton, Arsenal and countless other Premier League teams ignored Evans when they had managerial vacancies. It takes someone like me, Gaz and Stumpy ( people who really know their football) to appreciate what Steve Evans brings to a football team.

stumpy
Posts: 170
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by stumpy » 02 Nov 2020, 13:10

Wilco wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:37
stumpy wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:36
DaveLister wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 18:22
Everyone has left out Aaron Chapman
All those players had us top of the league and more points per game than the current manager - whoever was managing them must have been a genius.....
I agree, It’s a bloody travesty that Man United, Everton, Arsenal and countless other Premier League teams ignored Evans when they had managerial vacancies. It takes someone like me, Gaz and Stumpy ( people who really know their football) to appreciate what Steve Evans brings to a football team.
Totally agree, seems like a Posh thing as our most successful manager of all time is also a lower league journeyman

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18703
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by ashman » 02 Nov 2020, 14:58

Darren Ferguson managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total Games 145 Win % 50.34%

Steve Evans managerial stats for Peterborough United: Total games 13 Win % 38.46%
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16596
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by DaveLister » 02 Nov 2020, 19:23

Wilco wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:37
stumpy wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:36
DaveLister wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 18:22
Everyone has left out Aaron Chapman
All those players had us top of the league and more points per game than the current manager - whoever was managing them must have been a genius.....
I agree, It’s a bloody travesty that Man United, Everton, Arsenal and countless other Premier League teams ignored Evans when they had managerial vacancies. It takes someone like me, Gaz and Stumpy ( people who really know their football) to appreciate what Steve Evans brings to a football team.
Just remember, Evans turned down a lucrative offer to manage in China to come to Posh
Image

Post Reply