Happy 80th GOAT

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Happy 80th GOAT

Post by bristleposh » 23 Oct 2020, 15:03

Yes it’s Pele, his record was outstanding , I don’t wish to hear that he wouldn’t survive in today’s game. He would still be number one imo, remember he’d have a different diet and be fitter too.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Re: Happy 80th GOAT

Post by ashman » 23 Oct 2020, 16:44

bristleposh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 15:03
Yes it’s Pele, his record was outstanding , I don’t wish to hear that he wouldn’t survive in today’s game. He would still be number one imo, remember he’d have a different diet and be fitter too.
.... and so would the defences and midfields too. You just can't compare players from different eras!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 Oct 2020, 19:48

ashman wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 16:44
bristleposh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 15:03
.... and so would the defences and midfields too. You just can't compare players from different eras!
His record was awesome far more goals than Messi and Ronaldo, 3 World Cups, compared to Nil
they're a prat!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 23 Oct 2020, 20:05

It is often quoted on this message board that we are all entitled to our opinions.
Comments like " You just can't compare players from different eras!" are wrong.
We can if we want to.
In my opinion Pele was the greatest footballer of all time. Closely followed by Ronaldo.
I'm not saying I'm right. Or that I can prove it. It's just my opinion.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 23 Oct 2020, 21:41

tonyp wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 20:05
It is often quoted on this message board that we are all entitled to our opinions.
Comments like " You just can't compare players from different eras!" are wrong.
We can if we want to.
In my opinion Pele was the greatest footballer of all time. Closely followed by Ronaldo.
I'm not saying I'm right. Or that I can prove it. It's just my opinion.
Well said that man. There is an expression you can only beat what is put in front of you. I obviously never saw Bradman but his figures suggest he was the greatest batsman of all time.
they're a prat!

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 23 Oct 2020, 21:58

I would love a £5 note for every time I have been asked whether Dennis Emery was a better footballer than George Boyd. I refuse always to make the comparison................You just cannot. Two different worlds.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 23 Oct 2020, 22:20

Brianposh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 21:58
I would love a £5 note for every time I have been asked whether Dennis Emery was a better footballer than George Boyd. I refuse always to make the comparison................You just cannot. Two different worlds.
I'm not as fortunate as you Brian. I have never seen George Boyd play.
But I doubt that he was as good as Dennis Emery.
As far as i'm concerned Dennis Emery was the best footballer to play for the Posh. Only my opinion.

ashman

Post by ashman » 23 Oct 2020, 22:39

Brianposh wrote:
Exactly Brian. Nail on head!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Oct 2020, 23:13

ashman wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 22:39
Brianposh wrote:
Exactly Brian. Nail on head!
I'm assuming that this is opinions and we don't score points for agreeing with each other. But...
When Dennis Emery joined Posh Winston Churchill was PM.
When George Boyd joined Tony Blair was PM.
I wouldn't mind a £5 note for every time I've said that Winston Churchill was a better PM than Tony Blair.
I agree with Brian. Two different worlds. Only my opinion.

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Oct 2020, 06:56

tonyp wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 23:13
Two different worlds. Only my opinion.
Exactly. That is why " You just can't compare players from different eras!" is relevant.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 25 Oct 2020, 08:29

ashman wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 06:56
tonyp wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 23:13
Two different worlds. Only my opinion.
Exactly. That is why " You just can't compare players from different eras!" is relevant.
:stupid: Except that we are all allowed to have our own opinions.
Some of us CAN compare. Rightly or wrongly.
In my opinion Dennis Emery was our greatest player and Winston Churchill was a better PM than Tony Blair.
Only my opinion.

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Oct 2020, 10:30

tonyp wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 08:29
:stupid: Except that we are all allowed to have our own opinions.
Some of us CAN compare. Rightly or wrongly.
In my opinion Dennis Emery was our greatest player and Winston Churchill was a better PM than Tony Blair.
Only my opinion.
..... and it's my opinion that you 'can't compare players from different eras.' Only my opinion of course!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Oct 2020, 10:52

Can you compare guitarists from different eras, or musicians, some think The Beatles were the greatest, yet Queen have far out sold them. Opinions are what matters and I agree with Tony you can compare the two because they outshone what was put in front of them. The Liverpool side of now is far better than the undefeated Arsenal side, yet the Arsenal side playing against sides that were of the same era remained unbeaten whereas Liverpool did not.
I forget who said in interview (I think Denis Law) when asked how he thought his team would have got on against the current Manure side said I think we’d beat them 1-0, but then again most of us are in our sixties and seventies.
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Oct 2020, 12:39

bristleposh wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 10:52
Can you compare guitarists from different eras, or musicians, some think The Beatles were the greatest, yet Queen have far out sold them. Opinions are what matters and I agree with Tony you can compare the two because they outshone what was put in front of them. The Liverpool side of now is far better than the undefeated Arsenal side, yet the Arsenal side playing against sides that were of the same era remained unbeaten whereas Liverpool did not.
I forget who said in interview (I think Denis Law) when asked how he thought his team would have got on against the current Manure side said I think we’d beat them 1-0, but then again most of us are in our sixties and seventies.
The Beatles were superb, Queen were superb, Arsenal were superb, Liverpool are superb etc. etc. Denis Law was superb but to contrast judgements on any manner of different skills is very difficult if not impossible. Each and every team or individual have proved themselves to be top performers in their field but, FWIW I consider Lewis Hamilton better than Ginger Baker in this bizaar comparison! :wink:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Oct 2020, 12:50

ashman wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 12:39
bristleposh wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 10:52
The Beatles were superb, Queen were superb, Arsenal were superb, Liverpool are superb etc. etc. Denis Law was superb but to contrast judgements on any manner of different skills is very difficult if not impossible. Each and every team or individual have proved themselves to be top performers in their field but, FWIW I consider Lewis Hamilton better than Ginger Baker in this bizaar comparison! :wink:
I know who Ginger Baker is, but the other one I'm not familiar with, is he related to an American president
they're a prat!