Call out to Posh supporters

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

david200

Call out to Posh supporters

Post by david200 » 03 Sep 2020, 17:00

I am writing a book about my lifelong journey visiting all 92 league clubs, most of which were to watch my team, WBA, play. I am interested in any thoughts, comments or opinions any fans may have about the proposed move from London Road to a new stadium. The current stadium has been home to football for over 100 years and must have a strong pull on what it is to be a Peterborough fan so I am particularly interested in how fans feel about the trade off between presumably better facilities and moving on from where perhaps the heart still lies. In talking to fans of other clubs where a new ground has already opened, their remains a strong pull for the old stadium. How do you Posh fans feel should you move across the river?

Also: any great memories of watching football at London Road?

If anyone is kind enough to reply please include a name and an email address just in case I wish to ask anything else of you. Please also note that by replying you give permission for your comments to be included in the book.

NB for the record I came to London Road in August 2007 for a League Cup match in which Albion won 2-0. Sorry about that. However, loved the ground and a great atmosphere so early in the season.

David Asquith

REPLIES CAN BE EMAILED TO davidasquith57@gmail.com if you prefer.

Wilco

Re: Call out to Posh supporters

Post by Wilco » 04 Sep 2020, 19:50

I started watching Posh in the early 70s and loved London Road. Terraces on all 4 sides and I stood on them all. Whilst I accept that the new stands have improved the facilities and created a better family atmosphere, I still prefer the ground as it was.
Most memorable games for me were against Gillingham in 1974 when we won the 4th Division and against Forest in the F.A.Cup in 1975, we won 1-0 to seal a 4th round tie at Old Trafford. I’d never see the London Road end so packed from my vantage point in the old stand. It was the only time I can remember seeing a swaying mass of humanity similar to what I saw of Liverpool’s Cop on the telly (but obviously on a smaller scale)

I look forward to a new ground, London Road is past its best and its time to move on.
Sorry but I’m not posting my email address on here.