Championship Fixtures

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Championship Fixtures

Post by ashman » 24 Aug 2020, 21:29

tonyp wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 20:10
Bluemike wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 17:34
ashman wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 11:40
They weren’t prepared to play on until the EFL mess up. They then decided after a shift from eighth to third that they could afford to play in the playoffs! It was a complete nonsense between by the EFL and the club.
And it is for that precise double-standard reason that I have added them to my "I hope you get hammered" list. Nothing against the fans... it's the club.
The reason we are still in League 1 is because we weren't as good as the top six - Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth or Fleetwood (on average) for the part of the season that was completed.
Rubbish. The reason we are not in the Championship is because of the 'dithering' of the EFL and the swift turnaround of the Wycombe board when they were judged to be unfairly in the playoff positions!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Aug 2020, 22:17

ashman wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 21:26
tonyp wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 20:40
Wycombe fans will be pleased to have read
"In an all-Championship tie, newly promoted Wycombe Wanderers will travel to the new Brentford Community Stadium to take on the 2019/20 Play-Off Finalists, Brentford, at 12.00pm on Sunday 6 September. Being shown live on Sky Sports"
Posh fans can watch and boo every time a Wycombe player gets near the ball.
Who gives a 'monkey' about Wycombe fans? Certainly not any Posh fans! :evil: :evil:
At least they won't be able to have a drink in every corner before they go in
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Aug 2020, 23:03

ashman wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 21:29
The reason we are not in the Championship is because of the 'dithering' of the EFL and the swift turnaround of the Wycombe board when they were judged to be unfairly in the playoff positions!
Like it or not, the reason we are not in the Championship is because the PPG rubbish meant we weren't in the top six.
We should have played out the season. Full Stop.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Aug 2020, 23:07

bristleposh wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 22:17
At least they won't be able to have a drink in every corner before they go in
Good point! But ..
I'd say a few fans of all clubs will have a drink at quite a few pubs that are showing their games on the telly.

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Aug 2020, 04:30

tonyp wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 23:03
ashman wrote:
The reason we are not in the Championship is because of the 'dithering' of the EFL and the swift turnaround of the Wycombe board when they were judged to be unfairly in the playoff positions!
Like it or not, the reason we are not in the Championship is because the PPG rubbish meant we weren't in the top six.
Exactly tony, but to say "The reason we are still in League 1 is because we weren't as good as the top six - Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth or Fleetwood (on average) for the part of the season that was completed" is misleading because those teams had already played the dregs of the league and had already banked the points from the lesser teams. We had played Portsmouth and beaten them 2-0 at home and drawn 2-2 away, drawn 2-2 with Coventry at home, beaten Rotherham 2-1 at home but lost away, thrashed Wycombe 4-0 at home and drew 3-3 away and thrashed Oxford 4-0 at home but lost 1-0 away. The only remaining game for us against top opposition was Coventry away. All the rest were against struggling teams, whereas the top teams still had to play each other and points would have been lost by them.
Who's to say that Posh weren't as good as the top six? We were right royally done over! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Aug 2020, 08:46

ashman wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 04:30
tonyp wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 23:03
ashman wrote:
Exactly tony, but to say "The reason we are still in League 1 is because we weren't as good as the top six - Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth or Fleetwood (on average) for the part of the season that was completed" is misleading because those teams had already played the dregs of the league and had already banked the points from the lesser teams. We had played Portsmouth and beaten them 2-0 at home and drawn 2-2 away, drawn 2-2 with Coventry at home, beaten Rotherham 2-1 at home but lost away, thrashed Wycombe 4-0 at home and drew 3-3 away and thrashed Oxford 4-0 at home but lost 1-0 away. The only remaining game for us against top opposition was Coventry away. All the rest were against struggling teams, whereas the top teams still had to play each other and points would have been lost by them.
Who's to say that Posh weren't as good as the top six? We were right royally done over! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
A terrible result, that was the two points we lost that cost us our place in the top six, four points difference between us and Wycombe. I still can’t believe we threw that away after leading when they went down to ten men.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Aug 2020, 10:06

bristleposh wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 08:46
A terrible result, that was the two points we lost that cost us our place in the top six, four points difference between us and Wycombe. I still can’t believe we threw that away after leading when they went down to ten men.
There countless games, throughout all the leagues and throughout all the seasons where teams can say exactly the same. Sometimes you win, sometimes you draw and sometimes you lose, but throwing away points is not the preserve of just Posh!
Overall we were still the best in the league.