Championship Fixtures

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Championship Fixtures

Post by bristleposh » 21 Aug 2020, 09:41

Wycombe have been given a home match as their first game in the second tier against Rotherham, they have been in touch with the FA to tell them they can't afford to go ahead with this fixture along with all the rest of the fixtures and hope that the FA will just allow them to play in the end of season play-offs along with the teams that finish 3rd, 4th, and 5th
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Re: Championship Fixtures

Post by ashman » 21 Aug 2020, 09:45

bristleposh wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 09:41
Wycombe have been given a home match as their first game in the second tier against Rotherham, they have been in touch with the FA to tell them they can't afford to go ahead with this fixture along with all the rest of the fixtures and hope that the FA will just allow them to play in the end of season play-offs along with the teams that finish 3rd, 4th, and 5th
Boom, boom! :clap:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 21 Aug 2020, 19:35

Ashman has endorsed this 'tongue in cheek' post, so I'll add a little comment for what it's worth

I imagine all of us on this forum have teams that we dislike and that we look for at Saturday teatime hoping they get hammered. It may be for personal, historical or other reasons. I have my own few that I watch for and I can guarantee you that Wycombe are now right at the top of the list.

I don't agree with much that you post Brizzle but I like this one.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 21 Aug 2020, 19:44

Bluemike wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 19:35
Ashman has endorsed this 'tongue in cheek' post, so I'll add a little comment for what it's worth

I imagine all of us on this forum have teams that we dislike and that we look for at Saturday teatime hoping they get hammered. It may be for personal, historical or other reasons. I have my own few that I watch for and I can guarantee you that Wycombe are now right at the top of the list.

I don't agree with much that you post Brizzle but I like this one.
I agree with most things that Brizzle posts. But I think that this one should be in Just for Fun.
It's not Wycombe's fault that the EFL made a mess of things. Who knows how the season would really have finished? It should have been played out but it wasn't.
The fans of Wycombe will not deserve the bad attitude that other club's fans will throw at them.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Aug 2020, 20:23

I know it should have been in just for fun Tony I just thought it would have more impact here
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 22 Aug 2020, 07:57

Nipper and I always really enjoyed our trips to Wycombe and if you asked us what was one of our favourite away day we would always say Wycombe. I guess that has changed, not because of the messing about of the EFL but because of Wycombe's insistence that they couldn't play on for financial problems. They then could miraculously play when GPG moved them up from eighth to third! It is this Tony that has driven a wedge between the clubs. I know that bristle posted this as a tongue in cheek pop at Wycombe but it is a serious topic and he was right to post it here. Anyway Nipper and I will not have to worry about loyalties towards Wycombe as they are now in the league above us - for a very limited time we all hope!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 22 Aug 2020, 10:03

ashman wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 07:57
I will not have to worry about loyalties towards Wycombe as they are now in the league above us - for a very limited time we all hope!
I'm lucky. I don't care what happens to Wycombe. I'm interested only in what happens to the Posh.

dunc

Post by dunc » 22 Aug 2020, 10:45

But what happened to Wycombe was at the expense of what happened to Posh!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 22 Aug 2020, 10:51

dunc wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 10:45
But what happened to Wycombe was at the expense of what happened to Posh!
But it wasn't Wycombe's fault. Had we played on they could have finished higher than Posh. Who will ever know?

ashman

Post by ashman » 22 Aug 2020, 11:40

They weren’t prepared to play on until the EFL mess up. They then decided after a shift from eighth to third that they could afford to play in the playoffs! It was a complete nonsense between by the EFL and the club.

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 22 Aug 2020, 17:34

ashman wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 11:40
They weren’t prepared to play on until the EFL mess up. They then decided after a shift from eighth to third that they could afford to play in the playoffs! It was a complete nonsense between by the EFL and the club.
And it is for that precise double-standard reason that I have added them to my "I hope you get hammered" list. Nothing against the fans... it's the club.

ashman

Post by ashman » 22 Aug 2020, 17:55

Bluemike wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 17:34
ashman wrote:
And it is for that precise double-standard reason that I have added them to my "I hope you get hammered" list. Nothing against the fans... it's the club.
Absolutely!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 22 Aug 2020, 20:10

Bluemike wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 17:34
ashman wrote:
Well the fans are going to cop a lot of abuse. You can count on that.
The reason we are still in League 1 is because we weren't as good as the top six - Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth or Fleetwood (on average) for the part of the season that was completed.
I wanted Posh to get promoted just as much as anybody else.
Had the final result (decided by the EFL not Wycombe) favoured Posh we would all have been cheering and couldn't have cared less about the clubs that missed out.
We have to move on and get into the Championship this season. Wycombe will get enough abuse from Posh fans and may well please all except their own fans by dropping into League 1 again.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Aug 2020, 20:40

Wycombe fans will be pleased to have read
"In an all-Championship tie, newly promoted Wycombe Wanderers will travel to the new Brentford Community Stadium to take on the 2019/20 Play-Off Finalists, Brentford, at 12.00pm on Sunday 6 September. Being shown live on Sky Sports"
Posh fans can watch and boo every time a Wycombe player gets near the ball.

ashman

Post by ashman » 24 Aug 2020, 21:26

tonyp wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 20:40
Wycombe fans will be pleased to have read
"In an all-Championship tie, newly promoted Wycombe Wanderers will travel to the new Brentford Community Stadium to take on the 2019/20 Play-Off Finalists, Brentford, at 12.00pm on Sunday 6 September. Being shown live on Sky Sports"
Posh fans can watch and boo every time a Wycombe player gets near the ball.
Who gives a 'monkey' about Wycombe fans? Certainly not any Posh fans! :evil: :evil: