Top 5 World Players of all time

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by bristleposh » 24 Feb 2020, 23:42

White G wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 20:38

It's also worth noting that football is more popular than ever globally, with better training facilities, training methods etc.
Absolutely; this is why Posh regularly had crowds north of 10k in the midland league, and now struggle to get half that in the third division.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

White G

Post by White G » 25 Feb 2020, 00:24

bristleposh wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 23:42
White G wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 20:38

It's also worth noting that football is more popular than ever globally, with better training facilities, training methods etc.
Absolutely; this is why Posh regularly had crowds north of 10k in the midland league, and now struggle to get half that in the third division.
So you're basing the attendances of a provincial lower-league club in England as argument that football isn't more popular than ever over the entire world???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's more & more countries playing football seriously, with professional leagues all over now. In the good old days it wasn't quite the same global game as it is now, although I'm sure the great players of old would do really well if they were in today's era.

The bottom line though is that a top modern side of today would thrash some of these so-called great teams of yesteryear simply because the game has evolved and become more advanced.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Feb 2020, 00:27

...but certainly not Scottish teams from the pub league who can’t even beat a team from Gibraltar

White G

Post by White G » 25 Feb 2020, 22:08

bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 00:27
...but certainly not Scottish teams from the pub league who can’t even beat a team from Gibraltar
I don't know what you're on about now, but rather than trying to make digs, stop making silly points. Your case study on the popularity of football was pretty feeble, just take the feedback & move on.

You can't control your chances to argue, you're best retorting with quality rather than quantity though.

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Feb 2020, 00:19

White G wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 22:08
bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 00:27
I don't know what you're on about now, but rather than trying to make digs, stop making silly points. Your case study on the popularity of football was pretty feeble, just take the feedback & move on.

You can't control your chances to argue, you're best retorting with quality rather than quantity though.
Good retort! Boom, boom! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 26 Feb 2020, 11:08

White G wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 00:24
The bottom line though is that a top modern side of today would thrash some of these so-called great teams of yesteryear simply because the game has evolved and become more advanced.
Get someone, who knows how to do it, to put the Posh teams into a computer programme giving them both the same training and pay etc and see which team comes out on top. My money is on the 1960s Posh.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Feb 2020, 14:10

In my opinion it is absolutely impossible to compare teams from different eras. It's like comparing Roger Federer to Fred Perry! Courts are vastly different as is the equipment used, balls, racquets etc.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 26 Feb 2020, 14:26

ashman wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 14:10
balls,
I thought it was quite a reasonable post

Reginald Freemasonry

Post by Reginald Freemasonry » 26 Feb 2020, 17:19

ashman wrote:
In my opinion it is absolutely impossible to compare teams from different eras. It's like comparing Roger Federer to Fred Perry! Courts are vastly different as is the equipment used, balls, racquets etc.
There is no doubt in my mind that Denis Law would have been a world class player in any era. And Jimmy Greaves.

White G

Post by White G » 26 Feb 2020, 23:38

Reginald Freemasonry wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 17:19
ashman wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that Denis Law would have been a world class player in any era. And Jimmy Greaves.
I've no doubt, if they were in this era they'd still be amongst the best I'm sure. Zap them from their peak in the 60s, straight into a Champions League game though and I reckon they'd be out their depth due the fitness, speed & power of the modern game.

Functioning alcoholics like George Best wouldn't be able to let their talent alone carry them in today's game.

Meatspinner

Post by Meatspinner » 26 Feb 2020, 23:43

But what if you try it the other way round?

Send Harry Kane back to a time when it was a fag at half time, a steak before the match, 10 Double Diamonds afterwards, a pitch like Passchendaele for five months of the season and defenders who would make a rape seem like a birthday present and let's see how he gets on.

White G

Post by White G » 27 Feb 2020, 00:09

Meatspinner wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:43

Send Harry Kane back to a time when it was a fag at half time, a steak before the match, 10 Double Diamonds afterwards, a pitch like Passchendaele for five months of the season and defenders who would make a rape seem like a birthday present and let's see how he gets on.
Ha! I never thought about it that way.,😁

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 27 Feb 2020, 07:50

ashman wrote:
It's like comparing Roger Federer to Fred Perry! Courts are vastly different as is the equipment used, balls, racquets etc.
:stupid:
it's exactly like comparing Federer and Perry.
About 20 years ago the Australian newspaper had their computer guys produce a cricket match between two teams from different eras.
Everything was fed into the computer "equipment used, balls, bats etc".
It was a game between Australia and England. Australia won so we readers were happy.
I'd hazard a guess that the computer experts could make a good job of it now.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 28 Feb 2020, 17:14

Meatspinner wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:43

Don't forget not getting his mid season break despite playing fewer games than your average Posh first teamer