Lincoln v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Lincoln v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 29 Dec 2020, 12:40

https://www.theposh.com/news/2020/decem ... -coverage/

Our fixture selected to be on Sky at 12.30 on the 9th January. I wonder after after about three weeks of inactivity, and with injured player’s returning, some of our squad may have been getting to know what their colleagues look like. Does anybody know the status of players like Ricky-Jade Jones and Joe Ward are and any others likely to be sidelined because of injury, didn’t Clarke-Harris hobble off in our last game.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Re: Lincoln v Posh

Post by ashman » 29 Dec 2020, 13:50

bristleposh wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 12:40

Our fixture selected to be on Sky at 12.30 on the 9th January. I wonder after after about three weeks of inactivity, and with injured player’s returning, some of our squad may have been getting to know what their colleagues look like. Does anybody know the status of players like Ricky-Jade Jones and Joe Ward are and any others likely to be sidelined because of injury, didn’t Clarke-Harris hobble off in our last game.
I'm sure that Fergie will update us soon enough but as I recall, RJJ was almost ready to be considered, (he was back on the grass!) JCH was ok after the last match but I have no idea about Joe Ward!
I hope that has been helpful - boom, boom! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ashman

Post by ashman » 30 Dec 2020, 21:42

bristleposh wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 12:40

Here you go bristle:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... ad-3080796

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 Dec 2020, 23:48

Thank you darling
they're a prat!

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Jan 2021, 14:56

1-1, and Posh are off the hook since Lincoln can't take penalties. Thompson sent off for two yellows

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 09 Jan 2021, 15:07

Thompson should be fined by the club. Becoming a liability.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 09 Jan 2021, 15:15

Our set pieces are the pits. Somebody has to take responsibility for it soon
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Jan 2021, 15:55

Gaz_Miller wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 15:15
Our set pieces are the pits. Somebody has to take responsibility for it soon
They are better than Lincoln's! :wink:

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Jan 2021, 15:56

Gaz_Miller wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 15:07
Thompson should be fined by the club. Becoming a liability.
Yep, and also one of our most effective players. With him out of the team and we have struggled big time!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jan 2021, 17:13

That was a disappointing result, we had so much of the game in the first half we should really have been more than one goal in front. To hang on was a massive surprise having conceded the penalty and being down to ten men. In the end I was happy with a point, but as I said with all that possession and attacking intent in the first half we should have been out of sight. Such a shame Dembele didn’t play, we could have done with eleven players from the start, he is trying hard to do a Maddison. Szmodics looked much improved, Kanu and Burrows did OK but why do we bother sending Kent and Beevers forward for corners, it’s so rare either get near the cross and it always leaves us susceptible to the quick break as we were a couple of times late in the first half. Easy to be critical of Thompson, conceding a penalty for handball after having already gained a yellow for taking one for the team when left stranded. Pym saved us with a brilliant point blank save. Brown and Taylor both did well today. Difficult to pick a man of the match but probably Taylor or Pym.
they're a prat!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 09 Jan 2021, 21:32

The standard of football in the Third Division is nothing to write home about.
Lincoln were no better or worse than Posh and a draw was a fair result.
The sooner we get out of this division (upwards) the better.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 09 Jan 2021, 23:19

Wasn’t able to watch as iFollow only had audio and the commentary was not great as they were not in the stadium. I think Fergie really wanted to win this one but a point away at the league leaders is a good result. Sounded like we didn’t create enough or work their keeper when on top. Good job they missed the penalty. Results elsewhere are not hurting us right but I really do think we should be running away at the top of the league....

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 10 Jan 2021, 12:34

tonyp wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 21:32
The standard of football in the Third Division is nothing to write home about.
Lincoln were no better or worse than Posh and a draw was a fair result.
The sooner we get out of this division (upwards) the better.
Results this season suggest to me that there is not one single team of any real quality in League 1,

Teams winning promotion will need to spend heavily to vastly improve their squads if they are to survive in the Championship next season.

ashman

Post by ashman » 10 Jan 2021, 13:38

PoshCynic wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 12:34
Results this season suggest to me that there is not one single team of any real quality in League 1,
Teams winning promotion will need to spend heavily to vastly improve their squads if they are to survive in the Championship next season.
Totally agree PC. That is a given, even on occasions where promoted teams have been a top force all season in League One. There used to be a huge gulf between Premier League and Championship levels of football (there still is of course) but now the gap seems to be shifting between Championship and League One.
Cast your minds back to the 2008-09 season.

1 Leicester City (C, P) 46 27 15 4 84 39 +45 96 (Top team all season)
2 Peterborough United (P) 46 26 11 9 78 54 +24 89

Posh and Leicester were both promoted and yet the following year we were once again relegated but Leicester ended up in the playoffs narrowly missing out on penalties to Cardiff, who eventually were beaten by Blackpool for the top spot. It shows that unless you are a team with immense resources and huge crowds, such as Leicester it is very, very difficult to maintain even a reasonable spot in the championship. Witness, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Sunderland back in the same league as Posh!
I think this just shows how difficult a job DMac, Fergie and co. are facing, even if we do get back into the Championship!

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 10 Jan 2021, 15:58

Championship football might be a lucrative pipedream for our owners, but in reality we are a million miles off from being a Championship club, new ground or not.
Like I've said many times on this site, buying cheap and selling to the highest bidder will always prioritise promotion. Division 1 is our level and will be for many years to come!!