A Useful Indicator

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

A Useful Indicator

Post by JohnC » 29 Nov 2020, 18:14

I will be quite alarmed if Thompson is named in the starting line-up – or even on the bench – at Wimbledon. Last season, injury/fitness issues limited him to fifteen League One appearances. We’re three months into this season, and he’s missed one of those months due to injury. His value to the team is clear: we’re better with him in the line-up than we are without him. This season, he’s made ten L1 appearances: prior to his injury-related 82nd minute substitution against Burton, he’d played 90 minutes in all the other fixtures bar the Fleetwood game, which he departed in the 78th minute. In other words, a player with a significant recent injury history has been averaging 88 minutes per game until….he broke down. Does that sound like good player/minutes management? Still, Thompson has apparently earned his one-year contract extension, in the view of the club management. Meanwhile, Naismith is exiled from the League One squad; lucky we’re so well provided with competence and reliability in the full back position.

The manager has suggested that Thompson’s injury doesn’t take kindly to significant coach travel on the day of an away game. I believe that the potential short-term gain of playing him on Wednesday would not be worth the long-term risk of aggravating his hamstring injury. But a manager floundering in the shallow end might well snatch at the Thompson lifebelt.

Last season, I posted this about George Boyd:
Boyd has missed seven of our twenty-two L1 fixtures. He has suggested that he is playing deeper than he might wish, and the Chairman has raised the possibility that he might have been ‘overplayed’. The manager has risked damaging his thoroughbred by deploying him on carthorse duties.’

In the remaining fifteen L1 fixtures, Boyd made six appearances, logging 193 minutes, or the equivalent of two games.

bristleposh

Re: A Useful Indicator

Post by bristleposh » 29 Nov 2020, 19:32

Even if Thompson were available for Wednesday, it would be grossly unfair on Blake-Tracey who apart from Pym was the only player who deserved to be paid after the Chorley game.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 29 Nov 2020, 21:06

bristleposh wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:32
Even if Thompson were available for Wednesday, it would be grossly unfair on Blake-Tracey who apart from Pym was the only player who deserved to be paid after the Chorley game.
The PET had this to say about FBT:
' A big disappointment after the promise of his previous match. Looked nervy on the ball and kept giving it away.'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 29 Nov 2020, 21:20

I think he deserved his place for that challenge that pushed the ball against the post
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!