Personnel

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators:ashman, poshnipper

JohnC
Personnel

Post by JohnC » 25 Nov 2020, 15:31

I found it a little worrying to learn that the club had chosen to congratulate itself on managing Joe Ward’s fitness: 'Joe has struggled with a sore knee this season,' Posh boss Darren Ferguson was quoted in the PET as saying: ‘….But when we last broke from League One games we got an injection into him and he’s looked fit and strong since.’
Except that Ward is now apparently facing a five-week lay-off since that injection.

I feel that as a matter of principle, any athlete should strongly resist accepting an injection designed to accelerate/facilitate his return to competition. I wish the PFA would take a strong stand on the matter. My own view is that such injections equate to the administration of performance-enhancing drugs, and are generally detrimental to the athlete’s medium- to long-term health. (Former NBA player Bill Walton’s injection history with the Portland Trail Blazers is the ultimate cautionary tale in this area.) That PUFC is injecting Joe Ward barely a quarter of the way into the League One campaign seems like short-termism bordering on irresponsibility. What does it say about squad strength/depth?

Which brings me to Nathan Thompson. He’s clearly a good player, and we are better with him in the team than when he’s unavailable. That said, he missed significant playing time due to injury last season, when he managed fifteen L1 appearances, and he’s also missed time due to a hamstring injury this season. At this point in the season, giving a contract extension to a well-upholstered thirty-year old full back with a developing muscle/tissue injury-record seems to me a little precipitate.

Speaking of hasty actions, I wonder if we’d have been so keen on Sammy Szmodics if he’d produced this season’s form (one goal in 13 L1 starts, substituted seven times) last season, when he returned four L1 goals in ten appearances. Still, the chairman assures us that ‘Sammie can go as high and as far as he wants in football….(Not a view shared by his former club, Bristol City, apparently.) ' Sammie would be unbelievable for us in the Championship’ Anyway, the Chairman opines that ‘He’s short of goals, but once he gets one he’ll go on a run and get 10 or 12’, so that’s all right. If Szmodics had converted the presentable chances he’s had during and since the Shrewsbury game, he’d be our top scorer.

The potential Dembele brothers reunion about which I’ve posted on more than one occasion is now being discussed more frequently north of the border. Unfortunately, the scenario being mooted is Siriki signing a pre-contract agreement with Celtic in January prior to joining Karamoko at the end of the season. Is Siriki’s contract up at the end of this season? If so, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the Chairman’s kite-flying: ‘….should he leave us for £15 million or whatever….’ Still, a little hot air helps to ward off the Autumnal chills….

ashman

Re: Personnel

Post by ashman » 25 Nov 2020, 19:22

Have a word with Gabriel Zakuani, presently manager of Spalding United. He was pumped with pain killers all his playing career!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ashman

Re: Personnel

Post by ashman » 25 Nov 2020, 19:59

JCH injury not as bad as it seemed. A quick injection should help! :wink:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... an-3047623
'Everybody needs to have a friend'