First Quarter Report

Post by JohnC » 05 Nov 2020, 22:01

Two seasons ago, we opened with
P 11 W 7 D 3 L 1 F 25 A 11 Pts 24

Last season, we managed
P11 W 5 D 3 L 3 F 26 A 15 Pts 18

This season we have posted
P11 W8 D1 L 5 F 21 A 9 Pts 25

Finally, it’s good to be able to report progress at this point since the last managerial change. After last season’s deflating last-minute penalty equaliser conceded to rivals Wycombe at this stage, nothing will fluff up the pillows better this time around than the composed, professional, methodical performance we turned in at Bristol.

The League Table
It is, of course, always the case that the table can be misleading at this stage (Accrington have four games in hand over us). At this point last season, I posted ‘I didn’t expect – at almost any point of the season – to be peering up at Wycombe and Fleetwood.’ We know how that played out. I’m similarly surprised by Lincoln’s current lofty position, but given that five of their fifteen goals have come from penalties, (six penalties awarded in their first eight games), unless the Imps are (Sincil) banking on being awarded about twenty-four penalties this season, they may find goals harder to come by for the rest of the campaign.

‘A Tough Opening Schedule’?
A convenient nonsense, to be filed alongside ‘The Revenge Tour’ and ‘We Wuz Robbed Last Season’.
Our opening fixtures have matched us against three teams in the top ten; the other eight opponents are bottom-half teams (including the bottom five) Accrington beat us more convincingly than did Sunderland; the manager was enthusiastic about our single-goal victory at bottom-placed Wigan, past whom struggling Cobblers put three in their away victory last Saturday. Given our well-documented struggles against lower-placed teams previously, maybe we should just settle for the anodyne ‘Every game is a tough game’ formula.

Goalscoring
Toney and Godden have fourteen Championship goals so far this season; Eisa and Jonson Clarke-Harris have six. Let’s hope that the goal-sharing throughout the team will continue. We should be mindful of how effective the long, lofted ball played out of defence can be (think of Ward’s goal against Oxford, and three of the goals against Shrewsbury. Thankfully, we seem to be scoring different types of goal, which makes us less predictable to defend against. We have two goals from defenders, which is already an improvement on the minus-one they totalled last season.

Goal-Prevention.
This time last season, I posted ‘Pym is looking like our worst goalkeeper in the past decade.’ Although I think it was fair comment at the time, I’m happy to reverse that assessment. I suspect that confidence in the keeper has helped settle the defenders in front of him.

First-Half Lethargy
Maybe starting with Reed or Broom instead of Brown occasionally would help in some circumstances. I’m not overly impressed by bellowing and fist-clenching, but I don’t see much evidence of on-field captaincy – or side-line coaching, for that matter. In these days of muted stadia, (the Evans/Raynor soundtrack must pose a challenge for iFollow sound engineers, I imagine) it ought to be easier for managers to communicate with players, but we seem unable to effect significant tactical changes before the half-time break.

Dembele and JC-H
Dembele has won forty-four free kicks and conceded twenty. He’s been booked once.
JCH has won twenty-four free kicks and conceded fourteen. He hasn’t been booked. While Toney may benefit from ‘playing on the edge’, he clocked up one red card and twenty-four yellows during seventy-six League One appearances for us (he has one yellow card this season).; JC-H looks less likely to miss time due to suspension.

Jonson Clarke-Harris
He’s on schedule for a twenty-plus League One goals campaign. He’s played all bar sixteen minutes of the opening eleven fixtures. He helps out all over the pitch. Productive, professional, industrious: so far, I think we’re getting what we paid for.

Luck
However it actually manifests itself, fortune appears neutral so far. If anything, we’ve been marginal beneficiaries of whatever rub of the green has been evident: the penalty at Sunderland cost us one point; Dembele’s deflected winner at Hull gained two points. Overall, we’ve won three penalties and conceded one, and if we felt aggrieved at Sunderland, the penalty decisions went our way against Swindon. We wouldn’t have had much cause to grumble if two of our wins – over Fleetwood and Hull – had ended up as draws. We’ve struck the frame of the goal a few times, but frankly that’s a matter of insufficient accuracy, not luck. We played Burton and Shrewsbury when they were both weakened by injury-related absences. We’ve avoided the rash of own goals which was a feature of last season. Injuries have been mercifully at a minimum.

Corners
This season, we’ve had sixty-four corners and haven’t scored from one of them. Mark Beevers dutifully trots forward on each occasion, but is goalless in forty-three League One appearances for us. The season before joining us, he managed three Championship goals for a struggling Bolton team. He may be doing more harm than good in these set pieces. Kent looks more dangerous, and both he and JCH might actually benefit from Beevers’ occasional absence for our corners. The flat, driven corner to Kent at the near post, and the short corner to Dembele look the most likely options. We’re told that Coach Robson spends a lot of time on set-pieces, so it would be good to see some evidence of this when we win a corner.

Eisa
The manager will have to do a better job of demonstrating faith in Eisa, who has been almost entirely absent from our successful run at the end(sic) of last season and the beginning of this one. Eisa has one goal (and a missed penalty, I seem to recall) in his last twenty-one League One appearances; that’s straying perilously close to Luke James’ level of productivity. Against Fleetwood, Eisa didn’t make it beyond half-time; we were losing at Sunderland, but he remained on the bench; needing a goal against Burton (the last team Eisa scored against) the manager opted for Broom rather than Eisa, and we know how well that move worked. A manager keeps a million-pound striker on the bench in the closing minutes of games in which his League One team needs a goal: I bet that doesn’t happen very often. Last season, Eisa didn’t score until four games into the campaign; this season, he was lifted at half-time during the second game, and he’s amassed sixteen minutes since then, coming on when we led 3-1 at home to ten-man Shrewsbury.

The Future
As long as we are top or near the top of the table, we can expect teams to play defensively against us (don’t expect a goal feast at Crewe, who have scored eight and conceded nine). Patience will be required – but patience of the urgent rather than lethargic kind. Nevertheless, I expect to see a rise in the total of point-draining draws which we’ve avoided so far.
Szmodics and Eisa will probably have to make a significant goal-scoring contribution.

Siriki Dembele’s seventeen-year old brother Karamoko is out of contract with Celtic at the end of the season. He’s highly-regarded there, but that esteem hasn’t translated into much playing time. Secure promotion, extend Sirike’s contract and sign Karamoko (permanently, preferably; on loan otherwise): that’ll do nicely, Santa.

bristleposh

Re: First Quarter Report

Post by bristleposh » 06 Nov 2020, 09:16

I hadn’t realised we were that dreadful, it has become harder to accept as a Posh fan that we are not 8th or 9th and peering up at so many other teams. We could easily have started the season with seven defeats, but we didn’t, I think we have been lucky to be where we are because, apart from at Bristol, we appear to have been second best, especially in the first half of games. Where we have won games seems to be from some magical long range shooting from Butler, Ward, Taylor, JCH, Dembele, and Brown, and the magical feet of Dembele.even the luckless Szmodics has kept on plugging despite his inability with a banjo so far this season.
Another major factor to our good start has been the ability of all the defenders and Pym to block just about everything aimed at the goal. Yes, he’s conceded a few, but the vast majority of those that have been unstoppable by any keeper. I have thought all along that he would be a good keeper, he is brave and strong and his distribution has been for the most part superb and quick (apart from when he is helping to protect a lead).
As soon as Szmodics starts to get a bit of luck that his industry deserves we will certainly stay in the top few places, hopefully right at the top.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 06 Nov 2020, 09:27

Three cheers for the manager. Well done Fergie!

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 06 Nov 2020, 19:09

A nice report JohnC. Some interesting food for thought in it too. Thanks very much. I'd like to think that DF and the board happen to click on it.

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 06 Nov 2020, 23:10

It amazes me that people question the manor of our victories so much. When I was a young lad in the 70s, I don’t remember giving a ***** about how well we played, I was only interested in the result. Everyone would like us to play scintillating football and win 4-0 every match but it’s never going to happen. There are some good teams with some good players in this league and we won’t have it all our own way every game. Scratching out wins at Wigan and Hull was fantastic, we didn’t deserve to win but who cares? Many times I’ve watched Posh dominate games for 90 mins and then concede in the last minute, far more enjoyable to watch us under the cosh for 90 mins and then sneak a win.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Nov 2020, 23:33

Wilco wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 23:10
It amazes me that people question the manor of our victories so much. When I was a young lad in the 70s, I don’t remember giving a ***** about how well we played, I was only interested in the result. Everyone would like us to play scintillating football and win 4-0 every match but it’s never going to happen. There are some good teams with some good players in this league and we won’t have it all our own way every game. Scratching out wins at Wigan and Hull was fantastic, we didn’t deserve to win but who cares? Many times I’ve watched Posh dominate games for 90 mins and then concede in the last minute, far more enjoyable to watch us under the cosh for 90 mins and then sneak a win.
I agree and ling may it continue
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Nov 2020, 23:49

Wilco wrote:
Totally agree. I recorded the EFL show shown on Wednesday night and the manner in which goals were scored was quite staggering. The amount of skill, effort, physicality and stamina shown by a number of clubs in our league is amazing. Conceding loads of those goals that were shown would not be at all embarrassing as the level of football is really good. Just a few weeks ago Lincoln were blazing away at the top of the league and suddenly they have dropped points and are down in fourth, three points behind us! Charlton and Posh seem to be the teams that are in form right now but I wouldn't be surprised to see league positions change loads in the next few weeks.
How often do teams go on completely undisturbed victories past about six consecutive games. A six game winning run is excellent, but rarely goes beyond that!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Nov 2020, 09:00

bristleposh wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 23:33
Wilco wrote:
I agree and long may it continue
Me too.
Good post Wilco.