Posh v Oxford

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18601
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Posh v Oxford

Post by ashman » 12 Oct 2020, 08:21

Thoughts? Early season last year, they twice beat us 1-0 but we got revenge in February thumping them 4-0. They look a different team this year with only 3 points from their opening four games and are sitting in one of the 'relegation' spots. Very early days and things can change enormously in the next month or so.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30047
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by bristleposh » 12 Oct 2020, 08:30

Thoughts are, they have been playing well, without getting results. I think we should wait until our resident expert comes on and tells us exactly what the score will be, how the manager will pick the wrong players and the wrong bench. If you want the opinion of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, I'll give my two penneth, hopefully, we'll get a result in the positive sense and move up into an automatic position, but that of course will depend on other results.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18601
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by ashman » 12 Oct 2020, 08:50

bristleposh wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 08:30
Thoughts are, they have been playing well, without getting results. I think we should wait until our resident expert comes on and tells us exactly what the score will be, how the manager will pick the wrong players and the wrong bench. If you want the opinion of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, I'll give my two penneth, hopefully, we'll get a result in the positive sense and move up into an automatic position, but that of course will depend on other results.
:D :D :clap2:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 810
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Gaz_Miller » 12 Oct 2020, 11:50

Must win game against a team struggling for any kind of form.
Liverpool currently 5th in the Premier League, West Brom currently 4th from bottom. Would Liverpool fans be expecting anything other than a home win?

Anybody who can't see that is wasting their time following football.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

Wilco
Posts: 36
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Wilco » 12 Oct 2020, 13:50

Gaz_Miller wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:50
Must win game against a team struggling for any kind of form.
Liverpool currently 5th in the Premier League, West Brom currently 4th from bottom. Would Liverpool fans be expecting anything other than a home win?

Anybody who can't see that is wasting their time following football.
Is it really a must win game?
The analogy is not great. Like Liverpool, Posh have spent more money than some other teams in their league but, whilst I get what you mean, comparing Oxford to West Brom doesn’t quite work. West Brom are relegation fodder whereas anyone who knows anything about League 1 football would expect Oxford to be challenging for the top 6, and just because they’re struggling doesn’t mean it will be a pushover......then again, I might just be wasting my time :D . However, if we put in the same sort of performance that we managed in last seasons home game, you would expect us to win.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18601
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by ashman » 12 Oct 2020, 14:04

Gaz_Miller wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:50
Must win game against a team struggling for any kind of form.
Liverpool currently 5th in the Premier League, West Brom currently 4th from bottom. Would Liverpool fans be expecting anything other than a home win?

Anybody who can't see that is wasting their time following football.
Must win game???? You make me laugh! :D Far too early in the season to be posting those sort of ideas!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

HantsPosh
Posts: 517
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by HantsPosh » 12 Oct 2020, 20:05

Every game is must win this season as those clowns in number 10 are just waiting to lock us all up again so we need to be in a promotion position for when that g0bsh1te Parry cancels the season!! :wink:

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18601
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by ashman » 13 Oct 2020, 07:42

HantsPosh wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 20:05
Every game is must win this season as those clowns in number 10 are just waiting to lock us all up again so we need to be in a promotion position for when that g0bsh1te Parry cancels the season!! :wink:
Yeh, forgot about that! :wink: :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

stumpy
Posts: 98
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by stumpy » 14 Oct 2020, 02:42

Expecting a win as they are struggling with a bot of play-off hangover and we are just hitting our stride. 3-0 Posh

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20660
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by tonyp » 15 Oct 2020, 19:22

Peterborough Telegraph
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... ne-3003524
Alan Swann thinks this will be the starting line-up-
Expected Posh line-up.
(4-2-3-1)
Pym
Thompson, Kent, Beevers, Butler.
Brown, Taylor.
Ward, Szmodics, Dembele.
Clarke-Harris.
and he reminds everybody that Fergie -
has warned his players to ignore Oxford United’s sluggish start to the season. They have plenty of ability out wide so it should a good and close game on Saturday.
I think this game is more of a "will win" than a "must win" suggested earlier in this thread.
We'll get 5 or 6 in the back of the net compared to their 1 or 2.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20660
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by tonyp » 16 Oct 2020, 18:25

According to the Oxford Mail -
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1879 ... ited-boss/
OXFORD United are confident of one thing tomorrow at Peterborough United – they will get a warmer welcome than at Gillingham last weekend.
Changing facilities at Priestfield were switched at late notice, apparently due to a local spike in coronavirus, to effectively an area in the concourse under the Medway Stand. it was cold enough that players were told to change at the hotel.
Head coach Karl Robinson, who says the EFL are looking into events at Gillingham, has been reassured there will be no such issues at London Road.
and
“It doesn’t surprise me the way Darragh (MacAnthony, co-owner), Darren (Ferguson, manager) and Barry (Fry, director of football) are.

“The way they respect teams, it’s a football club that does everything right.”
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

stumpy
Posts: 98
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by stumpy » 16 Oct 2020, 22:45

tonyp wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 18:25
According to the Oxford Mail -
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1879 ... ited-boss/
OXFORD United are confident of one thing tomorrow at Peterborough United – they will get a warmer welcome than at Gillingham last weekend.
Changing facilities at Priestfield were switched at late notice, apparently due to a local spike in coronavirus, to effectively an area in the concourse under the Medway Stand. it was cold enough that players were told to change at the hotel.
Head coach Karl Robinson, who says the EFL are looking into events at Gillingham, has been reassured there will be no such issues at London Road.
and
“It doesn’t surprise me the way Darragh (MacAnthony, co-owner), Darren (Ferguson, manager) and Barry (Fry, director of football) are.

“The way they respect teams, it’s a football club that does everything right.”
This must be how Steve Evans has Gillingham off to a flyer despite having a budget of about £4.36 .......

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 810
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Gaz_Miller » 17 Oct 2020, 15:36

This should be all over. Missing far too many chances
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 810
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Gaz_Miller » 17 Oct 2020, 15:50

What game are the Radio Cambridgeshire commentators watching?

Great game of football so far.

Come on Posh!
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

Tony Martin
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Sep 2020, 16:39

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Tony Martin » 17 Oct 2020, 17:07

Bang! Bang!

They don't get up from that.

And believe me, I know.

Post Reply