Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 01 Sep 2020, 19:03

ashman wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:59
bristleposh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:36
You never concede that there were occasions when we lost goals when he was led on the floor in agony allegedly
..... or that he had probably already scored a couple of goals. You never really appreciated the skills and contributions that Marcus had made to our team. I thought that now he had left us you would let the lad have a little bit of recognition.
Name me ONE occasion that Marcus did that!?
I can’t name one but I’m sure it certainly happened on more than one occasion
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 02 Sep 2020, 00:38

ashman wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:27
HantsPosh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:27
hmmm not sure about that tbh, talented yes but not the world beater everyone is making him out to be. If he was he wouldn't be going to Brentford. Yes we'll miss him for sure and especially so given his 'replacement' is sadly JC-H, but we'll miss Maddison a hell of a lot more imo (an on form interested Maddison that is).
You obviously haven't watched much Posh much home and away last year. Toney has turned out to be the complete player. He holds the ball up well, can turn players, has a ferocious shot with an eye for goal, is strong and aggressive in all departments and has often turned out to be our best defender, particularly when we were defending a set piece such as a free kick or corner. He is a clever lad and he never involved himself with the hustle and bustle in the goalmouth when defending but simply stood off from the crowd, waited for the kick to be taken and then attack the ball. Nine times out of ten he would win the header! Superb anticipation.
I have been a solid defender of Maddison. Toney would probably have scored quite a few more if Marcus had applied himself 100% in all games by providing the crosses that Ivan could convert. You've said it yourself 'an on form, interested Maddison' will be missed but nowhere near as much as Ivan Toney and his all round game which has prompted scouts from all over and a top transfer fee. If Maddison was as good as you seem to think he is, it is strange how nobody has picked him up and offered him big money to advance his career. He is a strange and very complicated young man who I feel needs such a lot of guidance, both on the field of play and in his life patterns.
Ashman I watched plenty of games last season including Burnley & Wimbledon away where Toney missed numerous simple chances in both games, the Burnley game being particularly telling in that it was his chance to shine against a potential suitor but he fluffed several chances and looked your typical league one striker who needs five chances to score.

A top transfer free that is undisclosed as usual and he’s gone to Brentford not to a much bigger club like a Watford or a Norwich. We all seem to be falling into the same trap as DMac and continually hyping our players to the point where we actually believe the hype. It’s clearly nonsense to call Ivan Posh’s greatest ever player as some have done on here. I hope the lad tears it up at Brentford though and gets a move to a PL club, for both himself as well as the club and that sell on clause.

On pure footballing ability Maddison is IMO a better player than Toney, whereas Ivan is clearly a much better man.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 02 Sep 2020, 15:56

ashman wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:59
bristleposh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:36
You never concede that there were occasions when we lost goals when he was led on the floor in agony allegedly
..... or that he had probably already scored a couple of goals. You never really appreciated the skills and contributions that Marcus had made to our team. I thought that now he had left us you would let the lad have a little bit of recognition.
Name me ONE occasion that Marcus did that!?
Maddison was our best player by far in the past 4 or 5 seasons before it went pear shaped this year. He certainly made the likes of Marriott and Toney look prolific when laying goals on a plate. He's a naturally gifted footballer and one that should never have been as "marmite" with Posh fans as he was. Too many people upset with his "antics" and not focused on the fact that he carried us almost single handedly for seasons...he has not yet found a club...would be funny if he came back as #15 just to see the haters have a hissy fit :clap2:

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 04 Sep 2020, 19:52

The only thing worse than Maddison coming back would be the return of Leo Da Silva Lopes.