Ivan Toney

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18537
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 19 Aug 2020, 13:24

'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Bluemike
Posts: 53
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Bluemike » 19 Aug 2020, 18:41

1 brain cell Boxer dog has just voted for him.
On a serious note though, I like the psychology of the club that they're not wrapping him up in cotton wool despite his price tag. Clever.

AndoverPoshFan
Posts: 274
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 21:42
Location: Andover

Ivans agent

Post by AndoverPoshFan » 30 Aug 2020, 18:58

Heard he is changing agents in September??? Bet thats been a tricky time considering agents fees they are likely to get.

All the best to the guy, certainly the best striker I have seen in my life time at the club.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20622
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by tonyp » 30 Aug 2020, 22:53

AndoverPoshFan wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 18:58
Heard he is changing agents in September??? Bet thats been a tricky time considering agents fees they are likely to get.

All the best to the guy, certainly the best striker I have seen in my life time at the club.
It has been reported somewhere that the reason Toney's sale is delayed is because the new agent will be appointed tomorrow (September 1st).
I expect we'll hear something very soon.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18537
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 31 Aug 2020, 11:11

Off to Brentford tomorrow on a five year deal. Undisclosed fee. Good luck Ivan and thanks for some wonderful memories!

https://www.theposh.com/news/2020/augus ... es-player/
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9718
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Brianposh » 31 Aug 2020, 16:54

Good luck Ivan, you have chosen a 'good' Club. Thanks for your time at Posh, you have been very special.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

stumpy
Posts: 84
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by stumpy » 01 Sep 2020, 12:39

Great player, one of the best in Posh history in my opinion - hope he goes on to set the championship on fire

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29976
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 01 Sep 2020, 14:12

stumpy wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 12:39
Great player, one of the best in Posh history in my opinion - hope he goes on to set the championship on fire
:stupid:
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

HantsPosh
Posts: 511
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by HantsPosh » 01 Sep 2020, 14:27

hmmm not sure about that tbh, talented yes but not the world beater everyone is making him out to be. If he was he wouldn't be going to Brentford. Yes we'll miss him for sure and especially so given his 'replacement' is sadly JC-H, but we'll miss Maddison a hell of a lot more imo (an on form interested Maddison that is).

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18537
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 01 Sep 2020, 15:27

HantsPosh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:27
hmmm not sure about that tbh, talented yes but not the world beater everyone is making him out to be. If he was he wouldn't be going to Brentford. Yes we'll miss him for sure and especially so given his 'replacement' is sadly JC-H, but we'll miss Maddison a hell of a lot more imo (an on form interested Maddison that is).
You obviously haven't watched much Posh much home and away last year. Toney has turned out to be the complete player. He holds the ball up well, can turn players, has a ferocious shot with an eye for goal, is strong and aggressive in all departments and has often turned out to be our best defender, particularly when we were defending a set piece such as a free kick or corner. He is a clever lad and he never involved himself with the hustle and bustle in the goalmouth when defending but simply stood off from the crowd, waited for the kick to be taken and then attack the ball. Nine times out of ten he would win the header! Superb anticipation.
I have been a solid defender of Maddison. Toney would probably have scored quite a few more if Marcus had applied himself 100% in all games by providing the crosses that Ivan could convert. You've said it yourself 'an on form, interested Maddison' will be missed but nowhere near as much as Ivan Toney and his all round game which has prompted scouts from all over and a top transfer fee. If Maddison was as good as you seem to think he is, it is strange how nobody has picked him up and offered him big money to advance his career. He is a strange and very complicated young man who I feel needs such a lot of guidance, both on the field of play and in his life patterns.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29976
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 01 Sep 2020, 15:48

I have to say I’d much prefer Toney in my team to Maddison.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18537
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 01 Sep 2020, 16:31

bristleposh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:48
I have to say I’d much prefer Toney in my team to Maddison.
I agree with you but there is not a lot between them, but only when Maddison was really 'on' it. He did some amazing things on the ball, scoring some truly wonderful goals and providing assists galore. Unfortunately he often went missing in games or had many petulant times when his concentration was affected badly.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9718
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Brianposh » 01 Sep 2020, 17:13

ashman wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:31
bristleposh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:48
I have to say I’d much prefer Toney in my team to Maddison.
I agree with you but there is not a lot between them, but only when Maddison was really 'on' it. He did some amazing things on the ball, scoring some truly wonderful goals and providing assists galore. Unfortunately he often went missing in games or had many petulant times when his concentration was affected badly.
I would not argue with that for sure.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29976
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by bristleposh » 01 Sep 2020, 18:36

You never concede that there were occasions when we lost goals when he was led on the floor in agony allegedly
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18537
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by ashman » 01 Sep 2020, 18:59

bristleposh wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:36
You never concede that there were occasions when we lost goals when he was led on the floor in agony allegedly
..... or that he had probably already scored a couple of goals. You never really appreciated the skills and contributions that Marcus had made to our team. I thought that now he had left us you would let the lad have a little bit of recognition.
Name me ONE occasion that Marcus did that!?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Post Reply