New players - confirmed signings

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 786
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Sep 2020, 10:57

Wilco wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:54
If we don’t win the league it’ll give you an excuse for more Fergie bashing.
If we don't finish in the top two, I'd say Fergie will have failed.

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18520
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by ashman » 10 Sep 2020, 12:09

Gaz_Miller wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:57
Wilco wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:54
If we don’t win the league it’ll give you an excuse for more Fergie bashing.
If we don't finish in the top two, I'd say Fergie will have failed.

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
Ridiculous post. Football is not an exact science! You have been around and watching football long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. Man City would have won the Premier last season if that is your belief and Leicester City would never have won back in 2016.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

stumpy
Posts: 74
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by stumpy » 10 Sep 2020, 12:18

ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:09
Gaz_Miller wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:57
Wilco wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:54
If we don’t win the league it’ll give you an excuse for more Fergie bashing.
If we don't finish in the top two, I'd say Fergie will have failed.

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
Ridiculous post. Football is not an exact science! You have been around and watching football long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. Man City would have won the Premier last season if that is your belief and Leicester City would never have won back in 2016.
Let's face it, the clubs with the biggest budgets achieve the most success. Posh should win the league this year and I think everyone knows it.

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 786
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Sep 2020, 13:10

ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:09
Ridiculous post. Football is not an exact science! You have been around and watching football long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. Man City would have won the Premier last season if that is your belief and Leicester City would never have won back in 2016.
Another one avoiding the question. I'll try again...

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

HantsPosh
Posts: 511
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by HantsPosh » 10 Sep 2020, 14:28

Again I find myself agreeing with Gaz :? :? This is Fergie’s squad and like a spoilt child at Christmas he’s got everything he wants now (that’s not Fergie bashing either, I like him and think he’s the man for the job albeit I think the JCH signing is a total waste of money and may come back to haunt us) but he has NO excuses now NONE!

Tell me another manager outside of the Premier League who’s been backed as much as him this summer.

Time to deliver Fergie and I for one very much hope he does and think it’s going to usual Posh Rollercoaster ride :clap: :clap:

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18520
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by ashman » 10 Sep 2020, 14:41

stumpy wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:18
Let's face it, the clubs with the biggest budgets achieve the most success. Posh should win the league this year and I think everyone knows it.
The owners have put us in a good position with the playing staff they have sanctioned. We can be optimistic that we should do well but calling for the manager's head before the season has properly begun shows an agenda of total dislike of him by the posters. Anything can happen in the coming months; we get crippled with injuries e.g. shoe-in players suffer season long injuries, potential excellent signings fail to live up to expectations, players get charged with criminal accusations, (NML case!) or financial irregularities from those in charge can change the season.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18520
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by ashman » 10 Sep 2020, 14:47

HantsPosh wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:28
I think the JCH signing is a total waste of money and may come back to haunt us.
Time to deliver Fergie and I for one very much hope he does and think it’s going to usual Posh Rollercoaster ride :clap: :clap:
What on earth have you seen, after just 45 minutes of competitive action, to convince you that JCH is a total waste of money?
I agree with your second paragraph!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 786
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Gaz_Miller » 10 Sep 2020, 15:09

ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:41
The owners have put us in a good position with the playing staff they have sanctioned. We can be optimistic that we should do well but calling for the manager's head before the season has properly begun shows an agenda of total dislike of him by the posters. Anything can happen in the coming months; we get crippled with injuries e.g. shoe-in players suffer season long injuries, potential excellent signings fail to live up to expectations, players get charged with criminal accusations, (NML case!) or financial irregularities from those in charge can change the season.
Who's called for the managers head? Show me the post(s).


I'll try again...

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

Wilco
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Wilco » 10 Sep 2020, 15:18

I think top 2 would be excellent and top 6 would be good.
There are other good teams in this division who have made decent signings in the summer.

Wilco
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Wilco » 10 Sep 2020, 15:33

stumpy wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:18
ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:09
Gaz_Miller wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:57


If we don't finish in the top two, I'd say Fergie will have failed.

Where do you think we should finish to hail the manager as having had a good season?
Ridiculous post. Football is not an exact science! You have been around and watching football long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. Man City would have won the Premier last season if that is your belief and Leicester City would never have won back in 2016.
Let's face it, the clubs with the biggest budgets achieve the most success. Posh should win the league this year and I think everyone knows it.
And if they don’t it will give you more ammo to fire at Fergie. Generally speaking, I agree that teams with bigger budgets get more success in the long term but it’s not guaranteed, see Everton.

HantsPosh
Posts: 511
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by HantsPosh » 10 Sep 2020, 15:39

ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:47
HantsPosh wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:28
I think the JCH signing is a total waste of money and may come back to haunt us.
Time to deliver Fergie and I for one very much hope he does and think it’s going to usual Posh Rollercoaster ride :clap: :clap:
What on earth have you seen, after just 45 minutes of competitive action, to convince you that JCH is a total waste of money?
I agree with your second paragraph!
He’s never lasted long anywhere he’s been Ashman, he didn’t exactly leave on good terms the first time and if he’s that good why has he signed for a team in league one which is of a similar size/stature to the one he left. Rovers bit our hands off and didn’t receive any offers from Championship clubs like a Barnsley, Luton or Reading.

And as for the 45 minutes of action, wasn’t that all Fergie saw to convince him to sign Tyrone Barnett :D

stumpy
Posts: 74
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by stumpy » 10 Sep 2020, 18:39

ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:41
stumpy wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:18
Let's face it, the clubs with the biggest budgets achieve the most success. Posh should win the league this year and I think everyone knows it.
The owners have put us in a good position with the playing staff they have sanctioned. We can be optimistic that we should do well but calling for the manager's head before the season has properly begun shows an agenda of total dislike of him by the posters. Anything can happen in the coming months; we get crippled with injuries e.g. shoe-in players suffer season long injuries, potential excellent signings fail to live up to expectations, players get charged with criminal accusations, (NML case!) or financial irregularities from those in charge can change the season.
Unlike those who called for the head of the previous manager before a ball was kicked, I haven't seen anyone call for Fergie's head only a few pointing out that it would be a failure if we don't go up given the money spent, the macro situation and that the manager has been backed tremendously by the owners (again)

stumpy
Posts: 74
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by stumpy » 10 Sep 2020, 18:40

Wilco wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 15:33
stumpy wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:18
ashman wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 12:09

Ridiculous post. Football is not an exact science! You have been around and watching football long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. Man City would have won the Premier last season if that is your belief and Leicester City would never have won back in 2016.
Let's face it, the clubs with the biggest budgets achieve the most success. Posh should win the league this year and I think everyone knows it.
And if they don’t it will give you more ammo to fire at Fergie. Generally speaking, I agree that teams with bigger budgets get more success in the long term but it’s not guaranteed, see Everton.
I think Everton are a classic example of not having the budgets of the bigger clubs but still managing to be top half as they spend more than the likes of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Norwich etc

Bluemike
Posts: 53
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: New players - confirmed signings

Post by Bluemike » 10 Sep 2020, 19:26

I was definitely no fan of re-employing a twice sacked manager and I'm still not. However, if we're not in the top 6 by Xmas, he has to go.

On a different note, where did this inane comment that a team will "up their game" when playing against us come from?

Post Reply