New players - rumours

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Re: New players - rumours

Post by tonyp » 07 Aug 2020, 19:19

Bluemike wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 18:02
Is it the case that we have to sell Ivan first before we can start making offers on players the club is wanting? Anybody know? Other clubs scouts/managers will have spotted decent players and I'd hate to think we get beaten to them.
Only DMac would know for sure. But that is certainly the way it seems.

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 07 Aug 2020, 21:04

True enough. But whilst Celtic and Derby may be 'interested', the replacement striker to score 25+ goals for Posh currently doesn't actually exist. That has to be worrying to all on this forum. If we have any aspirations of promotion, we need, imo, to get in there now.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Aug 2020, 23:41

Bluemike wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 21:04
True enough. But whilst Celtic and Derby may be 'interested', the replacement striker to score 25+ goals for Posh currently doesn't actually exist. That has to be worrying to all on this forum. If we have any aspirations of promotion, we need, imo, to get in there now.
... or insist that Toney stays on for another season. He could well help us get into the Championship but he would then be worth nothing as his contract would have run down. The only other alternative to that is to make sure that we get him to sign another decent contract. (highly unlikely) This would go against all our stated aims, making us out to be inveterate liars by not sticking to our promises. Nobody would want to come to Posh as a youngster in order to improve and help them in their careers. As Bluemike effectively says, 'There is no striker out there that could replace him.'
This is becoming a decision making nightmare for DMac and Co. They may have to bite the bullet and let Toney go for a lot less than they think he is worth and go with the following scenario.
Barry and co. have to unearth the next super hero from an unlikely source, be it from League one or below this level. They have done it before and they will probably do it again; sell Toney for maybe only £5m and splash out on an unheard as yet youngster from a lower league that will be able to do the job. It's all a very large gamble. I wish them luck!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 08 Aug 2020, 17:32

If the owners are determined to get into the championship, they do do indeed need to bit the bullet and let Ivan go for the supposed 4 million offer. Hanging on in the hope that some club will offer 10 million, when so many are suffering financially from the effects of Covid, is imo stupid. 4 million is effectively free money. He didn't cost us that so let's focus in on going up rather than living in some 10 million pound utopia.

Sell him tomorrow and give BF the nod to get into the market which is dwindling with talent as I type.

ashman

Post by ashman » 08 Aug 2020, 18:23

Bluemike wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 17:32
If the owners are determined to get into the championship, they do do indeed need to bit the bullet and let Ivan go for the supposed 4 million offer. Hanging on in the hope that some club will offer 10 million, when so many are suffering financially from the effects of Covid, is imo stupid. 4 million is effectively free money. He didn't cost us that so let's focus in on going up rather than living in some 10 million pound utopia.

Sell him tomorrow and give BF the nod to get into the market which is dwindling with talent as I type.
.... and 40% of that £4m will go to Newcastle United!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 08 Aug 2020, 20:42

DMac, in my opinion, is first and foremost a businessman. He is also a Posh fan but not in the way most members of this message board are.
Obviously he wants to get as much as possible for Toney.
He also wants Posh to succeed in the 20/21 season just as we all do. But it will also affect his back pocket.
I won't be disappointed if Toney is still with us for 20/21.

ashman

Post by ashman » 08 Aug 2020, 21:03

tonyp wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 20:42
DMac, in my opinion, is first and foremost a businessman. He is also a Posh fan but not in the way most members of this message board are.
Obviously he wants to get as much as possible for Toney.
He also wants Posh to succeed in the 20/21 season just as we all do. But it will also affect his back pocket.
I won't be disappointed if Toney is still with us for 20/21.
I don't think any serious Posh fan would want Toney to leave, neither would DMac. The trouble is, if he stays and fails to renew his contract then he will become worthless in the transfer market by summer 2021.
My ideal (it won't happen though) is for Toney to sign a contract for two or more years, stay with the club and help get us back into the Championship and then be sold before his contract runs out. This would be ideal for his own development and for the club's coffers. I can but dream!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 09 Aug 2020, 02:23

ashman wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:03

I don't think any serious Posh fan would want Toney to leave, neither would DMac.
DMac will be happy for Toney to leave. He reportedly said-
This is not my first rodeo. I know how to operate.
I am transparent in my negotiations. We have a fee in mind for Ivan and when a club reaches that number they can talk to him.
http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/celti ... wball-bid/

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Aug 2020, 07:19

tonyp wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 02:23
ashman wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:03

I don't think any serious Posh fan would want Toney to leave, neither would DMac.
DMac will be happy for Toney to leave. He reportedly said-
This is not my first rodeo. I know how to operate.
I am transparent in my negotiations. We have a fee in mind for Ivan and when a club reaches that number they can talk to him.
http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/celti ... wball-bid/
That's like saying he doesn't want us to get promotion, which has always been his aim. Finding the balance between selling a player for good profit or giving them a chance to further their career is a delicate balance.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Aug 2020, 18:32

Even if Toney is sold, Ricky - Jade Jones is becoming an excellent prospect and Brad Rolt is enjoying a fine pre season.

I'm not worried really

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Aug 2020, 22:00

DaveLister wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:32
Even if Toney is sold, Ricky - Jade Jones is becoming an excellent prospect and Brad Rolt is enjoying a fine pre season.

I'm not worried really
It's not the scoring of goals that worries me. It is the supply from midfield that needs sorting. We haven't replaced Szmodics, Brown and Knight in a midfield that was superb from the end of the transfer window until the end of the season.
The defence needs a touch of inspiration too!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Aug 2020, 08:43

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/brist ... fl-rivals/

One player coming back I would never have thought of, I thought bridges had been burned,obviously to be Toney replacement hard boots to fill
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 27 Aug 2020, 10:51

oh please god no!!!! Did we not learn our lesson with Tyrone Barnett?

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 27 Aug 2020, 13:07

Oh no. That's a shocking signing - and for over a million!
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 27 Aug 2020, 15:15

To show you how bad it is I'm actually in agreement with Gaz_Miller for the first time :oops: :oops: . If Fergie hadn't sold Matt Godden he wouldn't need to burn a million on this character, horrendous singing absolutely horrendous and worse than any of the 'mentally' strong dross Uncle Stevie signed!