IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

trevormans
Posts: 634
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by trevormans » 03 Feb 2020, 11:12

can anybody tell me whether alf ramsey was manager of Ipswich when we beat them in the cup (1960)

thediceman
Posts: 851
Joined: 10 Dec 2009, 13:40

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by thediceman » 03 Feb 2020, 11:18

trevormans wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 11:12
can anybody tell me whether alf ramsey was manager of Ipswich when we beat them in the cup (1960)
Alf Ramsay was Ipswich Town manager between 1955-1963.

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9638
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by Brianposh » 03 Feb 2020, 11:22

thediceman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 11:18
trevormans wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 11:12
can anybody tell me whether alf ramsey was manager of Ipswich when we beat them in the cup (1960)
Alf Ramsay was Ipswich Town manager between 1955-1963.
Yep, and then became England Manager 1963
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

trevormans
Posts: 634
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by trevormans » 03 Feb 2020, 20:12

thanks

another trivial question

How many times have we played Norwich in the league??

when?

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29252
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by bristleposh » 03 Feb 2020, 20:42

trevormans wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 20:12
thanks

another trivial question

How many times have we played Norwich in the league??

when?
No

http://www.uptheposh.com/teams/17/

Although this website hasn’t been brought up to date in the last few seasons it shows from 1960 onwards quite clearly, the last couple of years Norwich have been above us.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

dunc
Posts: 2483
Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 01:40
Location: shropshire

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by dunc » 03 Feb 2020, 21:47

My league stats from 1960 onwards show that Norwich City are 1 of only 10 current football league clubs (Premier and 3 EFL leagues) that have never played Posh in a league game. I don't know whether there were any years between 1934 and 1960 we may have played them.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29252
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by bristleposh » 04 Feb 2020, 00:26

dunc wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 21:47
My league stats from 1960 onwards show that Norwich City are 1 of only 10 current football league clubs (Premier and 3 EFL leagues) that have never played Posh in a league game. I don't know whether there were any years between 1934 and 1960 we may have played them.
certainly not in league games although we did play their Reserves several times, see my link in previous post
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18184
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by ashman » 04 Feb 2020, 09:06

bristleposh wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 00:26
dunc wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 21:47
My league stats from 1960 onwards show that Norwich City are 1 of only 10 current football league clubs (Premier and 3 EFL leagues) that have never played Posh in a league game. I don't know whether there were any years between 1934 and 1960 we may have played them.
certainly not in league games although we did play their Reserves several times, see my link in previous post
I've never even been to Carrow Road, which is a weird statistic, as it is one of the closest of our fellow East Anglian teams!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

trevormans
Posts: 634
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by trevormans » 04 Feb 2020, 17:03

I think I remember Norwich playing at london road in a friendly under floodlights when we were perhaps non league

I think we played several other games almost as exhibition games against arsenal Middlesbrough west ham and a Scottish team all around that time

I guess the attendance was regularly near 10000 each time but I'm just guessing

I also remember watching peterborough boys in front of biggish crowds especially when angelo d'ambrosio was captain maybe around 1965?
He left to join Juventus aged 15
I wonder what happened to him?

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16461
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: IPSWICH TOWN v POSH

Post by DaveLister » 04 Feb 2020, 17:46

Norwich won an FA Cup third round tie 3-0 against Posh at London Road in January 2013
Image

Post Reply