Ivan Toney

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Gaz_Miller » 28 Jan 2020, 08:58

Bluemike wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 22:35
I can't argue with you when you say we're a "selling club". We've all seen it over the years and potentially it's gonna repeat itself with Marcus and (hopefully not) Ivan.
The issue for the fans may just be why pitch up when your best players are gonna be sold on and the club's happy for you to renew your season ticket to stay in L1.
This is quite correct.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself "am I suppoerting a club that will never go anywhere?"

Some people accept that, which is fair enough.
I have no internet friends

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2020, 09:32

Gaz_Miller wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 08:58
Bluemike wrote:
I can't argue with you when you say we're a "selling club". We've all seen it over the years and potentially it's gonna repeat itself with Marcus and (hopefully not) Ivan.
The issue for the fans may just be why pitch up when your best players are gonna be sold on and the club's happy for you to renew your season ticket to stay in L1.
This is quite correct.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself "am I suppoerting a club that will never go anywhere?"

Even the largest clubs of the world are 'selling clubs.'
So have you asked yourself that question and what is the answer?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2020, 09:32

Gaz_Miller wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 08:58
Bluemike wrote:
This is quite correct.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 28 Jan 2020, 11:52

ashman wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 09:32
I've been going for forty-nine years & kind of accepted it.

However, with the current set up, I believe the three owners have the most ambition than any previous owners during the past five decades. If they start selling the prize assets too then I will have to have a rethink.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 28 Jan 2020, 11:52

ashman wrote:

However, with the current set up, I believe the three owners have the most ambition than any previous owners during the past five decades. If they start selling the prize assets too then I will have to have a rethink.

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 28 Jan 2020, 14:40

As a small fish in a very big pond, we must be proud that we can attract players like Toney. I personally think he is perhaps the most valuable asset that we have ever had at this club. Not only is he a natural goalscorer, but his overall game is very very impressive. There are not many top strikers in any of the four leagues who are equally dominant in both penalty areas. Toney has it all and the silly money that has been mentioned for his, services, in my view is fully justified. He would definitely not look out of place in the Championship and with the right coaching maybe the Premiership.Obviously I would like him to stay with the Posh, but I certainly wouldn't grudge him a move to a bigger club. He could become a very good player at a higher level.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 28 Jan 2020, 19:45

Gaz_Miller wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 11:52
ashman wrote:

If you've been going that long, you'll recall as i do, the likes of David Seaman, Martin Pike and Jimmy Bullard sold for peanuts.

Under the present administration, that simply wont happen. Dmac has the backbone to not allow a player to leave until we receive a deal in the best interests of the football club.

White G

Post by White G » 28 Jan 2020, 20:03

The boy has real ability but we have to take the money being talked about here. It's crazy money & the ceiling for League One players can't be much higher than that. He isn't the finished article and we need to realise how much such a sum could do for us.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 28 Jan 2020, 20:28

White G wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 20:03
The boy has real ability but we have to take the money being talked about here. It's crazy money & the ceiling for League One players can't be much higher than that. He isn't the finished article and we need to realise how much such a sum could do for us.
It could pay off Mr MacAnthony's loans to the club

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 28 Jan 2020, 23:58

All good points, but it comes back to my original question on this thread. Are we selling our best players (again) for money, or do we want to get into the Championship?
I appreciate that football is a business but patting ourselves on the back for buying shrewdly and selling for a profit does not get us out of League 1.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 29 Jan 2020, 09:19

White G wrote:
Good post, Whitey

ashman

Post by ashman » 29 Jan 2020, 09:38

DaveLister wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 09:19
White G wrote:
Good post, Whitey
Disagree here. If he is worth these phenomenal amounts of money right now, he will still be worth loads come the end of the season. Just think what he would be worth if we happen to achieve promotion to the Championship, with his help. If we do then he is just the sort of player that we will need to keep us there or he will go for even more than is being talked about now.

Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 » 29 Jan 2020, 12:21

Ivan Toney will leave the club if we don't achieve promotion to the Championship. That's my opinion.

ashman

Post by ashman » 29 Jan 2020, 14:16

Gazza8 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:21
Ivan Toney will leave the club if we don't achieve promotion to the Championship. That's my opinion.
That's a given!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 29 Jan 2020, 14:24

ashman wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 09:38
DaveLister wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 09:19
White G wrote:
Good post, Whitey
Disagree here. If he is worth these phenomenal amounts of money right now, he will still be worth loads come the end of the season. Just think what he would be worth if we happen to achieve promotion to the Championship, with his help. If we do then he is just the sort of player that we will need to keep us there or he will go for even more than is being talked about now.
I would assume that if he went after promotion he would go to a premier league minor player, not to a fellow championship team.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid