Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Posh v Gillingham (Sat Jan 11)

Post by tonyp » 04 Jan 2020, 22:54

From the Official site
https://www.theposh.com/matches/fixture ... 6-apr-19/#
Saturday 6 April 2019
Posh made it back to back home league wins for the first time since August as two goals in the second half from Marcus Maddison and Matt Godden secured a 2-0 victory over Gillingham in front of over 8,000 supporters at London Road.
Full-time: Posh 2-0 Gillingham
Attendance: 8,331 (544 Gillingham fans)
Posh: Chapman, Naismith, Woodyard, Tafazolli, Dembele, Reed (sub Knight 82min), Bennett, Toney (sub Godden 64min), Lafferty, Maddison, Tomlin (sub Cooper 75min). Unused subs: O’Malley, Cooke, Denton, Stevens.

It would be good to see similar support this time. Our away following has been great but entirely different at home.

Gillingham play West Ham tonight (Sunday) in the FA Cup.
"Gillingham boss Steve Evans" has named the same starting XI for their past five matches, but Alex Jakubiak is pushing for a start up front.
The League One side, who are unbeaten in seven games in all competitions, remain without long-term absentee Mark Byrne (knee).

Whatever happens tonight "Gillingham boss Steve Evans" and even his greatest fan Gaz_Miller will be facing an uphill battle to avoid a loss at London Road.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Re: Posh v Gillingham (Sat Jan 11)

Post by bristleposh » 04 Jan 2020, 23:40

The Evans derby
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 05 Jan 2020, 05:54

From the Telegraph
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... uld-still/
Even if I took Gillingham to the Premier League, some football fans would still hate me, says Steve Evans
When it became clear that Evans was a candidate for the Gillingham job, back in May, some fans even threatened a boycott.
In 2018, at Peterborough, he became the first manager to be banned from the touchline after receiving four yellow cards for misconduct.
Evans says he has calmed down in recent years. He also does not think his unpopularity is a result of events at Boston. “That was 20 years ago,” he says. “Some people who talk about that now were not even born then.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 05 Jan 2020, 19:48

It will be interesting to see if Evans shouts like a maniac at his players on Saturday. I have never seen a manager like him bawling constantly loudly for 90 minutes throughout a game and that's not exaggerating. I reckon it was one of the reasons he got the push (we were sixth in the league?)
It's one thing being passionate but he and his assistant were just over the top aggressive. Not what you want when you have young players.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 05 Jan 2020, 21:10

DoubleRay wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 19:48
It will be interesting to see if Evans shouts like a maniac at his players on Saturday. I have never seen a manager like him bawling constantly loudly for 90 minutes throughout a game and that's not exaggerating. I reckon it was one of the reasons he got the push (we were sixth in the league?)
It's one thing being passionate but he and his assistant were just over the top aggressive. Not what you want when you have young players.
I agree with this. (Hunter Davis' book 'The Glory Game' gives a portrait of Spurs' coach Eddie Bailly which suggests he might have been a model for Evans.)

What bothers me is that both Evans and Raynor came exactly as advertised; they didn't suddenly mutate into tantrum-throwing touchline troglodytes on arrival at Peterborough. The chairman knew exactly the nature of the beasts he was appointing.
Last edited by JohnC on 05 Jan 2020, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 05 Jan 2020, 22:01

JohnC wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 21:10

I agree with this. (Hunter Davis' book 'The Glory Game' gives a portrait of Spurs' coach Eddie Bailly which suggests he might have been a model for Evans.)

What bothers me is that both Evans and Raynor came exactly as advertised; they didn't suddenly mutate into tantrum-throwing touchline troglodytes on arrival at Peterborough. They chairman knew exactly the nature of the beasts he was appointing.
Spot on again.

If Evans (& Raynor) were sacked for their sideline antics then why had it taken MacAnthony & Fry by surprise? He's done it all his career. I remember going to watch Stamford a few times when he was in charge, and his language was disgraceful (given that there was literally nobody in attendance to drown out the sound).

So, if it was their antics, the chairman & director of football need to hang their heads in shame for not carrying out due diligence. If it was the results then why aren't they looking at the current management team for exactly the same as this time last year?

Very strange & it now looks as though the chairman can only work with one person. That doesn't bode well for the long term.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Jan 2020, 09:35

Finally the Evans brigade has admitted that they were 'tantrum-throwing touchline troglodytes!' I've got news for you - that obnoxious pair will never return to Peterborough United in any official capacity! Move on and follow your God!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 07 Jan 2020, 00:42

ashman wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 09:35
Finally the Evans brigade has admitted that they were 'tantrum-throwing touchline troglodytes!' I've got news for you - that obnoxious pair will never return to Peterborough United in any official capacity! Move on and follow your God!
That's about as asinine a posting as I can recall reading on this forum. 'Move on and follow your God' is, in my view, intemperate, hysterical and offensive language.

I'm not aware of any advocacy for an Evans return. I think it's not helpful to conflate a team's success with the touchline demeanour of its manager. Neil Warnock, winner of a record eight promotions in English football, is scarcely known for his genial affability on the sideline. My own (simplified) view is that if a manager is sacked after less than a season in situ with his team in a play-off position, then it's reasonable to hope for an improvement on that showing from his successor. After forty(?) games under the current management, I look at the league table, and make a comparison with our status this time last season, and I don't see progress. It could all change for the better very quickly, of course, and Saturday provides the perfect opportunity for a 'statement' victory. No one's hat will be hurled higher in the air than mine if we administer a sound drubbing to Gillingham.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2020, 07:46

At no point have I considered our team's success/failure as anything to do with the antics of the Evans era. We could have been top of league one, but I would still not want him here spouting his foul language and disgraceful attitude on the touchlines. Nothing will ever change my mind about this character and his sidekick Raynor.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 07 Jan 2020, 08:34

ashman wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 07:46
At no point have I considered our team's success/failure as anything to do with the antics of the Evans era. We could have been top of league one, but I would still not want him here spouting his foul language and disgraceful attitude on the touchlines. Nothing will ever change my mind about this character and his sidekick Raynor.
For the record, I wouldn't take Evans back because he's shot it at Posh. McCann is the man I never wanted sacking & he's proving just what a success he will be once left alone to manage how he wantes.

However, managers anctics aside, do you agree with JohnC in that sacking a manager whilst in the play-off positions, we should all have expected an improvement 12 months later?

Given that the current manager has a much higher budget & the league is much weaker this season, it's really been a disaster in playing terms.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2020, 09:22

Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 08:34
ashman wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 07:46
For the record, I wouldn't take Evans back because he's shot it at Posh. McCann is the man I never wanted sacking & he's proving just what a success he will be once left alone to manage how he wantes.

However, managers anctics aside, do you agree with JohnC in that sacking a manager whilst in the play-off positions, we should all have expected an improvement 12 months later?

Given that the current manager has a much higher budget & the league is much weaker this season, it's really been a disaster in playing terms.
What gives you the idea that the league is much weaker than last season? However, I agree with you about McCann, but he was really only serving his apprenticeship at Posh and he is now beginning to show his true abilities. I still cannot put a manager's antics aside when it comes to things Posh. We are now in a similar position with Fergie as we were with Evans but with a much younger squad, which is now beginning to show that developing home grown players is part of the way to achieving success. Eventually the manner in which DMac and Fergie are driving this club is likely to prove more successful than the manner in which SE and PR were engineering. As many outside our walls have said, one of the most important facets within a club is the relationship between owner and manager.
The fact that we are playing a much more entertaining game is as important to the fans, almost as much as league position. Most fans, and indeed players, are enjoying the football being played considerably more than before. Ask Mr Naismith if he agrees! :D
I guess we need to agree to disagree.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Jan 2020, 09:46

This is a must win game for Fergie and for Evans.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 07 Jan 2020, 09:56

tonyp wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 09:46
Why is it a must win for Evans?

I agree 100% that Fergie MUST win

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Jan 2020, 20:56

From the Gillingham Official site
https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ ... r-bromley/
The Gaffer has placed Assistant Manager Paul Raynor in charge for tomorrow’s match at Bromley and he will be assisted by Youth Team Manager, Craig Stone.

The Manager will not be in attendance as he will be on a scouting assessment.
My priority is Saturday's match at Peterborough, it has my sole focus.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Jan 2020, 22:54

Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 09:56
tonyp wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 09:46
Why is it a must win for Evans?

I agree 100% that Fergie MUST win
If Gillingham win they will be level on points with Posh. Probably around 10th place in the table.
That's enough to make (most of) us to want Posh to win.
In the unlikely event that Gillingham do win then you and Evans will be gloating about it.