Re: Alex Woodyard

Post by JohnC » 05 Jan 2020, 21:32

DaveLister wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 14:54
bristleposh wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 21:42
tonyp wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 21:10

Not surprising that you and Fergie don't agree.
Manager Darren Ferguson said: “Woodyard has been a very good professional, he hasn’t let anyone down, he wanted more regular football. He has been playing of late but that has been down to injuries but he has done fine for us. I wished him all the best and he will go there and get more game time. I’ve enjoyed working with him.”
Wasn't he signed by a truly shocking manager
Thats him.

Might be a coincidence, but the same shocking manager signed the equally shocking O'Hara, Chapman and Bennett
I've yet to be convinced that Pym is an upgrade on Chapman, who was, I believe, a League Two 'Gold Glove' winner in the season before he signed for us.

O'Hara and Bennett contributed eight League One goals (four apiece) last season . This season, Butler, Mason, Beevers, Kent, Bennett, FBT, Woodyard, Boyd, Reed, Ward, Dembele and (loanee) Knight have also amassed eight L1 goals, offset by five own goals, leaving a net total of three goals shared between twelve players, all of whom have at least double-figure appearances.

If Bennett is 'shocking', may we have an adjective for Butler (he of the two own-goals, and one foolish last-minute penalty conceded at Wycombe)?

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 05 Jan 2020, 21:55

JohnC wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 21:32
I've yet to be convinced that Pym is an upgrade on Chapman, who was, I believe, a League Two 'Gold Glove' winner in the season before he signed for us.

O'Hara and Bennett contributed eight League One goals (four apiece) last season . This season, Butler, Mason, Beevers, Kent, Bennett, FBT, Woodyard, Boyd, Reed, Ward, Dembele and (loanee) Knight have also amassed eight L1 goals, offset by five own goals, leaving a net total of three goals shared between twelve players, all of whom have at least double-figure appearances.

If Bennett is 'shocking', may we have an adjective for Butler (he of the two own-goals, and one foolish last-minute penalty conceded at Wycombe)?
Spot on JohnC.

Ferguson has been given a much bigger budget but has not signed anybody better than we already had.

I'm very concerned how much more he wastes during this transfer window.
I'm being stalked by Roland off Grange Hill

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Jan 2020, 09:31

Players mature at different rates and at different ages. I don't know what has happened to Ryan Bennett but for the last two games he has been, or has been very close to the man of the match. It could have been that he has finally got rid of the spectre of Steve Evans and is now beginning to show his top form. Maybe Fergie has given him a good pep-up or he had just been going through a bad patch. That sort of thing happens to nearly all players at some time during a career and labelling players as 'shocking' as opposed to them having a 'shocking game or poor run of form' is wrong. Whatever has caused the turnaround doesn't matter, but we have now got a very good centre back playing at the top of his game and I hope this form continues. Nothing is guaranteed of course. IMO, for now, he is a first pick in front of Frankie Kent who may have to wait before he gets back in the team. Beevers needs to buck his ideas up too. (but he did have a very good game at Burnley!)
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 06 Jan 2020, 09:44

Bennett was very close to man of the match on Boxing Day against Doncaster & three days later Fergie dropped him at Rotherham.

To try to give Ferguson credit for Bennett's form is as desperate as I've ever seen on a football forum.

The fact is that Ferguson tried to replace him in the summer and, yet again, signed somebody worse. Being the stubborn fool he is, it's taken injuries & suspensions to bring in the better player.

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Jan 2020, 09:59

Gaz_Miller wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 09:44
Bennett was very close to man of the match on Boxing Day against Doncaster & three days later Fergie dropped him at Rotherham.

To try to give Ferguson credit for Bennett's form is as desperate as I've ever seen on a football forum.

The fact is that Ferguson tried to replace him in the summer and, yet again, signed somebody worse. Being the stubborn fool he is, it's taken injuries & suspensions to bring in the better player.
... and I refer you to the fact that players form changes over time. Bennett is now showing that he is back to his best. For the preceding months he had shown so many faults in his game and deserved to be dropped and listed. Fergie has played it correctly and the immaturity of Kent has been exposed recently. I have no doubt that in the future Kent will become a very good player for us.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Jan 2020, 10:17

I think one foolish moment by Kent has been over hyped. From what I’ve seen of the three centre backs including a few live appearances, He is better than Beevers and ought to be partnering Bennett.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 06 Jan 2020, 14:27

ashman wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 09:31
Players mature at different rates and at different ages. I don't know what has happened to Rhys Bennett but for the last two games he has been, or has been very close to the man of the match. It could have been that he has finally got rid of the spectre of Steve Evans and is now beginning to show his top form. Maybe Fergie has given him a good pep-up or he had just been going through a bad patch. That sort of thing happens to nearly all players at some time during a career and labelling players as 'shocking' as opposed to them having a 'shocking game or poor run of form' is wrong. Whatever has caused the turnaround doesn't matter, but we have now got a very good centre back playing at the top of his game and I hope this form continues. Nothing is guaranteed of course. IMO, for now, he is a first pick in front of Frankie Kent who may have to wait before he gets back in the team. Beevers needs to buck his ideas up too. (but he did have a very good game at Burnley!)
Good point re Bennett. The fact he's cut out (some of the) mistakes can't be a coincidence that Evans is out of the building.

As for Pym being no better than Chapman, he isnt that ****.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 06 Jan 2020, 15:59

Rhys...…….Ryan is now at Wolves. :D :D
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 06 Jan 2020, 18:28

Brianposh wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 15:59
Rhys...…….Ryan is now at Wolves. :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2020, 07:37

DaveLister wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 14:27
ashman wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 09:31
Players mature at different rates and at different ages. I don't know what has happened to Rhys Bennett but for the last two games he has been, or has been very close to the man of the match. It could have been that he has finally got rid of the spectre of Steve Evans and is now beginning to show his top form. Maybe Fergie has given him a good pep-up or he had just been going through a bad patch. That sort of thing happens to nearly all players at some time during a career and labelling players as 'shocking' as opposed to them having a 'shocking game or poor run of form' is wrong. Whatever has caused the turnaround doesn't matter, but we have now got a very good centre back playing at the top of his game and I hope this form continues. Nothing is guaranteed of course. IMO, for now, he is a first pick in front of Frankie Kent who may have to wait before he gets back in the team. Beevers needs to buck his ideas up too. (but he did have a very good game at Burnley!)
Good point re Bennett. The fact he's cut out (some of the) mistakes can't be a coincidence that Evans is out of the building.

As for Pym being no better than Chapman, he isnt that ****.
I didn't even mention Pym!!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Jan 2020, 08:58

ashman wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 07:37
DaveLister wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 14:27
As for Pym being no better than Chapman, he isnt that ****.[/b]
I didn't even mention Pym!!
JohnC did.
JohnC wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 21:32
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 21 Jan 2020, 09:36

Not sure if this link will work but I can’t believe this is the same Alex Woodyard who looked completely lost at Posh...

https://twitter.com/tranmererovers/stat ... 04354?s=21

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 21 Jan 2020, 10:05

Contrary to what other Posh fans might think, I've always liked Woodyard. Not the quickest of players or the most gifted, but always put a shift in. His best position was in front of the back four where he could be used as a defensive midfielder. We haven't got anyone like him now, all powder puff replacements who are attack minded but defensively weak. When you come up against the likes of teams like Rotherham, it's no wonder we get overrun in midfield. In Fergie we Trust??

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2020, 10:30

pleasureboy60 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 10:05
Contrary to what other Posh fans might think, I've always liked Woodyard. Not the quickest of players or the most gifted, but always put a shift in. His best position was in front of the back four where he could be used as a defensive midfielder. We haven't got anyone like him now, all powder puff replacements who are attack minded but defensively weak. When you come up against the likes of teams like Rotherham, it's no wonder we get overrun in midfield. In Fergie we Trust??
Absolutely, he is being allowed to play in his best position not in a sodding diamond as a right winger.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 02 Feb 2020, 19:10

Woodyard is totally 4th division/non-league - the sort of player that tries hard and some supporters like that but extremely limited. Meanwhile Toney and Dembele showing up as very good signings