Half-term Report

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Half-term Report

Post by JohnC » 29 Dec 2019, 11:36

Just as the draw at Wycombe put a negative slant on the First-quarter report, so the reverse against Doncaster leaves the cup looking -- temporarily, one hopes --half-empty.

League Table
Fourth place looks creditable, but it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise if Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Portsmouth and Coventry converted their games-in-hand to leave us in eighth place: ‘not quite good enough’ to quote from my first-quarter report.

Our first-quarter record read:
P11 W 5 D 3 L 3 F 26 A 15 Pts 18

The second quarter looks like this:
P11 W 5 D3 L3 F 17 A 13 Pts 18

We are four points worse off than at the same point last season, when our record was
P22 W11 D7 L4 F40 A28 Pts 40

Again: to quote from my First-quarter report:
‘….it’s hard to perceive progress…. It’s hard to argue that the managerial change has had a positive effect on our results….’

Goals
Given that we’ve scored just three more goals than last season at this point, and just four in our last six games, I refer again to my First-quarter report:
‘We’re in danger of squandering the rich vein of form enjoyed by Eisa, Toney and Maddison, if we haven’t done so already.
Adding a £1m+ striker should have added up to more than a three-goal improvement on last season’s return at this stage. Eisa has one L1 goal in his last seven games.

Defence
Nine clean sheets as opposed to four at this point last season is an excellent effort. Unfortunately, in ten games we’ve conceded two or more goals.
The completely revamped defence has conceded the same number of goals as last season’s.
It has shipped three own goals, and scored just once at the other end, so I make that minus-two in the overall 'goals for' ledger. Ivan Toney makes his presence felt on the defensive end, so I think that it’s time Kent, Beevers, Mason, Butler, Thompson and FBT made more of a contribution in the opposition penalty area.

Midfield
Maddison is the standout goal-scoring contributor, although he hasn’t scored in his last five games. Reed, Knight, Boyd and Woodyard have combined for three L1 goals. Absence through injury is a factor here, but if Mark O’Hara could manage four goals in his first ten L1 appearances last season, surely we should expect more from these four. Dembele and Ward have contributed three goals.
Boyd has missed seven of our twenty-two L1 fixtures. He has suggested that he is playing deeper than he might wish (though I’m sure FBT appreciated Boyd’s proximity in his first few appearances), and the Chairman has raised the possibility that he might have been ‘overplayed’. The manager has risked damaging his thoroughbred by deploying him on carthorse duties. There’s still time for Boyd to become the integral player that was envisaged rather than the peripheral figure he has become. I bet Eisa would appreciate a more frequent Boyd presence in the final third of the pitch.

The ‘Perfect Strangers’ Match-making Site
‘Mo Eisa, I’d like you to meet Ivan Toney. Ivan….’

Hats Off….
….to Ivan Toney, who has been magnificent this season. He plays the game as it should be played, in my opinion.

Looking on the Bright Side
When/If normal goal-scoring service is resumed, we are a threat both inside and outside the box, in the air and on the ground.

If we are in a position requiring defence and determination to preserve a lead or point, I’d back a line-up including Toney, Boyd, Woodyard, Dembele and Ward to make it very hard for the opposition to get comfortable on the ball.

Gaz_Miller

Re: Half-term Report

Post by Gaz_Miller » 01 Jan 2020, 20:23

JohnC wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 11:36

We are four points worse off than at the same point last season, when our record was

‘….it’s hard to perceive progress…. It’s hard to argue that the managerial change has had a positive effect on our results….’
And therein lies the problem - he has made NO positive impact whatsoever.

Even if people wanted Evans out, surely nobody can argue with facts that Ferguson has definitely NOT made us any better.

Please MacAnthony think!
I have no internet friends

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 01 Jan 2020, 21:05

Get Colin out of retirement
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 01 Jan 2020, 22:25

Wait until we see how the new signings perform.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 01 Jan 2020, 22:38

Gaz_Miller wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 20:23
JohnC wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 11:36

And therein lies the problem - he has made NO positive impact whatsoever.

Even if people wanted Evans out, surely nobody can argue with facts that Ferguson has definitely NOT made us any better.

Please MacAnthony think!
The difference being Evans wouldn't be dictated to by the chairman whereas Fergie is just a lapdog!!!!

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 01 Jan 2020, 23:50

pleasureboy60 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 22:38
The difference being Evans wouldn't be dictated to by the chairman whereas Fergie is just a lapdog!!!!
Is the correct answer.

Just look how well Evans is doing at relegation favourites Gillingham. A serial winner.

Should also have stuck with McCann who is showing what a great manager he will be for years to come.

We’re stuck with the man with a famous surname who MacAnthony can control.

What a waste with the club being in its strongest position ever financially
I have no internet friends