Time to upset a few people

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Dec 2019, 14:51

One of the best performances by a Posh side for a long time last night, and that was mainly the reserves, it shows the limitations of the diamond. Three central defenders, and two holding midfielders, gave us far better options coming out of defence, it als gave us better cover when we were attacked. The overlapping fullbacks were a big positive, this was the position I think Mark Little excelled in. The defensive duties for these two wing backs mean that Joe Ward, George Boyd, Idris Kanu or Dan Butler in the absence of Frazer Blake-Tracey would be the go to picks, although I have no doubt some would argue for Nathan Thompson or Niall Mason if they are not on central defensive duties. In central midfield I think AlexWoodyard did enough last night to earn a place, with a man of the match performance, alongside either Louis Reed, Josh Knight or Kyle Barker. This would leave a front three, a number ten and the two strikers. You've got to pick Mo Eisa and Ivan Toney. the number ten is where this gets controversial, our very own Ashman has suggested that Maddison is wasted in the middle of the field, and as he is too lightweight to play one of the wingback rolls, I think either Siriki Dembele or Serhat Tasdemir or even George Boyd may be better suited to that role.

Don't shoot the messenger we all know it's not likely to happen because Darren can't see past his beloved diamond.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

DoubleRay

Re: Time to upset a few people

Post by DoubleRay » 05 Dec 2019, 16:03

Darren's the manager for a reason. I think you just have to trust in him a bit more.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Dec 2019, 16:36

DoubleRay wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 16:03
Darren's the manager for a reason. I think you just have to trust in him a bit more.
I do think he's doing a good job, I especially admire the way he has been rotating his squad to get the best from them, I just tend to think that recent results in October and November seem to have stalled.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 05 Dec 2019, 22:57

DoubleRay wrote:
Darren's the manager because DMac decided he wants him as manager.
We only have to hope he's made a good decision.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Dec 2019, 08:43

DoubleRay wrote:
I trust Darren more than bristle's thoughts about dropping Maddison from the starting line up. He has been continually played when fit because he is the most influential player we have had in years and when he is missing from the team we have little or no impact going forward - but he does need to play out wide to be effective. I agree that Woodyard deserves a start and Blake Tracey was a breath of fresh air when he came on and played as a wingback. (unfortunately now injured!) Joe Ward is a one trick pony and when he learns how to pass a ball to a blue shirt could be quite useful but until then ....?
Three at the back could work but Beevers or Kent? Not convinced with either. I still think we need a top quality central defender. I think Kent will become one - eventually!

-------------------------------------Pym----------------------------------------

Thompson---------------------- Beevers ----------------------------- Butler

---------------------------------Reed --------------------------------------

Kanu------------------Woodyard----------------------Boyd

---------Maddison-------------Toney ---------------Eisa------------------

That team would frighten any team in the league, particularly down the right hand side. Josh Knight to maybe replace Woodyard when he returns, one hard working hard guy replacing the other one. Dembele never to be used as a starter - superb as an impact sub. Good balance of defence, midfield and strikers on the bench. Harrison Burrows misses out.

Subs: Chapman, Kent, Dembele, Tasdemir, Mason, Burrows, Jade Jones.

Finally, bristle admitting the talents of Mark Little! :clap2: :clap2: I know what he will say 'but he couldn't get back to defend!' Nobody could get back from the positions that Little got himself in. It was up to the rest of the team to cover his advances.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

poshaussie

Post by poshaussie » 06 Dec 2019, 09:34

tonyp wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 22:57
DoubleRay wrote:
Darren's the manager because DMac decided he wants him as manager.
We only have to hope he's made a good decision.
:stupid:
I think that Fergie is the best manager we've had in recent years.
I don't think it's anything to with trusting him. I think we need to trust the players to follow his instructions.
Born and bred in Queensland
Queensland - Beautiful One Day, Perfect The Next

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Dec 2019, 09:38

ashman wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 08:43
DoubleRay wrote:
I trust Darren more than bristle's thoughts about dropping Maddison from the starting line up. He has been continually played when fit because he is the most influential player we have had in years and when he is missing from the team we have little or no impact going forward - but he does need to play out wide to be effective. I agree that Woodyard deserves a start and Blake Tracey was a breath of fresh air when he came on and played as a wingback. (unfortunately now injured!) Joe Ward is a one trick pony and when he learns how to pass a ball to a blue shirt could be quite useful but until then ....?
Three at the back could work but Beevers or Kent? Not convinced with either. I still think we need a top quality central defender. I think Kent will become one - eventually!

-------------------------------------Pym----------------------------------------

Thompson---------------------- Beevers ----------------------------- Butler

---------------------------------Reed --------------------------------------

Kanu------------------Woodyard----------------------Boyd

---------Maddison-------------Toney ---------------Eisa------------------

That team would frighten any team in the league, particularly down the right hand side. Josh Knight to maybe replace Woodyard when he returns, one hard working hard guy replacing the other one. Dembele never to be used as a starter - superb as an impact sub. Provided he doesn't take penalties. Good balance of defence, midfield and strikers on the bench. Harrison Burrows misses out.

Subs: Chapman, Kent, Dembele, Tasdemir, Mason, Burrows, Jade Jones.

Finally, bristle admitting the talents of Mark Little! :clap2: :clap2: I know what he will say 'but he couldn't get back to defend!' Nobody could get back from the positions that Little got himself in. It was up to the rest of the team to cover his advances. Which is exactly what is wrong with the diamond format. Because other players are then out of position whilst covering the lame duck.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 06 Dec 2019, 10:07

bristleposh wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 14:51
So you didn't upset a few people after all.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Dec 2019, 11:59

bristleposh wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 09:38

Finally, bristle admitting the talents of Mark Little! :clap2: :clap2: I know what he will say 'but he couldn't get back to defend!' Nobody could get back from the positions that Little got himself in. It was up to the rest of the team to cover his advances. Which is exactly what is wrong with the diamond format. Because other players are then out of position whilst covering the lame duck.
That is not the fault of a good wingback. It's down to the rest of the team and the organisation within it to sort it. Despite this, the teams where Little played at wingback were so good to watch and generally very successful. Who would deny wanting to have a return to those days? We are not far off that now to be honest and that is down to DMac having faith in Darren and Darren's ability to stick to his principles. It has proved good in the past and will again, despite having a few hiccups. Any system will have limitations and it is how you deal with any setbacks that is important. You cannot always rely on good luck and refereeing decisions to go your way. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and realise that football is NOT an exacting science!
p.s. Mark Little never was a 'lame duck!'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Dec 2019, 13:18

He certainly was when he was in the right wing position and they were attacking at speed down their left wing

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 06 Dec 2019, 14:43

Mark Little IMO was a very good player, especially so in his last Season.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

ashman

Post by ashman » 06 Dec 2019, 20:26

Brianposh wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 14:43
You will never convince Nick of that!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Dec 2019, 20:29

ashman wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 20:26
Brianposh wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 14:43
You will never convince Nick of that!
I always maintained that if we played with three central defenders, he was far and away the best wing back we had, sadly we rarely played with three central defenders and when it was two he was a liability.