Posh and Thomas Cook

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Posh and Thomas Cook

Post by ashman » 23 Sep 2019, 16:08

Free tickets for redundant TC workers as a kind gesture from the club! :clap: :clap2:

https://www.theposh.com/news/2019/septe ... employees/
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Re: Posh and Thomas Cook

Post by bristleposh » 23 Sep 2019, 16:52

It’s a wonderful gesture by the club yes, but when I was made redundant I’m pretty sure the first thing I’d want to do would be to go and watch my local football team. Different people will have differing views on this, but I think I’d be more concerned about my families and where our next meals will be coming from.

I know it’s not Posh related but I was talking to someone in the hotel this morning who was suggesting it might make BA pilots a bit reluctant to strike knowing there are several hundred/possibly thousands of pilots now unemployed who will be clambering for work.
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

White G

Post by White G » 23 Sep 2019, 20:17

Good gesture in some ways but it seems a hollow bit of philanthropy. Lots of other companies are doing such offerings & getting in the papers for it, I'm not sure how many travel agents or trolley dollys fancy coming along to watch us on Saturday while their whole life is in turmoil.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 23 Sep 2019, 21:41

ashman wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 16:08
Free tickets for redundant TC workers as a kind gesture from the club! :clap: :clap2:

https://www.theposh.com/news/2019/septe ... employees/
It is certainly a kind gesture.
But a couple of the things in the statement seem a bit odd
the football club would like to offer Thomas Cook employees free tickets for our fixture vs. AFC Wimbledon this Saturday
Some of them might view it as additional suffering.
Thomas Cook employees must visit the Ticket Office at the Weston Homes Stadium and provide proof of employment to secure their free match ticket. Additional tickets for the children of those affected are also available for a nominal fee.
So they're going have to prove they're employed when they are actually out of a job.
And they may have to tell their kids they can't afford to take them.
Please note, terms and conditions apply.
I suppose one of the conditions will be that they will not be allowed to get a ticket and sell it to someone else so that they can buy their kids a McDonalds Happy Meal.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 23 Sep 2019, 21:47

White G wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:17
I'm not sure how many travel agents or trolley dollys fancy coming along to watch us on Saturday while their whole life is in turmoil.
"coming along to watch" ?
Don't you mean going along?
Do you still live in Globogym?
I don't think you've ever lived in Globogym.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Sep 2019, 10:57

According to wikipedia
Thomas Cook had been a main sponsor of Manchester City and Peterborough United football clubs. On 22 May 2009, Manchester City announced that its six-year partnership with Thomas Cook would conclude at the end of the 2008/09 Premier League Season.
I wonder if Manchester City are offering free tickets?

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 24 Sep 2019, 16:48

I find the cynicism about this unbecoming

The club have made a genuine offer

Offering solidarity and support

I may not be for everyone of the Uk employees

But wouldn’t it be great if the gate this weekend was more than doubled

In the meantime let us celebrate that our club have shown genuine and non self seeking support

Up the posh

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Sep 2019, 21:11

tonyp wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 10:57

I wonder if Manchester City are offering free tickets?
I'd say they probably will be.
A taskforce to support Thomas Cook staff affected by the collapse of the travel company has been set up by the Manchester city-region’s authorities.
The group is made up of trades unions, Jobcentre Plus and Manchester Airports Group (MAG).
Roughly 3,000 people were working for Thomas Cook in Greater Manchester, with more than 900 cabin crew helping 2.8 million travellers through Manchester Airport each year, a tenth of the airport’s passenger numbers.
Affected staff will be able to access advice and support via a single web portal or through email: info@gmthomascook.com.
and
Liverpool and Manchester United promise to help fans facing travel chaos after Thomas Cook collapse.
A statement from United said: "As soon as we were aware of their potential insolvency, we started to work through contingency plans and we will endeavour to contact affected Manchester United fans who had booked direct via Thomas Cook."

Liverpool, meanwhile, confirmed hundreds of hospitality packages for home matches had been hit.
"Thomas Cook sells 360 hospitality packages for each of our home games at Anfield," the club said. "We are currently assessing the impact of Thomas Cook ceasing trading and the impact for those supporters who have purchased packages from Thomas Cook. Once we have those details from Thomas Cook we will update supporters."

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Sep 2019, 21:25

trevormans wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:48
I find the cynicism about this unbecoming

The club have made a genuine offer

Offering solidarity and support

I may not be for everyone of the Uk employees

But wouldn’t it be great if the gate this weekend was more than doubled

In the meantime let us celebrate that our club have shown genuine and non self seeking support

Up the posh
Don't confuse cynicism with genuine comments.
It will be interesting to learn how many people take advantage of the offer made by Posh. We all agree that it is generous, kind and wonderful.
But to hope it will double the gate is a bit optimistic. You are right it would be great.
Are you an employee of Thomas Cook? You say you are not speaking for everyone of the UK employees.
How many people are employed by Thomas Cook in and around Peterborough?

poshaussie

Post by poshaussie » 24 Sep 2019, 21:46

tonyp wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 21:41
Please note, terms and conditions apply.
I suppose one of the conditions will be that they will not be allowed to get a ticket and sell it to someone else so that they can buy their kids a McDonalds Happy Meal.
I don't know what the conditions are but I think they should be given tickets and do what they like with them. Give them (or sell them) to a friend or whatever.
Born and bred in Queensland
Queensland - Beautiful One Day, Perfect The Next

White G

Post by White G » 05 Jan 2020, 16:32

tonyp wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 21:47
White G wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:17
I'm not sure how many travel agents or trolley dollys fancy coming along to watch us on Saturday while their whole life is in turmoil.
"coming along to watch" ?
Don't you mean going along?
Do you still live in Globogym?
I don't think you've ever lived in Globogym.
Very bizarre response Tony. Time to get back on the meds I think!