Posh v Oxford

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Brianposh

Re: Posh v Oxford

Post by Brianposh » 17 Oct 2020, 17:32

Good game of football to watch and we did just have the edge. Our forward play left a lot to be desired, but the middle/defence played well. Dembele, scored a great goal, but poor play especially first half. Another win though and we rode our luck. Pym my Man of the Match.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Wilco

Post by Wilco » 17 Oct 2020, 17:41

Brianposh wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 17:32
Good game of football to watch and we did just have the edge. Our forward play left a lot to be desired, but the middle/defence played well. Dembele, scored a great goal, but poor play especially first half. Another win though and we rode our luck. Pym my Man of the Match.
Can’t argue with any of that Brian, spot on.
I thought Ward played very well first half and special mentions for Taylor, Brown, Thompson and Kent who put in a shift. Not so impressed with Beavers, why oh why does he always try to show off his silky skills when attackers are bearing down on him, just launch it!

Bluemike

Post by Bluemike » 17 Oct 2020, 18:55

Good first half, not good after the break. We've got a lot to thank Pym for. Mine, and mad Boxers MOM, is Sammie. I can't nail him down as a 10, an attacking mid-fielder or just a damn good dangerous play maker. :clap:

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 17 Oct 2020, 22:20

Just shame we have that useless lump upfront and not a decent proper striker, complete waste of money

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 17 Oct 2020, 23:41

Brianposh wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 17:32
I was able to listen to the first 70 mins or so and reflected your comments Brian. Still, a very good 3 points and a clean sheet....

stumpy

Post by stumpy » 17 Oct 2020, 23:43

We did sound dangerous down the right hand side with Ward and Thompson again

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Oct 2020, 01:20

I watched on iFollow for the first time for several years. I didn't wake up in time to watch the first half but I watched the second. I was expecting Oxford to equalise and we did well to keep them out. As soon as we scored the second goal I thought we were safe.
I was really pleased with how iFollow has improved since I last watched it.
I certainly don't think Oxford will stay in the relegation zone for the rest of the season and I do think that we are on track for promotion.
Fergie managing very well.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Oct 2020, 09:07

That was a much improved performance as a team, a couple of players slightly off the ball but the remaining eight or nine had good games

Pym 9
Thompson 8
Kent 8
Beevers 7
Butler 7
Ward 8
Brown 8
Taylor 8
Szmodics 6
JCH 7
Dembele 7

The two substitutes weren't really on long enough to be rated but were necessary replacements for different reasons. Can we have the same referee every week apparently that's eight wins with him in charge.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Oct 2020, 09:12

bristleposh wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 09:07
That was a much improved performance as a team,
Pym 9
:stupid:

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Oct 2020, 09:14

HantsPosh wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 22:20
Just shame we have that useless lump upfront and not a decent proper striker, complete waste of money
Rubbish. He is not a 'Toney' and never will be. His hold up play is very good and he seems to occupy at least one defender allowing others to cash in. He plays further up the pitch than Toney but that is not a reflection of JCH but more a compliment on the all round game of Ivan Toney. As his manager Thomas Frank says "Ivan (Toney) is about much more than goals. His link-up play and persistence are excellent and he will improve massively throughout this season. He scored two top goals and was frustrated about coming off, but it was an impact injury and I was thinking of taking him off anyway."

Sounds like a level headed chap.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/o ... l-moments/
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Oct 2020, 09:28

Wilco wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 17:41
Not so impressed with Beavers, why oh why does he always try to show off his silky skills when attackers are bearing down on him, just launch it!
He is not very good at just launching the ball. Leave that to Frankie! We are getting used to the regular slip ups with our captain, but in relation to his form last year he has definitely gone up a gear. In saying that, no forward, so far this season, has really got the better of him. If you want a top central defender you would need to pay up to £80m to get in a Harry Maguire ....... oh!
Centre forwards must dread having to compete with Beavers in the air. Along with Frankie Kent they seem to be forging a very good partnership.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Oct 2020, 09:52

ashman wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 09:28
If you want a top central defender
Anybody remember Norman Rigby?

Narrowboat Dave

Post by Narrowboat Dave » 18 Oct 2020, 12:09

Yes, alongside the very underrated and oft forgotten Keith Ripley.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Oct 2020, 14:34

Narrowboat Dave wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:09
Yes, alongside the very underrated and oft forgotten Keith Ripley.
Hadn’t forgotten either or Ellis, Jim W, Jim R, Billy, Dennis, Terry, Ray or Peter
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Oct 2020, 19:41

They would all be totally out-paced in today's football, no matter how good they were!